Computer Busted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Busted

I just got back from a week vacation and my computer will not turn on. It comes on for a second and then shuts off again. The CPU LED also lit up. I took out the CPU and repositioned it and I still have the same problem. I also tried booting up without my power hungry GPU and got it to stay on for an extra second or so before it shut off again.

I tried some of these troubleshooting tips
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...conthenoff.htm
    -No Beep Code
    -Power Supply worked before I left
    -I doubt its a short

I would guess that it's a bad PSU, but I just got this one last February. I wanted to check with you guys for other possible solutions before I go and buy another one.

Specs:
    i5-750 CPU
    650W Rosewill PSU
    Radeon HD5850 GPU
    Asus P7H57D Mobo

Re: Computer Busted

Have you tried clearing your CMOS (via jumper shorting or removing the battery and putting it back)?

Otherwise, the PSU is probably at fault. Sounds like something is perhaps tripping the OCP (overcurrent protection) on the PSU. Means PSU can't supply enough juice on one or more of the rails (5v, 3.3v, 12v) and is shutting down so a surge doesn't rip through your system and burn everything out.

The problem with generic brands like Rosewill is a lot of times their PSUs are manufactured by not-so-reliable companies who then intentionally mislabel their PSUs as being able to put out certain wattage, but a quick test or look at the label and one can quickly tell a "650W" PSU is nothing more than a "450W" or "300W" PSU.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Tried clearing the CMOS and it didn't work.

Any suggestions for a good PSU?

Comment

Antec has always been a reliable brand for myself, friends, and family. Thermaltake makes some decent PSUs as well. And while I have never personally used Corsair's PSUs, they're a fairly reputable company.

I'd agree with Acreo that you may have been cheated on your PSU's actual wattage (of course, it may just be a coincidence and you simply got bad hardware but hey). I didn't look up the recommended wattage for a box with an i5 processor and an HD5850 but I'm fairly confident that 450w just barely supplies enough juice for that setup, hence why it appeared to have been working but started these problems so soon.

Comment

My new computer was doing something similar, It would start up instantly, then shut off, but it would keep doing this over and over by itself. It ended up being the motherboard. Also, I didn't realize it, but it apparently took my video card with it.

So, my outcome was motherboard replacement, still waiting on a repaired or a replacement video card getting here.

Comment

Originally posted by soggywaffle63 View Post
            Tried clearing the CMOS and it didn't work.

Any suggestions for a good PSU?
            Before you go and buy a new PSU, do you have any spares lying around or perhaps be able to borrow a working one from a friend?

That way, we can eliminate the PSU as the problem if a spare PSU does not power up your system.

At 500W-750W, you have plenty of choices. As long as it's 80 PLUS, features a active PFC (and meets ATX 2.x specs), labeled correctly, and got some good thorough reviews, you could settle on a slew of brands and models. Of the ones out there, here are some brands I look to first: Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic (the best IMO), Thermaltake, Zippy, Zalman (check reviews first as some budget models are crap). Lastly, I'd also consider FSP/Sparkle, but again, I'd check detailed reviews first before slapping down cash.

Of those brand names, only a few act as true OEMs or produce their own units. Namely: Seasonic, Zippy, Thermaltake, PC Power & Cooling, and FSP/Sparkle. This in turn means the rest are using selling off some pretty high-end and reliable units.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Take the whole computer apart and put it back together. That usually solves that problem for me.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The scenario sound very, very familiar.

Try this: Open up the case, power on the computer, and watch the insides*. Specifically, pay attention to whether the CPU fan spins up or not. Virtually all modern motherboards have CPU overheat shutoff, and if your CPU fan died, those would be kicking in very quickly.

If that isn't it, pull out parts that the computer can function without -- anything you can unplug from the mobo will help narrow down the problem. Given that you're not even getting to the POST stage, the only things you really need plugged in are the mobo, the CPU and its fan, and one stick or RAM. Everything else (keyboard, primary hdd) will cause your machine to not boot, but is checked for at a later stage, and I'm betting an error message telling you "boot disk not found" will be a welcome sight at this juncture.

PS. Oh yeah -- anything is possible, but at this stage, I'm questioning the faulty PSU diagnosis since the machine tries to start up at all. All the dead PSUs I've seen either fried components outright or did nothing at all when the switch was flicked.

*obligatory don't get Cheb sued disclaimer: watch with your eyes, not with your hands!

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                --BlackMirror
                <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                  The scenario sound very, very familiar.

