iPhone OS 4.0?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone OS 4.0?

I am not a guru on my iPhone so I will ask the dumb question...

What is so special about OS4?

Like a fool I synced my iPhone yesterday and got this huge OS update for my phone. I figured it was a minor tweak or two, but it seems like a large amount for a patch. It literally broke half my Apps as well as torqued all my settings. I have been playing with it for a day or two now and can't really see anything worthy of all the mess it created.

Am I missing something?:row__637:
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: iPhone OS 4.0?

It really isn't anything special until we get the iPhone 4. Apparently, a lot of the features are locked on the 3GS and prior versions of the iPhone for 4.0.

Comment

It has lots of cool tweaks. If you have a 3GS you'll be able to see most of them. If you have a 3G a lot of them aren't available.
      • Multi-tasking. Double tap the home button to bring up the quick-app-switch bar. Some apps, such as Pandora, Skype and GPS apps can continue to run in the background. Others can save their state and load very quickly.
      • Folders. You can now create folders by dragging to app icons on top of each other. I really like this because I can save pages of space by putting all my games in folders.
      • Local notification. Apps can now create local notifications. Just like push notifications, but no internet connection required. This will become very useful as more apps adopt local notifications.
      • Orientation lock. Double-tap the home button to bring up the app-bar. Swipe the bar to the right and you'll see an orientation lock and iPod controls. I've been hoping for an orientation lock forever. No more having safari change orientation when I'm trying to read in bed.
      • Universal InBox. If you have multiple email accounts there is now one universal inbox that you can use to the mail from all your accounts at once.
      • Threading. The mail app now supports conversation threading. It works with mail providers such a gmail for conversation threading.
      • Background and lock screen images. You can now change the background and lock screen images.
      • Improved iphone search. When you use the iPhone search -- that screen to the left of your first home screen -- it now gives the options to search the web and wikipedia as well.
      • iBooks PDF support.
      • 5x digital zoom. The camera app now has a zoom option.
      • Wireless keyboard support. Yay! Finally.
      • Tap to focus video. When recording video, tap on the area of the screen you want to be in focus.
      • iPhoto support. You can now sync photos with iPhoto or Aperature.
      • Geotagging "places" support. The photos app now has a "Places" tab. Tap on it and you can see a map of where all your photos were taken.

There are lots of other more subtle tweaks to the OS. Overall a very welcome update.

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
      I am not a guru on my iPhone so I will ask the dumb question...

What is so special about OS4?

Like a fool I synced my iPhone yesterday and got this huge OS update for my phone. I figured it was a minor tweak or two, but it seems like a large amount for a patch. It literally broke half my Apps as well as torqued all my settings. I have been playing with it for a day or two now and can't really see anything worthy of all the mess it created.

Am I missing something?:row__637:
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Exadus View Post
        It really isn't anything special until we get the iPhone 4. Apparently, a lot of the features are locked on the 3GS and prior versions of the iPhone for 4.0.
        Almost all the new features work with 3GS, but not the 3G.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah BigC, you didn't mention what version of the phone you had. Those of us with the 3g didn't get much, and it will probably slow our phones down even more, so I'm waiting to install for now. Plus, you may have heard Apple did some major changes in the privacy agreement you have to agree to.

You should read these, especially the 2nd one:

iPhone 3G Owners, You Might Want to Hold Off on iOS4

Apple Now Storing and Sharing Your Location With Others

The fact that apple is doing this really pisses me off. After their claim to be against "the man" and stuff, they have officially become "the man".

I'm on the fence right now about upgrading to a new Iphone. I get horrible reception so a few hours ago I ran to the ATT store and finally got one of the MicroCells for my house. It just kicked in about an hour ago so not sure how well it works yet. It cost $161 dollars with tax, but I called ATT numerous times over the last few months and finally called yesterday and told them I was quitting unless they gave me one of the Microcells for free. Was on the phone about 30 mins having to stand by the window, but they finally agreed. I just have to wait more than 30 days to show I plan to keep it and they will give me a credit on my bill.

And the crazy thing is the guy pulled it up on his computer that my area is getting 3g in Oct. Blew my mind that he told me that because I have called numerous times to both stores and their phone support line and they said they couldn't give out that info, and they didn't know themselves, etc. But when I told the guy that yesterday, he kind of played it off. I don't think he was supposed to tell me. But I told him about rebooting my phone yesterday morning and as soon as it came back on it beeped that I had a new voicemail and text message. Turns out they were from Fri and Sat, and I just got them yesterday.

Edit: OH CRAP, check out this updating article. I might not be getting an Iphone 4 if they can't fix this:
          iPhone 4 Loses Reception When You Hold It By The Antenna Band?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

This is like the 5th article on the subject I've read, but this one has video. Apple went on and on about how amazing and strong the new Iphone's glass was, but lots of people already ending up with shattered screens:

This Is What'll Happen When You Drop Your iPhone 4

This was posted this morning:
            iPhone 4 teardown: 512MB RAM confirmed (updated)

and gave us this bit of bad news:
            The LCD panel is not, however, as it's tighly glued to the glass and digitizer. So if you do manage to break the Gorilla Glass, you'll have to replace it, the digitizer, and the LCD as a single unit.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm with you Bamboo, I have some Apple fatigue as well.

Comment

I still have the 2G iPhone. Isn't really worth for me to update.

Comment

I still have a "dumb" Motorola i335 ruggedized handset for my phonage needs. It doesn't even work on GSM or CDMA (works on moto's iDEN network from Nextel). I've dropped it several times and nothing real bad has happened except for some slight scratches on the screen (the lightness of the phone and the rubber/plastic construction help for that) and i haven't had to put up with more than about 50 dollars/month for voice, unlimited texts, and mobile internet.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                  <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                  DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I have the 3GS. One thing I did notice is that if I reboot, it takes longer now. The only thing I rally see as radical is the Universal Inbox, which I actually find annoying as hell. But that is just me...
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I got the iPhone 4 this morning. I had a 3G and had iOS4.0. HATED the iOS 4 on the 3G, slowed stuff down and again like C, not a fan of the linked inboxes.

BUT now on the 4 when it runs fast as hell, it is really good. It is I imagine really meant for the 4 but the 3Gs is good enough to run it. You CAN downgrade back to the old version I think,.....................

Comment

Gizmodo is going all out with the iphone 4 news. Here are a couple I thought were important, but there are a ton more at the site.

Test Notes: iPhone 4 Screen

Test Notes: iPhone 4 App Speed - wow, the new Iphone does look pretty quick. got to be a whole lot faster than my 3g

Your iPhone 4 Warranty and Insurance Options - I didn't get a warranty with my 3g, but was considering it if I got a new one. Some of those prices though are crazy stupid

And from engadget, here is all the new stuff to try on your phone:
                        Okay, you've got an iPhone 4 -- now what?
                        Last edited by Bamboo; 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Looks like Lifehacker has come through for you BigC
                          How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3G[S] from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Installed it on my itouch 2g, apart from the universal inbox thingy i really didn't notice alot. But the upgrade worked fine.

Comment

News like this has me worried:

I Accidentally Broke My iPhone 4 On Day One

And this video is watching just to scare you about how hard it is to replace the front screen:
                              How to Replace Your Broken iPhone 4 Screen
                              That is a TON of work, and putting it back together would be even harder.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X