Your Favorite Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Software

I thought it would be interesting to see what our favorite software is. Things change over time and I have found that what I use has also changed.

For browsing I like Google chrome. Was always a IE fan and never really caught the Firefox fever. Use Firefox for news groups and IE for everything else. But lately Chrome is all I use except in couple of edge cases.

For movies and neflix I use windows 7 media center. Sometimes I use IE to watch a netflix video. Music and podcasts I use the Zune software even though I don't own a Zune.

I also use the windows Live suite software and the windows security essentials for background stuff. My hotmail account is my main email account and I have added my work email to the live mail app. And I use family safety app to keep an eye on my kids.

Then there is my work. For that I use stylus studio (xml work), Visual Studio, Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual Server, SQL server 2008. Also use IIS 7.

Two very important apps are Red Gate Ants Memory and performance profiler. The best profilers I have found for .Net application development.

Also still use WX Scope for weather watching.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Your Favorite Software

I also have liked Windows Security Essentials. With WSE and Windows 7, I've had zero spyware or virus problems. Looks like MS finally got it right!

Google Earth has been simply amazing. I use it all the time for work. With the polygon tool, I can outline pieces of property I'm examining, right on top of the aerial photo. It's a very powerful tool. Plus, flying through the Grand Canyon in 3d is way cool. Try out the flight simulator mode.

For ripping my dvd/blu-ray collection, I have LOVED Slysoft's AnyDVD HD. The support has been superb, and it's by far the easiest way to rip your collection. Well worth the money.

For converting said dvd's, I use Handbrake. Making mkv files with soft subtitles, dts, or whatever settings you want has never been easier.

For converting my blu-ray's into mkv files, I've been using Ripbot264. Also a solid program. The output quality is fantastic! I'm getting full 1080p conversions under 5 gb's! A pain to get installed and running, but once you get it going, it's easy to use and well worth the initial effort.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I still prefer Firefox, though I do have IE8, Opera 10.54, and Google 5.x installed. All the browsers are there so I can test web pages on each of them to make sure I don't have any issues/bugs I need to work out before publishing to the web.

Firewall-wise, Windows Firewall (got too annoyed by Comodo, ZoneAlarm, and others' barrage of pop-up alerts). Also have a SPI hardware firewall on the router. AV-wise, I'm using Avira Free. Other security-ish software includes: Eraser and Spybot S&D.

On the audio and video front:
      - SUPER frontend with FFMPEG for transcoding videos (MediaCoder for the rare MKVs I have trouble transcoding).
      - ExactAudioCopy and MP3Tag for archiving my CD collection to high bitrate MP3s and properly tagging them with info and album art. (Debating if I want to waste HDD space by restarting with FLAC rips.)
      - VLC and WMP12 for my video and audio viewing pleasure.

Productivity-ish Software:
      - CodeBlocks + GNU GCC compiler for most of my programming needs (C/C++, JAVA, Scala, etc)
      - Notepad++ for web markup work
      - Photoshop for whatever I need it for (web work, textures, etc)
      - After Effects for animation
      - Flash Pro for animation, web stuff, UI skinning (for my S9 PMP)
      - Office
      - Maya (didn't reinstall it since it is essentially broken with ATI cards) - used it for modeling and character animations/rigging

Other Software:
      - CoreTemp runs on my taskbar giving me constant appraisal of my CPU core temps
      - Steam and Impulse
      - Virtual CloneDrive (replaces Daemon Tools and PowerISO <- huge memory leak)
      - Logitech Setpoint for my mouse and keyboard settings (yes I have a Logi mouse AND keyboard)
      - PC Wizard 2010 lets me view temps for my hard drives when I get worried

Games:
      Well, I'm not going to list all of my games. I'll just rattle off a few titles: Bad Company 2, Spring Engine with several TA-inspired mods, Supreme Commander, Modern Warfare 2, BF2142, GTA IV + EFLC, and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        - CoreTemp runs on my taskbar giving me constant appraisal of my CPU core temps
        - Virtual CloneDrive (replaces Daemon Tools and PowerISO <- huge memory leak)
        Oh yeah! I'm also using these and love them.