Try this: Open up the case, power on the computer, and watch the insides*. Specifically, pay attention to whether the CPU fan spins up or not. Virtually all modern motherboards have CPU overheat shutoff, and if your CPU fan died, those would be kicking in very quickly.

If that isn't it, pull out parts that the computer can function without -- anything you can unplug from the mobo will help narrow down the problem. Given that you're not even getting to the POST stage, the only things you really need plugged in are the mobo, the CPU and its fan, and one stick or RAM. Everything else (keyboard, primary hdd) will cause your machine to not boot, but is checked for at a later stage, and I'm betting an error message telling you "boot disk not found" will be a welcome sight at this juncture.

PS. Oh yeah -- anything is possible, but at this stage, I'm questioning the faulty PSU diagnosis since the machine tries to start up at all. All the dead PSUs I've seen either fried components outright or did nothing at all when the switch was flicked.

*obligatory don't get Cheb sued disclaimer: watch with your eyes, not with your hands!
                  I didn't say it was a dead PSU, only that it may no longer be able to provide enough power for his rig. As PSUs age with use, they lose some of their output capacity. Since his system is a bit more demanding, it could be tripping the PSU's overload protection.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                    Generally, you should get a beep code if the CPU fan is failing. Additionally, the motherboard wouldn't immediately shut off even with a dead cpu fan from a cold start--it should at least get to POST. I figure the PSU because without any error codes, you're more or less left to there being a short, a motherboard fault, or a PSU fault. The fact it turns on at all doesn't really support the first two, though it can. Not getting enough wattage from the PSU will let the system start but it'll go down as soon as it starts trying to test components and emergency shuts down before it overloads. Granted, without an explicit error code, you're still kind of left guessing.

watch with your eyes, not with your hands!
                    And if you have long hair, tie it back. I knew to keep my hair out of the way when it was long...she didn't. Without getting into it, I'll just say nothing major broke, she just had to replace a case fan and get a haircut.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                      Generally, you should get a beep code if the CPU fan is failing. Additionally, the motherboard wouldn't immediately shut off even with a dead cpu fan from a cold start--it should at least get to POST.
                      Last time I had to deal with it was a weird one -- the CPU fan *was* spinning, no fault beep codes, but I was getting heat shutdowns. Finally figured out what was going on: The (stock Intel) CPU fan was fine; the plastic clamps holding it against the CPU weren't. Ain't no beep code for bad physical design. Never trusting stock Intel fans again -- it's a miracle I didn't fry the CPU. But now that I think about it, the times I didn't even get to POST weren't from a cold start, which would explain the rapid shutdown.

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                      Without getting into it, I'll just say nothing major broke, she just had to replace a case fan and get a haircut.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                      --BlackMirror
                      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

I'm in the process of getting my hands on a volt meter to test the PSU. If the voltage reads 0 after I try to power up, will it definitively be the PSU that is the problem?

Comment

Not necessarily.

As noted already:
                          Re-seat all your cables and connections (I wouldn't bother pulling out the CPU myself).

If you have more than one stick of RAM then using one at a time (switching them out) try restarting. So if you have four sticks, restart it with one of the four each time. It doesn't matter if this is too little RAM to run your OS, if it tries to start, you can still narrow down the bad stick(s).

I had a similar issue where I had shut the computer down and it had been running for several weeks. When I restarted I got the beeps (your speaker might not be hooked up so no beeps) and it shut right off after a couple seconds. Turned out I had one stick of RAM that had gone bad, not sure why it caused trouble only on the restart when it worked fine. I know the slot works because I replaced the stick with another in the same slot.

So if you haven't already done so, try each stick of RAM separately. If necessary borrow a friend's stick if you only have one.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Took apart the PC except the cpu and put back the essential parts (mobo, ram, and a few case fans). Even gave it a new coat of thermal grease. Turned on the pc and got the same result. Went dead in half a second, same cpu LED blinked. The green motherboard light remained on the whole time.

Can I say it is a bad psu yet?

Comment

Did you try booting separately with the individual sticks of RAM or borrow a friends? I had the exact same problem as noted in this thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/6th-dev...tml#post969631

Power on, fans run for a couple seconds then it shutoff.
                              No beeps (I didn't have a speaker connected to that mobo though).
                              I had two sticks of RAM, booted with one then the other to figure out that one of them was bad.
                              If you have more than one stick or have a spare, this is a free diagnosis.
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X