Wireless networking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless networking

I'm trying to help someone sort out their home networking issues, but I don't have any knowledge of wireless networking.

There are 4 PC's on the network, and only 1 seems to have connection issues. The affected PC is sitting next to a washing machine and a dryer - is this likely to be affecting the signal?

Moving the PC to another room isn't an option, and neither is moving the router (parents are such a PITA sometimes).

Pinging the router gives an average ping of 2ms, with 1 out of 4 packets lost. I can only compare this to every wired network I've ever set up, where the average ping is 0ms, with 0 loss.

If anyone could offer some suggestions I'd be most grateful, as the person I'm helping wants to come and play some PCS.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Wireless networking

under the wireless section of the control panel, do you have the router selected? if so, do you have a WEP key and is it correct? im pretty sure you can ping the router even if is not hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
      under the wireless section of the control panel, do you have the router selected? if so, do you have a WEP key and is it correct? im pretty sure you can ping the router even if is not hooked up.
      I'm not in the same country as the PC I'm trying to sort. I assume the router is selected as the user is able to connect to the internet, but with speed / stability issues.

I'm not familiar with a WEP key.

Root
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

ahh, so you can connect to the internet from the computer. if it is just stabiltiy issues, then you dont have to wory about a WEP key. thats just a random string of numbers that youre router has that lets you encrypt it so other people cant get on and use youre network. if it is stability issues, how old is youre wireless card? some brands dont work well together. what brand are they? (card and router)

Comment

Dropped packets like that suggest to me that you're just not getting a reliable signal. Try using a tool like NetStumbler that gives you an accurate reading of your signal strength, then use it as a guide while you adjust your antenna position, etc. You don't have to actually move the WAP or the PC, just try rotating it, moving the antenna (if they move), etc. And, yes, the washing machine and dryer could be affecting the signal, especially if the PC is on the floor right beside them so that they block the path of the signal.
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X