Flatbed scanners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatbed scanners

I've been having to scan a bunch of stuff lately for legal purposes, from my mother's ID to her will and my sister's 12x12 scrapbook pages. I take the stuff to the office to scan. Given that I'm doing this so much, I'd like to get one for home. What's available?

A brief search for anything that could handle a 12x12 page in one shot puts those out of my price range. So for scrapbooking, I'll need to use image-stitching software. A friend suggested I try Hugin:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

For the flatbed, I'd love to have it connect by Ethernet instead of USB, to make it easier to locate in the office. (That way I can put it over by the printer, far from the computers, or next to any computer that might be using it frequently.) But I've not yet seen any cheap scanners set up that way.

BTW, I searched for "scanner" and have tagged all the relevant-looking threads going back a couple years, so click the tag below to see what's been reported in the past.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Flatbed scanners

A quick google suggests that networking makes the price pretty high, about $900 (list) for an HP N6350:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-3884438.html

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Newegg's flatbed scanner category:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...atbed-Scanners

Comment

It is blowing my mind you posted about scanners this morning as I just pulled mine out of the closet when I woke up so I could finish a mega scanning project I started over a year ago.
        The thread I started (Anybody have a Cannon scanner?) helped me decide to get the Canon CanoScan 5600F, and I was really happy with it. But I haven't used it in a while so I can't say for certain, but I could swear it had some stitching options in the software. I have to download the driver and software again since the HD crashed, so I will try and give it a look for you later today.

As far as networking, I was also thinking about doing this till I remembered that scanning goes pretty quick, and since I'm scanning thousands of pics, it would be a pain to get up and walk across the room every min for each scan. But until I realised that I was planning to run the scanner using USB cable, but running through my ASUS router. It has a USB port for that. You might be able to find a router like that for really cheap instead of buying a scanner with networking built in. I know slickdeals has been posting some crazy deals on routers like mine lately. Check this one out:
        ASUS RT-N13U 802.11n Wireless Router w/Print Server for $20 after rebate + free shipping

That is the router I have and paid $70 for last Sept. It's not the greatest end all be all router, but so far I haven't had problems with it and hasn't required rebooting.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention this one was on slickdeals as well:
          Asus RT-N16 Gigabit Wireless Router w/ USB Storage & Printer & Media Server [Compatible w/ DD-WRT & Tomato] $77 Shipped

Looks to be a much better router but of course is a lot more expensive.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I don't think the router would help with a scanner. Those are designed either for printers or hard drives, which are fairly standardized in their USB protocols.. Check out Linux support for scanners to see how non-standard their drivers tend to be. Or try to mix, say, Canon software with an Epson scanner.

I was hoping for a ledger size bed (for those 12x12 scans) but it looks like that's gonna be pretty expensive still. I have an Epson Perfection 4180 I took to the office to use and I recall getting a pretty good deal on it back when I bought it. I see a review on Amazon of this unit where the guy had better results with a Canon, so I'm quite willing to switch brands.

Comment

I've been using a Brother MFC for years. Yeah, it's a laser printer (duplex too!)/fax machine/scanner, but it was the cheapest solution for me to be able to scan legal size papers. Plus the feeder tray is nice too. It's been rock solid, and has totally replaced my old flat stand alone scanner. Maybe a Multi-Function machine would be the best option for you as well.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I've got an old HP ScanJet 5p that you can have if you have a SCSI card to plug it in to... Just pay the shipping. It's just the standard 8.5x14 size, though...

I know it was top of the line consumer-grade when I bought it, but I don't even know what its specs are... No clue whether or not it would be worth the cost of shipping...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I know what you mean, the shipping is likely to be prohibitive. But the ledger bed does command a premium, so it's probably worth putting on craigslist.

Edit: Doh, I keep saying "ledger" when I mean "legal" (8.5x14). As I want to scan 12x12 pages, a legal-size bed would let me image in two passes instead of four.
                  Last edited by ScratchMonkey; 06-20-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Looking through the MFC systems on Newegg I'm finding it difficult to tell what the scanner bed size is. The specs all show the printer page sizes, not the copier size.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X