Help removing a processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help removing a processor

Okay, so my dad felt like upgrading my sister's Dell-made computer, the Dell Precision WorkStation 530. Anyway, he put in another processor, the same one as in the original, just there are 2 now. Anyway, we found out there arent enough ports to put the processors fan, so we figured we needed to take it out, but it doesnt seem to want to come back out. The socket was supposedly zero insertion force, so we just dropped the thin metal rods into the corresponding holes, yet the silver release bar on the side doesnt seem to, well, release it. So, we cant turn it on, because there is no fan, and we cant take it out, and my sister needs to extract information from it before tomorrow, because she is going to Spain for 2 years, and needs to have her personal data.

Help? :)

Re: Help removing a processor

For a temporary fix, just lay a CPU heatsink on top of the CPU with some thermal grease on it. Don't worry about plugging the fan portion in. If you only need it up for a bit, who cares?

As for getting it out, you've pulled the release bar up? I would make sure to grip two sides of the CPU and pull straight up. One of the pins could be bent causing more friction when thrying to remove the CPU.

Comment

Yeah... I already tried the second bit, and my dad too. He said the first solution would blow the computer up. We... don't want that.

Comment

And thats why i said screw dell and made my own computer, i had a Dem 8250 P4 2.4Ghz, but it had many problems, the only thing that was original was the motherboard/CPU, so i thought it wasnt worth upgrading the mobo/CPU in a cheap case made by Dell.

You should think about getting another computer. Not that Dell is a bad computer brand, there are worse (Emachines/Sony/Gateway/ect) But they sure arent the best.

If you cant afford/dont want a new computer just take a hammer to the one you've got, that'll take out the CPU.
        Oyee

Comment

Haha. My dad made my current computer, and made it well. He ordered the dell for my sister, because she needed the maintenance and support. Well, shes no longer gonna need it, so he figured he would mod it. But he started upgrading it before she was finished with her hard drive. I dont think we'll buy and build or just buy another, but he really wanted to get it up and running.

Comment

just the hard drive out of hers stick it in yours and move the data across that way.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
              He said the first solution would blow the computer up. We... don't want that.
              I doubt that, even for short term use. Attach the heatsink, and if you want more cooling, grab a big floor fan, turn it on high and blow it right into the PC case =P.

Hell dude, I know a guy who seats his entire mobo in a bucket of non-conductive liquid with 17 PC fans attached to it. (I kid you not). You'd swear that thing could fly.

Anyway, short term, without a fan you shouldn't have any problems, If it's an intel proc, if it overheats it'll just shut down anyway (they're good about that) if it's AMD I'd deffinantly rig a fan to it or something, but otherwise It's not a big deal.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Try WD-40 and duct tape....

but seriously DONT.
                Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                  just the hard drive out of hers stick it in yours and move the data across that way.
                  I believe he means, pull the HD out and put it in your computer. lol.

- -

Comment

So let me get this straight: the second CPU, with an HSF attached, is sitting in its socket and won't come out. The only problem is that you can't find a fan header on the motherboard for the second CPU's fan?

If I've understood correctly, then I think you should be OK. Basically, the fan just needs some power, typically 12V DC. So, just take a spare power connector off the power supply (or use a Y adapter if there's no spare) and stick an extension on it. Lop the female end off the extension, solder on some thin guage wire or (if you're adventurous) a fan header, and connect it to the CPU fan. Yellow is +12V and black is ground; check it with a meter first just to be extra sure nothing got crossed up.
                    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Right. My dad said all that. However, he didnt have one, he tried to get it out, it didnt. So we finally stuck my sisters HDD into my computer... but it turns out that this one is empty, so I need to go see if I can find another one in that case...

Comment

Dell's often put their main HD's in a weird position, At the bottom of the case or under some green plastic somewhere lol

- -

Comment

Its all settled. The hard part was that my sister had gotten alot of music from iTunes, and stored it in... folders... well, iTunes memorizes locations. So I had to go into each Artist, and then each Album, and play all the music so iTunes would get it. 20 collumns of artists, each column 15-20 artists high, some artists having 1 album with 1 song, or 15 albums each with 15 songs. That took several hours. I then had to stay up till 3:00 AM burning 30+ cd's to iTunes. Le goddamn sigh, its over.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X