No announcement yet.

Linux software infected

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux software infected

The sky is falling! Everyone running Linux run screaming!

No, not really. It's just that an IRC server has a trojan if you downloaded the source tarball for a particular version from a mirror server.

If you run UnrealIRC and you happen to have, look at this advisement to see if you have the infected version:

I haven't looked at the installation notes for this one, but anyone following best practices in Linux will run a service like an IRC server under its own user ID, and thus contain any badness it might have to that user's files. The rest of the system should be locked down against regular users messing with system resources.

Most recent Linux security holes require a local user to take advantage of, so make sure your system is always up to date to seal those holes and protect yourself from rogue services.

For you tactical gamers, this is called "defense in depth". ;)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Linux software infected

Semi on topic, I love the new ubuntu, the boot time is really slick, especially for the live CD.

I use Mint linux on a laptop for my GF to play streaming winamp in the kitchen off of.

im running openSUSE 11.2 right now since my main rig blew up and i have my parents running Karmic right now havent had issues in over 6 months

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

I'm still running 9.10 Ubuntu on my netbook. Still lazy to upgrade to the latest build.

That's kinda funny Scratch, a tarball release for IRC including a trojan for a free. ;)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed