Ultimate Boot CD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Boot CD

You know, you just never really realize how useful this puppy is until you use it.

I spent much of last night restoring my mother-in-law's P3 to it's original state. She's one of those, "It says click here, so I did" people.

The system wouldn't even boot properly. It would post, stall, reboot....I thought it might be something like a trojan.

Drop UBCD into the coaster holder, run F-Prot, and sure enough, 4 different trojans.

Once the system was cleaned, I could get it to boot, and run, which gave me time to salvage the rest of the system.

Of course, the system needs a serious defrag (last time it was defraged? 1199 days ago.), but it runs.

Great little tool!

Mr.Bass has the fastest download for this.

http://www.mrbass.org/ubcd/

Re: Ultimate Boot CD

UBCD rules, so does whoppix. I never got that windows boot cd to work though (that was based of the ms one...).

In my toolkit i have:

UBCD
    Knoppix
    Kanotix
    Whoppix
    Arch
    WinXp SP2 full
    WinXp SP2 nLited

Portable firefox and some other utilities on my flash drive before i lost it ... doh!

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm
      UBCD rules, so does whoppix. I never got that windows boot cd to work though (that was based of the ms one...).

In my toolkit i have:

UBCD
      Knoppix
      Kanotix
      Whoppix
      Arch
      WinXp SP2 full
      WinXp SP2 nLited

Portable firefox and some other utilities on my flash drive before i lost it ... doh!
      Yeah, I've got the first three in the kit. Couldn't get any of the linux live CDs to run on her system, since it has only 64mg ram. God, to think we actually used those things.

I'm in the process of creating a PE for my SP install. Any advantage to using nLite as opposed to Bart's PE?

Comment

can i use that boot CD to reinstall windows on a linux box....i used a laptop to put linux on for a class now i want windows back on it.....and i cant get it to install..
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          can i use that boot CD to reinstall windows on a linux box....i used a laptop to put linux on for a class now i want windows back on it.....and i cant get it to install..
          No, you can't use the boot CD for that.

Do you have the windows cds? If so, use those. Reformat, reinstall, and to get windows to boot, enter the recovery console, and type FIXMBR at the prompt.

Comment

yah i reformated twice and i cant get the FAT 32 file system to stick...i think it might just be a HD failure...
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Try using NTFS... Isnt NTFS better than FAT32 anyway?
              Oyee

Comment

Isn't hydrogen better than oxygen?

... depends on what you're trying to do.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

nice avatar, wyz! :) a little mad, constipated baby :)

anyway, hydrogen is good for fire and oxygen is good for fire, too. burn baby, burn....

Comment

Cool avitar wyz, but im guessin gaming, is NTFS better for gaming? I read it depends on the size of the hardrive.
                    Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                      yah i reformated twice and i cant get the FAT 32 file system to stick...i think it might just be a HD failure...
                      UBCD has a bunch of reformatting tools, many of them specific to the HD manufacturer. In your case, I'd try a tool called Kill Disk, that zeros out the drive. Works every time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X