Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Software Suggestions: Wiki (or alternative?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Software Suggestions: Wiki (or alternative?)

Sorry for the alliteration :)

I do a lot of interviews and have tonnes of contacts I need to keep track of. The best solution I've come up with so far is a wiki. But *which* wiki? this is what I've tentatively "narrowed down" the list to, but I'm by no means married to the idea.

What I need:
    -Read and write access control to the entire wiki, and individual pages (I tried MediaWiki, and couldn't find any way to password-lock the entire thing)
    -Simple syntax. Something like markdown or CREOLE, though those appear to be almost universal nowadays, anyway
    -Date stamp capability. Essentially, I want to be able to put a date stamp on a page, and have that page linked to the page for the particular date. The page for the date should list all pages linking to it in this fashion. If I can have that as a plug-in rather than core functionality, that's fine too. I just really don't want to script it myself :)

If you can recommend something that isn't a wiki but would do the job just as well, please do so. I'm leaning toward web-based solutions so that I don't have to worry about portability quite as much. Secure remote access is a big consideration, but collaboration support is of no importance to me. <Sam Spade voice>I work alone.</Sam Spade voice>

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: Seeking Software Suggestions: Wiki (or alternative?)

Before describing the solution you want, what problem are you trying to solve?

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
    I do a lot of interviews and have tonnes of contacts I need to keep track of.
    The above statement is the only one that gave any information. Are you looking for a CRM type system? Basically, do you want to manage contacts and your history with them?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
      Before describing the solution you want, what problem are you trying to solve?

The above statement is the only one that gave any information. Are you looking for a CRM type system? Basically, do you want to manage contacts and your history with them?
      Fair enough :) Essentially, yes, I'm looking for a CRM app. However, I've tried that course directly, and have not found anything that suited my needs.

What I need is:
      A system that will let me record basic contact information (name, position, phone number, email, etc.), dates of contact as well as subjects discussed (essentially, link to or incorporate a transcript of the interview and/or the recording of the interview itself).

I want to be able to search and filter by names, key words, company names, dates, project names (a company may have multiple projects).

That's pretty much it.

--BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      --Blackraven93

Comment

Are you planning to host this yourself or do you want something more along the lines of SaaS?

Here are two good open source CRM packages that probably offer you more than you need, but they are strong CRM tools

CiviCRM
        SugarCRM
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you!

Haven't heard of Civi before, and I'm not sure how I ended up passing on Sugar, which I certainly knew about. Both look really promising; I'll start playing with them right now.

A short detour into the commercial space of Sugar freaked me out, though. "Please enter a valid email from a non-free provider." Can you say "way out of the target market"? (the company annual revenue question didn't help -- the lowest option was "under 100M")

If for whatever reason neither of these works out, I'm able to host the app myself or work with SaaS; no particular restrictions on that end.

--BlackMirror
          --Blackraven93

Comment

Yeah, SugarCRM offers a SaaS option but you should be able to download the open source version from that link above.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...