Total Meltdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Meltdown

Alright so here I am looking at all the nice Steam sales going on so I buy a few games that I haven't played before. I get Borderlands, install it start it up. I go and turn up the graphics a bit since it seemed to start it out at pretty low specs. Go to start playing, watch the pretty cool intro then DRAAGAGAGAG! My computer tries to make me blind and deaf at the same time!

My computer goes locks up so I do a manual restart. I go to turn the graphics back down thinking that I may have turned them up a bit to much. After I try to save the new settings its locks up again and the screen starts looking like the matrix. Restart again, load up the game one more time, and it locks up before I even get to options.

After the newt restart though it when **** hits the fan, the whole time windows is loading the screen is filled with discolored lines and random symbols. Finally windows 7 turns my graphics card off. This gives me time to uninstall all drivers, restart and reinstall everything.

At first I think this did the trick, but I figure I should stop trying to play borderlands at this point so I go web surfing. The computer ends up doing the same thing as I was watching a video. By this time I have taken the graphics card out and so far everything its normal(well besides not having a graphics card, although I found out I have a pretty nice internal one that I never knew I had)

The biggest problem is, is that my video card isn't that old at all, I'm trying to find my receipt to see if I still have it on warranty, but I think I only had a 1 year deal which has passed.

So I figure I have two problems:

A: I need a new video card
    B: I need a new power source
    C: I need both A and B

My Computer specs are as followed

Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.68GHz
    4 GB ram
    1TB hard drive
    (old card)GeForce 8800GT
    (internal video card)ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    |TG-Irr|WarV

Re: Total Meltdown

Does this problem only happen with Borderlands and online videos (I assume Flash)?

When you took the graphics card out, how hot would you say it was to the touch? (Say...scale of 1 to 10. 10 being extremely hot.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That's definitely a dead video card. Unless your PSU is clearly performing unusually, I'm certain you don't need to replace it. Graphical artifacts aren't really a sign of PSU malfunction, PSU problems tend to manifest as slightly more glorious displays of error.

I've never really been convinced that the 8800-series of cards didn't have some inherent flaw. My 8800gtx fried after 15 months and while it's anecdotal to say this...every person I knew that had an 8800 of some type wound up with a dead card in under 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Does this problem only happen with Borderlands and online videos (I assume Flash)?

When you took the graphics card out, how hot would you say it was to the touch? (Say...scale of 1 to 10. 10 being extremely hot.)
        It started to go crazy before I went to work, I toke it out after I got back so any type of heat would be gone.

Pretty much what I feared to be the case, but I always like to check before I have to shell out for a new video card.
        |TG-Irr|WarV

Comment

Anyway I went ahead and got a new video card. I also bought some new fans just in case. I have been needing some new fans anyway.
          |TG-Irr|WarV

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X