Troubleshooting ideas please.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting ideas please.....

I've been going a little nuts. No, not in the Sandbox, with my PC! I'm getting various different BSOD crashes only during games. I'd really appreciate some advise on things I may have overlooked. I've just installed the following new hardware:

MSI K7N2 Delta Platinum (Nforce 2 ultra400 fsb)
    Athlon xp 3200
    Maxtor 250g 7200rpm 16mb cache
    xfx Nvidia 6600gt 128 agp
    Thermaltake purepower 420w (18a on 12v single rail)
    1g Kingston pc3200 ddr400 (2x512)
    Soundblaster Audigy (I've had this one for awhile)
    winxp sp2
    Generic DVD

I've tried a couple different versions of the nforce drivers including the 5.10 and the 7.13 released today.

I've also tried Nvidia forceware drivers 71.89 and 77.30. Switching out the video card for an Nvidia 5800 using both of these drivers hasn't helped either.

I've done some testing with Memtest and Stabilitytest with no errors after running for several hours. I've used www.rojakpot.com to tweak the Bios back and forth.

I've run out of ideas! Any suggestions?
    New to TG?

Re: Troubleshooting ideas please.....

What's running in the background? AV? Firewall? Anything unusual?
    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I had the Antivir disabled. Haven't installed a firewall yet.
      New to TG?

Comment

Usually when I see this problem it's either the video card or the ram. But it looks like you've checked both. What OS are you running, and what games have been crashing? (newer ones mostly, older ones, a mix of both?)

Might be an issue with DX, or with your OS and your new hardware. Latest drivers/bios and all that installed?

EDIT: upon re-reading your post, I've noticed that you only have a 420W PSU on that machine. Not being an expert on thermaltake (Antec ftw!), I don't know how the rails work out on it, but it might be that you're not getting enough power out of that PSU when you're under full load (IE: gaming)

An easy way to check is to download a program to read the power rails with a game running in the background to see if they're fluxuating. They shouldn't change, and they should be within a tenth of a volt of the listed voltage. the 3.3 should be between 3.2 and 3.4V, for example. If you're underpowered, the voltages will change when you get under high load to compensate as your PC tries to draw more amperage down the lines than the PSU can provide.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I was having problems like this with my new system. I increased the voltage to the memory just a little bit, and that took care of my problem. Worth trying, at least. I did +.2, but you can do +.1 if you're worried about warranty.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

since it only happens in games, i'd look right to the video card, and agp slot. There may be an option in your bios to set agp timing. Since you've changed out the vid card i'd say it's more likely to be an agp thing. Also make sure your Northbridge isn't overheating or the vid card GPU (on either one). best way to tell is give it the touch test while your running the 3-d program. Becareful doing this obviously. If you feel the back of the GPU getting to hot to touch, you have a problem with the vid card. If not it's probably fine.

You can also set it to agp 2x or 4x and test it that way. If the lower setting fixes your problem, then you know it's most likely a bad agp or setting in the agp slot.

Here is a good article on agp timing and how to change it.

http://arstechnica.com/ask-ars/2000/ask-08212000.html

I've had a FX card that would not run in 4x mode because the GPU would overheat, which it's not supposed to do. It was a bad vid card manufacture.

- -

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll try some of these ideas and see how it goes.
              New to TG?

Comment

I've got this thing working now. Increasing the mem voltage caused a quicker crash, and lowering below 2.7 didn't help at all. I was able to lower the fsb from 200mhz to 100 and then incrementally up to 166 where it is stable now. Seems strange that a 400mhz FSB won't work with a AMD xp 3200 400 mhz chip. :( But BF2 is stable and really, that's all that matters, lol.

I haven't messed with the agp timings, but I probably will try it and see how it affects performance. Maybe I can raise the fsb back up without too much of a hit on 4x agp instead of 8x.

I was really burned out trying other things, so thanks again for the ideas all.
                New to TG?

Comment

What about airflow? How hot is the system getting?

Comment

actually that sounds like your ram could be a problem, you have two chips correct? How are the memory units setup on them? Typically ram should have corresponding blocks on both sides of the chip. Kingston has ram that alternates tho and this ram can be incompatible with other different chips of ram , cpu or motherboards.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                      What about airflow? How hot is the system getting?
                      Pretty good I think. MBM5 says the case is 31 and the cpu is 40 during normal use, and up to around 37 and 49 when gaming for a period.

Originally posted by Vulcan
                      actually that sounds like your ram could be a problem, you have two chips correct? How are the memory units setup on them? Typically ram should have corresponding blocks on both sides of the chip. Kingston has ram that alternates tho and this ram can be incompatible with other different chips of ram , cpu or motherboards.
                      Yes, I have two 512 kingston pc3200 400 sticks. I'm pretty sure they're not dual channel which my mobo supports. I'll check the MSI compatability list.
                      New to TG?

Comment

I checked the MSI site and my ram was listed as compatible. I went ahead and swapped it out for Corsair XMS twinx 1 gig (2x512) thinking that maybe the quality of Kingston Value ram wasn't enough to run my system at it's published high end (w/o oc'ing). The problem still persisits. So, I have two questions for those that are either smarter than me or have wasted more time and money than I have and are therefore smarter than me:

Is there a program that I can use to log line voltages that will survive a crash? I've used Mother Board Monitor 5 but I don't understand how to read the logs.

Is it possible that the cpu has been damaged to the point that it would run at 166 fsb but not 200? My understanding was that a cpu was either working or broke, period.
                        New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X