No announcement yet.

Hardware: voice recorder for interview recording, transcription

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware: voice recorder for interview recording, transcription

Hi guys,

So my current recorder's refusing to play nice with Win 7. It's a Panasonic RR-US395, using a proprietary data format and requiring proprietary Panasonic software to do anything at all useful with the recorded files. (VM1 files, I believe). The software is the problem -- Win 7 won't recognize the drivers, and the product is no longer supported by Panasonic.

What I want: A high-quality voice recorder with an audio in/mic jack, removable memory support of some type, and output capability into one or more of mp3, wav, or (I suppose...) aac formats. Recording tagging capability a plus, but not required. Built-in rechargeable battery and/or AC power supply a definite plus, though.

I'm currently looking at the Olympus DM-2, but the problem is that the damned thing isn't available until July. Alternatives, as well as suggestions on what I should look out for that will make my transcription process easier are most welcome.

Price is a concern, but a very small one. If the device cuts my transcripton time by a third, I'll drop a grand on it without hesitation.

(for reference's sake, I'm currently spending about 3 minutes of transcription time for every 1 minute of recording)
    Last edited by Cheburash; 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed