Cloud and Back Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud and Back Up

I'm new to online back up/clouds. Maybe some smart TG people can show me the light. I use xmarks and lastpass to sync my bookmarks and passwords across multiple PCs. I want to be able to do that with files. When I make a change to a file on any PC or mobile device I want it synced with all the other PCs and devices via cloud. I also want this service to be used as a back up and support multiple versions of the same file without an expiration.

Many people here like Mozy for back ups, but they charge per PC and there is a 30 day expiration on versions of files from what I've read. So it won't work for me. Sugarsync or dropbox seam like they might work, does anyone have any experience with them or any similar service?

Re: Cloud and Back Up

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
    I'm new to online back up/clouds. Maybe some smart TG people can show me the light. I use xmarks and lastpass to sync my bookmarks and passwords across multiple PCs. I want to be able to do that with files. When I make a change to a file on any PC or mobile device I want it synced with all the other PCs and devices via cloud. I also want this service to be used as a back up and support multiple versions of the same file without an expiration.

Many people here like Mozy for back ups, but they charge per PC and there is a 30 day expiration on versions of files from what I've read. So it won't work for me. Sugarsync or dropbox seam like they might work, does anyone have any experience with them or any similar service?
    Sugarsync works very well for this. There's even an iPhone app (if you're in the iPhone club) that allows you to pull files down, forward, edit, etc.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I've been using dropbox for almost 2 years now. Works like a charm.

Comment

Crash Plan isn't a per-computer fee, and seems to work pretty well for backups. I don't use it (finishing out my Carbonite subscription, and I sincerely do not recommend that one), but my wife and work do, and seem to have no issues and nothing but good feedback. It will even back up temporary and network drives, as long as they're plugged into the system.

Heard good stuff about Dropbox for file sync.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

I played around with Dropbox and Sugarsync. Both wanted me to download and install a file manager to set up folders to sync, and also they had a web interface to manege everything. I have been using windows live foldershare, it syncs folders between computers with no back up, versioning, online access or any other capabilities. If something was deleted it was gone. Deleting files anywhere using Dropbox or sugarsync sent them to an online recycling bin.

Dropbox is a simple folder sync with online backup and versioning. It can only sync one folder on each computer. It can download and uploud files via the web interface as well. One annoying thing is that you had to use their folder. You could place it wherever you want but it had to be called My Dropbox. However it was very easy to use. I'm going to set this up on my girlfriends PCs.

Sugarsync can do all that dropbox can do and much more. It can sync multiple folders and you can name them whatever you like. Using the web interface it can upload/downlaod files. It can send files via email, there is an area to import contacts. It can also receive files via email attachment. It could stream mp3s albums via the web interface. It could edit word documents with a java download manager that lets you download and edit word documents and it would automatically uploaded them. It could share folders with editing capabilities with collaborators. There is also an archive section, that just functions as an online drive with no syncing. I only tried the sugarsync iPhone app. It could send and view files, photos and stream mp3's, there is also a very nice mobile page if you don't have a smart phone. I was very impressed by sugarsync. However there was one flaw. I wasn't able to upload via the web interface. It's set to work that way but it was broken. I tried firefox and IE. If anyone knows of something better then sugarsync I'd like to hear about it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X