help: IT student and a webpage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: IT student and a webpage

I want to preface this by making it clear that I am a student who is taking an IT course in college. I am aware that later in the course I will be tasked with building a small website.

I am curious about the web development software that is out there. I know of Dreamweaver and MS Frontpage, but that is about it.

Does anyone have some advice on what development software that is available online would be best suited for an inexperienced novice?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: help: IT student and a webpage

It depends on what you want. Are you focused on creating individual wep pages? Web site templates? Blogs? Wikipedia has a good overview of html editors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_editor

As a general rule of thumb though, stay the hell away from frontpage and dreamweaver. They are a pox on good web devopment. Most of the really good web designers I know spend a lot of time in simple text editors with html highlighting enabled.

But, if you are moving beyond simple web pages into data driven web pages, then you need to start looking at ASP.NET by Microsoft and PHP technologies by Sun. Specifically, Visual Studio for ASP development and...erm...what are PHP developers using now? Can someone help me out?
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
      As a general rule of thumb though, stay the hell away from frontpage and dreamweaver. They are a pox on good web devopment. Most of the really good web designers I know spend a lot of time in simple text editors with html highlighting enabled.

But, if you are moving beyond simple web pages into data driven web pages, then you need to start looking at ASP.NET by Microsoft and PHP technologies by Sun. Specifically, Visual Studio for ASP development and...erm...what are PHP developers using now? Can someone help me out?
      The reason why Frontpage (horrible) and Dreamweaver have become the pox of good web development is a lot of new developers (and old ones) become lazy and dependent on the autofill features of these programs. They don't put forth a "thinking cap" mentality and usually aren't even platform independent. Meaning if they had to write up a page on the fly, most of them couldn't do it. This bad. Real bad.

As for what tools are out there, I only use Notepad++ with HTML syntax highlighting enabled. If I don't remember something or need to clarify an item I turn to the web (sites like: W3Schools.com and W3C official website) and my own reference books (Javascript Unleashed, Ultimate Guide to XHTML/HTML 4.0, etc). It's the only way you'll learn the material and memorize it (and adapt to new material like that of CSS3 and HTML5).

Notepad++ is for the markup. For everything else, it's a mixture of Photoshop, Paint, and Flash Pro.

As for data driven stuff, I though pretty much all the .NET stuff encompassed the web now? (Seeing how so many languages have some representation in .NET.)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I used a program years ago called HomeSite (before Macromedia bought them, haven't tried it since).

If you want to know the code then text editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
          Are you focused on creating individual wep pages? Web site templates? Blogs?
          This is key... if you are building anything other than static web pages there is probably a framework / application (i.e. wordpress) out there to get you started.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Well, I am off to take the final on Friday, so I'll catch you later.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Guess we'll never know if they were static pages or not... Though if it's a beginners class, I would assume it would just be static pages, nothing database driven or whatnot.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It was basic of the basic. I basically just made a 2 page website on the school server, but anyhow. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have been using dreamweaver for 7-8 years and I personally love it. I know the code in and out and with dreamweaver you can get all three views as you wish. It also has some of the best configurations preferences you can find. Add to that being able to automatically sync your files to a remote server and you have absolute bliss. Professional web designers do use the entire adobe suite as it was intended across multiple applications like illustrator, photoshop, flash and dreamweaver.

good luck beseige and don't be afraid to use these programs but you do need to learn the code too!

- -

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                    It was basic of the basic. I basically just made a 2 page website on the school server, but anyhow. Thanks for the help.
                    Wanna show us what you made?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X