Vista 64 - explorer.exe memory leak / usage increasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 64 - explorer.exe memory leak / usage increasing

I've noticed recently (past few months??) that explorer.exe has been using more and more memory the longer I leave my computer on. I constantly check memory usage and didn't start noticing this until a few months ago. When I reboot explorer.exe is using 80Mb or less but that grows over time to 150Mb+. I haven't been able to find a solution yet as to why this is happening.

Thoughts?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Vista 64 - explorer.exe memory leak / usage increasing

asch uses internet explorer????:S lol

it might be though that your cookies are getting bundled up and the more u use it the more it takes to start up ie? this is just a guess but dlt ure cookies and see if it makes a difference if u havnt tried that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
      asch uses internet explorer????:S lol
      Internet Explorer is iexplorer.exe. The process that is causing me issues is explorer.exe which is part of the core windows system.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
        Internet Explorer is iexplorer.exe. The process that is causing me issues is explorer.exe which is part of the core windows system.
        ah totally misread that. ive always had issues with vista's explorer.exe for me it crashes and or freezes atleast once a week. although this particular issue i havnt noticed. sry cant help u there.

Comment

What your describing is normal. Most likely explorer.exe also experiences fragmentation with use of dynamic memory allocation (heap memory) over the course of it's runtime while your computer is running. Usually restarting the process or rebooting the system will clear the heap and return the process back to "normal" usage.

Right now explorer.exe is using ~60 MBs of memory and if I leave my system on for 2-3 days, I can see it using 150 MBs.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's part of the way Vista uses memory. Generally, if you're using a lot of applications that are memory-intensive, but aren't explicitly denoted as "games" (Windows 6 and 7 are both pretty good about this--coincidentally, this is part of the reason why Steam sometimes had horrible memory usage problems when Vista first released) such as anything from the Photoshop suite or whatever, Vista pre-loads a segment of the memory so that the programs start faster (if you press the Windows/Start button, pretty much any of the "commonly-used" programs immediately listed are going to be pre-loaded into memory, assuming they're not a game). As your computer stays on, it'll pre-load programs you have already used under the assumption you may start them back up.
            If you want to see the difference in action, the next time you're at a Fry's or Best Buy near closing time, mosey on over to the computer display models and check what their memory usage is at--it should be pretty low since they're pretty clean of any applications, even though they're sitting on all day.
            That all said, explorer.exe shouldn't climb beyond a few percentage points of your total memory. I've seen reports of 500+ MB of usage, which is when I'd start wondering on there being some sort of problem. *edit* And as long as the system isn't being adversely affected by the usage increase.

The amusing thing about the accusations of Vista being bloatware pretty much ties back into this massive shift in how memory is used, even though it's a far less stupid way of using memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
              It's part of the way Vista uses memory. Generally, if you're using a lot of applications that are memory-intensive, but aren't explicitly denoted as "games" (Windows 6 and 7 are both pretty good about this--coincidentally, this is part of the reason why Steam sometimes had horrible memory usage problems when Vista first released) such as anything from the Photoshop suite or whatever, Vista pre-loads a segment of the memory so that the programs start faster (if you press the Windows/Start button, pretty much any of the "commonly-used" programs immediately listed are going to be pre-loaded into memory, assuming they're not a game). As your computer stays on, it'll pre-load programs you have already used under the assumption you may start them back up.
              If you want to see the difference in action, the next time you're at a Fry's or Best Buy near closing time, mosey on over to the computer display models and check what their memory usage is at--it should be pretty low since they're pretty clean of any applications, even though they're sitting on all day.
              That all said, explorer.exe shouldn't climb beyond a few percentage points of your total memory. I've seen reports of 500+ MB of usage, which is when I'd start wondering on there being some sort of problem. *edit* And as long as the system isn't being adversely affected by the usage increase.

The amusing thing about the accusations of Vista being bloatware pretty much ties back into this massive shift in how memory is used, even though it's a far less stupid way of using memory.
              Do we know that SuperFetch uses explorer.exe exclusively to pre-loads programs into main memory?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

also use Ccleaner to keep your system cleaned out and also help windows run smoother.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  Do we know that SuperFetch uses explorer.exe exclusively to pre-loads programs into main memory?
                  It's not so much that explorer.exe is the one storing the memory, it's the one keeping track of it, at least with Vista. I'm going off of conjecture (read: guessing) but I don't think Windows 7 has explorer.exe performing that function and actually offloads it to one of the svchost.exe processes. Which admittedly makes a bit more sense than putting it on the integral system process.

Comment

I regularly keep my rig clean. It's one of the reasons I'm always checking memory usage. I did find a nice article that shows an easy way to restart explorer.exe without causing issues.

I also was reading that explorer.exe isn't really a necessary windows file. It controls your taskbar, start menu, and desktop (i.e. icons). Some folks who tweak their desktops stop explorer.exe from running for a better UI. In any case, I don't think I'm to that point yet. :)
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                      It's not so much that explorer.exe is the one storing the memory, it's the one keeping track of it, at least with Vista. I'm going off of conjecture (read: guessing) but I don't think Windows 7 has explorer.exe performing that function and actually offloads it to one of the svchost.exe processes. Which admittedly makes a bit more sense than putting it on the integral system process.
                      That I would agree with, though I don't think Vista nor Windows 7 completely preloads programs into main memory. Probably just some core processes is my best guess judging from the multiple svchost.exe processes I see crop up in Task Manager.

Though I think, in today's rigs and especially here at TG, I wouldn't think a 90 MB memory usage in Explorer.exe is going to matter much since I've never seen it go beyond 200 MBs myself (and only for a little while).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My Vista has a memory leak in the form of a process called IpHelper. Everytime i reinstall vista, i have to disable this process, if not, it will use up 6 out of my 8 gigs of RAM or more.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                          My Vista has a memory leak in the form of a process called IpHelper. Everytime i reinstall vista, i have to disable this process, if not, it will use up 6 out of my 8 gigs of RAM or more.
                          IPHelper should not be using anywhere near that much RAM. I'd check your system for viruses or rootkits if I were you. That is not normal and I can't find anyone posting about a similar incident by searching through Google (and I've never seen IPHelper use more than a few megs).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I wonder if there's some sort of incompatibility issue with your motherboard's networking firmware and IPHelper. I know Vista on my laptop and its built-in wireless card have an absolute fit if I accidentally connect to an IPv6 network without shutting off IPHelper.

Comment

Asch this has a lot to do with services and background tasks running. If you haven't already you can optimize windows by setting services to run manually or disable. You would want to go through a services guide for vista to learn what each service does and the recommended setting for it as well as whether or not you need it.

Then ofcourse reduce background tasks that run on startup, like tray programs. Some of those may very well build up ram usage as well. You've also got windows UI elements and sidebar that will could increase explorer.exe ram usage.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X