Bad Computer Bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Computer Bad

My PC has decided that gaming is not cool anymore. Everything works except games.

If I run BC2, I get to spawn and hang out for up to 5 seconds, then it locks up. Sometimes I get artifacts, other times I can alt tab to desktop, most times it reboots. I can run COD4 for a few minutes before getting similar results. Sound keeps working during the lockup, but I cannot really regain control in order to kill the crashed game.

So far, I've
    Reverted CPU to stock frequency/voltages (used to be overclocked in an unreasonable way: core 1 hit 69C after hours of gaming one hot day many months ago)
    Swapped out RAM to make sure it's OK
    Removed sound card
    Ran Prime 95 for as long as an hour without issues

I do not have another video card to try. FWIW, the video card does not get too hot before the crash. This is an old 8800GT with the bug where the fan is either at 30% or at 100%. It does not get to 100% before locking up.

No physical or software changes were made to the system recently. One day, it just did not want to run games.

WinXP, Intel Core2Q9400, 8800GT, GIgabyte P35-DS3L (P35/G33/G31 chipsets), 4 sticks of CORSAIR XMS2 1GB

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Bad Computer Bad

The 8800GT is a G92 chip which I believe had some problems with the lead solder balls failing. That could be your issue. Have you tried playing around with driver updates/rollbacks?
    sigpic

Comment

While I have some concerns over the "old" part of the card description, that doesn't automatically make it the culprit. Try a burn-in run specifically of the GPU, using something like the rthdribl, or 3DMark.

That's about all I can suggest, given what you've already tried. Failing that, got an empty drive you can swap in and do a clean install of Windows and COD or BC2? Might be some registry weirdness, unlikely though that is...

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

Comment

Well, BFG support thinks it is likely bad RAM on the video card and suggest I RMA it.

I'm all out of steam debbuging it. Rolling drivers either way is too much work. Esp. considering it just stopped working, without any changes to the system.

Comment

Well, I was going to point out the video card would be my first suspect, but it seems BFG has perhaps confirmed that suspicion already. I'd follow through on the RMA. At least, you'd get a new/refurb 8800GT and you could be back to gaming within 2 weeks.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You'll probably get something similar or slightly better than an 8800GT, depending on what they have laying around at the time. My cousin RMAd an 8800GTX with EVGA and they sent him a first gen GTX 260. Not a bad upgrade! :)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
              You'll probably get something similar or slightly better than an 8800GT, depending on what they have laying around at the time. My cousin RMAd an 8800GTX with EVGA and they sent him a first gen GTX 260. Not a bad upgrade! :)
              I'd go for that :) I have no experience with BFG, but I did get XFX to replace my fried 8600GT. Got a 9500GT out of the deal -- (very) slightly, but better.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X