Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only 1 core usable/available in windows 7?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 1 core usable/available in windows 7?

I have a PK5E motherboard and a E6550 Intel cpu.

The BIOS shows 2 CPUs or cores. I have Windows 7 ultimate install but device manager, task manger and system information only show, reports 1 CPU/core.

I have "unistalling" the cpu in device manager and have looked in msconfig and there is no HAL setting.

Anybody have any ideas?
    I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Only 1 core usable/available in windows 7?

Perhaps you or a program when and disabled all but one core in your multicore CPU in Windows?

Follow this (just reverse it a bit so you enable cores instead): http://en.kioskea.net/faq/616-multic...disable-a-core
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

In msconfig there is only one processor listed and the "Detect HAL" is not there.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is no longer in Windows starting with Windows 7. This is for D3D Sound and DirectSound. That's why you don't see a HAL option in MSCONFIG anymore.

Okay, some other possibilities (thought I try the most remote first -- above):

In Task Manager:
        - View > CPU History > Select One Per CPU (instead of One Graph All CPUs)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yea, I looked at that as well.

In device manager under computer I see "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

I have read that there should be something else or something in addition to that if you a multiple cpus or mulitcore cpu.

Comment

Sounds like you got boned on your CPU..send that thing back and tell'em you want a working one..

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
              Sounds like you got boned on your CPU..send that thing back and tell'em you want a working one..
              I don't think so. I had this processor and mobo combo when I had vista installed and it reported both cores.

I did not upgrade to Windows 7, I installed it fresh on a new HD but Vista was left on the old drive. I am thinking this has something to do with it.

Comment

Have you updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard, Gringo?

As for the ACPI under "Computer" in "Device Manager", I only see: ACPI x64-based PC.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  Have you updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard, Gringo?

As for the ACPI under "Computer" in "Device Manager", I only see: ACPI x64-based PC.
                  I am going to do that later. I have put it off because the BIOS does report 2 cores. But you never know.

Comment

It was the bios. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Well at least we finally found the cause of the problem. :)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X