laptop manufactures...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop manufactures...

Guys, it has been a while since I was in the market for a laptop, but I need help with finding some of the major brands.

I am not sure who is still trustworthy anymore. I remember Alienware and Asus as being good companies, but I am not sure who else is still trustworthy.

Can anyone help?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: laptop manufactures...

Read reviews on specific models.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Start looking at potentials in your price range and then look up reviews on them. Practically all the laptops out there are manufactured by only a few factories in Asia. Ever other brand name just buys and rebrands same or similar models/configurations.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i have 1 year old sony vaio CS and i game with it. never had any issues besides having to change the cpu cooler once cuz i was playing with it too much in warm weather. i think its a great laptop. its only problem is that it has windows vista installed lol

Comment

All I want is some suggestions on what brands are out there...

Stuff like what Namebot said does not help...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

My favorite laptops these days are by MSI and Asus. They both seem to make pretty solid computers, and have very high end specs for good prices.
            Here's an unbelievable laptop for the price:
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
              Stuff like what Namebot said does not help...
              Unfortunately it is accurate, one manufacturer might have one or two crappy models or possibly even a range of crap and one really great find. No reason to have a reliable but barely performing laptop either.

Alienware is overpriced.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

* Acer - TravelMate, Extensa, Ferrari, Aspire
                * Apple - MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
                * ASUS - Asus Eee, Lamborghini
                * Compaq - Evo, Armada, LTE, Presario
                * Dell - Inspiron, Latitude, Precision, Studio, Vostro, XPS, Studio XPS
                * Fujitsu - LifeBook, Stylistic
                * Gateway
                * Hewlett-Packard - HP Pavilion, HP Omnibook, HP Compaq Notebooks
                * Lenovo - ThinkPad, IdeaPad, 3000 series
                * Panasonic - Toughbook, Satellite, Let's Note (available in Japan only) [1]
                * Sony - VAIO
                * Toshiba - Dynabook, Portege, Tecra, Satellite, Qosmio, Libretto

I found them like this,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=major+laptop+brands

This link is a bit further down the page, it might be just what you are looking for: http://smidgenpc.com/2010/04/23/the-...ensive-review/ it is a somewhat recent comparison of most major brands. To me it looks like a pretty heavily biased piece representing a single persons view. But, that is just my opinion on another persons opinion SO, whatever.

Without more specific information on what you are looking for I can't help you any further without making major assumptions. None of the brands laptop lines are comprised of complete trash and none of them are all stars. Some are over priced and some lack customer service and unique features which are hard to quantify a value for. As I said before I suggest you:

1)determine your budget and needs(we went over this in your other thread)
                2)browse major etailers and brands looking for something that matches you needs and budget(I don't know these so I can't do this part for you)
                3)read reviews on those specific models and see if there are any major or repeated problems with them
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

What are you looking to do with the laptop and what's your price range BeSiege?

There's so much out there that it's just impossible to list everything without knowing any specifics of what you want.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/l...-win-hp-fails/

Honestly, there isn't that big of a gap in quality anymore, just make sure you steer clear of HP. Numerous friends have had a plethora of problems with them and that chart reports quite accurately on HP as well.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      What are you looking to do with the laptop and what's your price range BeSiege?

There's so much out there that it's just impossible to list everything without knowing any specifics of what you want.
                      I am hoping to have about 1500 by the end of the summer.

From the video, I have come to like that Asus G73...

The parts and the price has made me fall in love with it... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...&skuId=9743709

Your thoughts on it?

Originally posted by Pistolfied View Post

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/l...-win-hp-fails/

Honestly, there isn't that big of a gap in quality anymore, just make sure you steer clear of HP. Numerous friends have had a plethora of problems with them and that chart reports quite accurately on HP as well.
                      Ha, ya, well my first laptop was an HP and the screen's inverter died and then the power system started going crazy, and then finally, a friend bumped a can of soda on it.

P.S. Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry for responding the way I did to you earlier, Namebot.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                        I am hoping to have about 1500 by the end of the summer.

From the video, I have come to like that Asus G73...

The parts and the price has made me fall in love with it... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...&skuId=9743709

Your thoughts on it?
                        The ASUS G37JH is certainly nice and comes with a CULV i7. You could save some money by getting it from Amazon. That way you don't have to pay tax.

There's also a slightly cheaper one, the ASUS G51JX: http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamer...7571345&sr=8-1

Also, you could look at MSI's line of gaming laptops. They have one available for around $1200 starting and are also quite nice.

In the end, though, these gaming laptops are desktop replacements. Meaning, they are heavy 7.5 pounds and up and aren't meant to be toted around on a daily commute. Battery life is going to be around the 2 hour mark.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you work a lot on your laptop, buy a Thinkpad from Lenovo. They use special materials (for you hand/fingers to use), have lots of extras (you'll like the fingerprint reader for logins), are linux compatible (Lenovo has Thinkpad stuff in the main kernel), allow for extended batteries (can get 7hours battery time with them).

Lenovo however has the same core hardware problems as everybody else, that includes: Bad screens on some models (because they wanted to gain some hours of battery life), high pitching sound motherboards (some intel design malfunction which is present in several laptops), breaking down of the fan (its rotating a lot while the laptop is moved). However they have world wide support, and you can get it repaired in any western country.

My next laptop will be a Lenovo again, but I'll read up on review sites first, asking for long battery live (integrated graphics) and linux compatibility (especially with those graphics). Lenovo wasn't cheap when I bought it, but since then they got considerably cheaper, my guess is though that ASUS is better in performance/price while Lenovo has better features/price.

Gaming wise, I'd just buy dedicated gaming PC components (have casing) for the current price of a console.

Comment

I have found my portege m400 to be my favorite laptop ever... and I have owned 50 or more. It is the only one I have ever owned for more than a year, and I have no plans of ditching it right now.

powerful = c2d 2.1 / 4gig ddr2 / sataII drive (I am looking to drop in a 1TB in August)
                            versatile = convertible tablet
                            portable = 12.1" screen / 5 hr battery life / 4 lbs
                            feature packed = DVDRW / biometrics / 802.11g / bt / 1400x1050 hi-res screen / FW

the only downsides are that it has an intel 950 video card, no webcam, and no hdmi / esata - but other than outputting to my hdtv for movies, I do not miss the hdmi. the esata is meh except for my drobo. I rarely used the camera on my last few laptops.

got it off ebay a year ago for 350. there is no other setup I have found with a small, hi res screen and all the power and versatility that you can get from the portege. I also own 3 m200's and love them too.

Now, it is not a gaming machine, but it runs photoshop and premiere well enough for on the road work.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

A big thing to keep in mind: Regardless of what route you take to purchase the laptop, see if you can find a store that actually has a display model on hand for you to test the feel.

I bought my work laptop 2 years ago and knew exactly what specifications and price range I was looking at, but the biggest stopping point I ran into was that some models were atrociously uncomfortable compared to others. And if you're going to be using the thing for any length of time, comfort and ergonomics are a significantly more important condition for laptops than desktops. I lucked out that Circuit City (no, didn't buy it through them, I learned in the past that their warranty is a load of crap by the time I had had to replace my 3rd Xbox 360) had a display model of the first laptop I was looking at to find out that Toshiba has some weird fascination with making their keyboards feel like there's a layer of melted plastic wrap on the keys. That and check out the vertical viewing angle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X