I almost forgot. For ripping and converting cd's to mp3's, I use CdEx. Great program!

To replace iTunes (which I absolutely loathe), I use Media Monkey. It's like iTunes for power users. SOOOOOOO much better.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Forgot to say:

I'm using Rainmeter and 7Stacks. Rainmeter (again) is replacing my Windows sidebar gadgets. 7Stacks takes the place of Quick Launch toolbar and I rely on this every day.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Games are software right?

I like games.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I keep my "daily driver" pretty lean and efficient, I format every 3 months-ish, so I don't bother with an AV. If I did It would be Panda Cloud. Kapersky has an excellent standalone AV cleaner as well. http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses...ol2010?level=2

I use sandboxie if I need to hit up suspect parts of the net for any reason as my first defense. If I think I got nailed, I just wipe the box. You can never really be sure in this day of rootkits anyways, so I save myself the trouble and performance hit of and active scanner.

For software its mostly free apps:
              Infraburn
              Google Earth
              Picasa
              CoreFTP
              Foxit Reader (Won't touch adobe reader with a 10ft pole nowadays)
              Windows Live Mail (I have many legacy hotmail accounts that allow client access, no other app merges them all quite as easily)
              Chromium Browser (Chrome plus mouse gestures minus google tracking basically)
              VLan for codecs
              Mediamonkey (registered) for audio management
              Gimp for photo editing
              Steam for casual games
              Teamviewer

I don't do much on a computer at home other than browse the net and play games, so reformats are relatively easy affairs for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                - Logitech Setpoint for my mouse and keyboard settings (yes I have a Logi mouse AND keyboard)
                Why? I have Logitech mouse and keyboard, but never saw the point of using Setpoint.
                Last edited by CingularDuality; 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  Why? I have Logitech mouse and keyboard, but never saw the point of useing Setpoint.
                  I set several of my mouse buttons in various games as keystrokes (as some games don't recognize the extra mouse buttons). Several of the multimedia keys on my keyboard launch different apps, so it's quick and simple when I'm working and need to open some frequently used app (saves on mouse clicks). I know some people hate Setpoint, but I've grown to like it and never had any major problems to deter my use of it.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ok... Adobe Master collection cs5 - specifically premiere, dreamweaver, contribute, photoshop, acrobat, soundbooth bridge, on location, flex, and to a lesser degree - illustrator
                    AVS4You - video converter, audio converter, audio extractor
                    vlc player
                    Firefox
                    cccp
                    avira
                    utorrent
                    dropbox
                    windows media encoder
                    audacity
                    audiograbber
                    dvdshrink
                    dvd43
                    Microsoft office
                    magicdisc
                    juicer
                    nero
                    partition wizard home
                    macrium reflect
                    vmware 7
                    mediamonkey
                    songbird portable
                    7zip portable
                    ccleaner
                    atmosphere

and mediashout 3.5 and 4 at work.....

my FAVORITE favorites are:

photoshop
                    premiere
                    dreamweaver
                    firefox
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

so with sandboxie you technically dont need an antivirus?

Comment

and can anyone sneak me a Registered key for it cause i saw on the help files that it will automatically start firefox in the sand box with out you telling it. i need that. lol

Comment

pbsetup !

Comment

Originally posted by Covenant2142 View Post
                            and can anyone sneak me a Registered key for it cause i saw on the help files that it will automatically start firefox in the sand box with out you telling it. i need that. lol
                            Please don't ask others on here to supply you with their keys. It is against the forum rules.

If you can't afford Sandboxie, there are other free alternatives out there. For example: VirtualBox. VirtualBox also allows you to run your own VM on your PC (provided you have a CPU that supports virtualization).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For about 15 years now I've been using Epsilon. an Emacs clone:

http://lugaru.com/

I probably spend at least half my day working in it. I only use an "integrated development environment" (IDE) like Visual Studio for compiling and debugging and the most minor of editing. All my bulk code composition happens in Epsilon. When I need a "DOS prompt" (actually a console window) I usually enter the commands from the captive shell inside Epsilon. I also use it on my Linux server via a PuTTY window, and I think PuTTY comes close to being my second-most-used program.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X