No announcement yet.

Phenom II X4 925 2.8Ghz - Best CPU HS/F?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenom II X4 925 2.8Ghz - Best CPU HS/F?

Good afternoon all. I've been watching my system temps and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback or suggestions.

I'm using an Antec Solo case. Right now I'm running an 80mm intake fan front bottom and a 120mm exhaust fan back top. About all I can add system fans is another 80mm intake up front if it would help.

Understanding it's the hot and humid summer temperatures here in the midwest, using the stock HS/F the CPU is running ~103F idle. Played probably 5 rounds of BC2 to get a good idea of load temperature and that was ~135F.

Are those temperatures normal or should I be looking to cool things down a bit? If I need to move away from the stock HS/F, any suggestions/advice on a good mid-range HS/F? I don't really want or need anything high end because I'm not planning on overclocking. Just want to keep my new system in as good of shape as possible.

Re: Phenom II X4 925 2.8Ghz - Best CPU HS/F?

Seems unsusually high. What's you local ambient and humidity?

Check the heat sink for dust clogging (clean it and the case with canned air outside), then replace the paste with MX-3 or similar, cleaning the cpu and heatsink of paste beforehand.

Take the rear 120mm and bump it up to mid or high speed for the summer.
    Also check your bios, and adjust or disable the automatic fan control.

What brand and model of card do you use?

Ambient in the house is 79-80F. Humidity here in the house is really high, has always been a problem. Probably averages 55-60%. 120mm is already running at high. I'm running a Powercolor HD 4850.

Good idea on the BIOS fan control, I'll check that in a moment and make sure it's disabled. Would it be worth looking into something more then the stock HS/F?

I'm not sure what the normal temps should be for a phenom but if that was an intel I would say the temps are fine. 40C idle - 57C load is about what my i5 is doing right now in the summer

Must be the powercooler with the spiral Heatsink, not the external-exaust model. Hence the temps.

I think the prob is there is too much heat being made by the videocard, raising the internal ambient above an useful level. Coupled with really high humidity, its all snowballing from there.

Antec tricool pushes a decent amount of air, so replacing it wont do much. I would take the side panel and leave it off as the first option.

Other aspects:

- Get a HDT-type (Heatpipe Direct Touch 3 or more pipes) cooler like this one:

Check height limits before locking in, but it should fit.
          - Get a dehumidifier for that room

Only worth getting a different HS if the current is overwhelmed. It shouldn't at stock speeds. Look into the speed controls, cleanliness, and thermal paste first before replacing it. Having a tri-cool on high means noise isnt really the concern at this point, which is what a better cooler will primarily address.

Bios fan control is off, so that's not an issue. Cleanliness shouldn't be an issue. We have all wood floors so dust builds up quicker so I typically blow the entire thing out (including all fans, fan filters, HS/F, etc.) at least once a week.

This is the video card, and the cooling on it is exactly what is shown in the 3rd photo.

Also, what do you guys normally use to monitor temperatures? I loaded SpeedFan 4.40 and have been using it to get the temps I'm providing.

I guess about the only thing left to try is maybe re-paste it.

I just use the BIOS to make sure its in line with spec, never had good reasons to monitor temps that close on my rigs.

Furmark to test videocard temps.

At the end of the day, if your not crashing or freezing, there simply isn't anything to be concerned about. Especially considering how hot your area is. Treat symptomatically.

Those temps seem fine to me. 103 F to 135 F = 40 C to 58 C. That's a lot cooler than my C2Q Q9550 (40 C idle / 64 C load @ Stock | 46 C idle / 74 C load @ 3.4 GHz OC) and I have a aftermarket cooler, not a stock cooler.

As long as your load time doesn't hit 71 C (max operating temp for PhII X4s) on load, you should be fine.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed