Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So..let's say it "might" be time to upgrade my video card.what "should" I get if any?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So..let's say it "might" be time to upgrade my video card.what "should" I get if any?

I am running Vista Ulty 64-bit with 8GB RAM, 2 rappy's in a RAID0 and currently have a 4870 1GB card..

It has been great and all, but is getting a little long in the tooth..

Since I have very little money to spend, is there a decent card that would be "Better" than my 4870?

Would it even be worth the trouble..? I jumped on with my "stand by" box and with an 8800GT it still rocked along more than fine..

So is there something out there that would be worth the effort for say $200 or so..? Or should I wait till the card dies and then look around..?

I am a bit "out of it" as far as gaming hardware is concerned, so I am afraid I am not up on the latest and greatest..

What would you guys suggest..?

Re: So..let's say it "might" be time to upgrade my video card.what "should" I get if

The 4870 was a great card. I've heard that if you put two of them in a Crossfire setup, your performance will meet or exceed many of the newer more expensive cards. I'd suggest you grab another 4870! However, if you HAVE to have DX11 or eyefinity, I've been super pleased with my 5830. I think two 4870's would outperform mine, though. Tomshardware has a great writeup about the performance of each setup.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Re: So..let's say it "might" be time to upgrade my video card.what "should" I get if

4870 is not a bad card even today, it rates at 1,743
      http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

to get anything better you're looking at ati 58xx series or nvidia 4xx series. The GTX 280 does beat it but not by much. I don't see how that card is getting long in the tooth, what are you doing to the poor thing?

- -

Comment

I'm not exactly certain how a 4870 isn't sufficient for you; it's somewhat better than my gtx 260 and there isn't anything that it can't currently run. In all honesty, I wouldn't really recommend changing anything, but if you really want to, take some time to read through TomsHardware reviews. Specifically, the latest Best Graphics Cards for the Money article.

Amusingly enough, according to the hierarchy chart, a crossfire layout of 4870s, as War.mongeR1 suggested, is rated below only the 5970.

Comment

Birdie, what's your setup that's stressing your 4870? It's still medium-high card and lies basically between my HD5830 and a HD5770.

At $200, you'd only be able to get a HD5830. The HD5850 is still out of your price range by another $50 - $80.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Wait for the next gen of cards - when that is I don't know but I assume sometime this winter.
            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
              I am running Vista Ulty 64-bit with 8GB RAM, 2 rappy's in a RAID0 and currently have a 4870 1GB card..
              And your CPU...?

Comment

The CPU is a Q8200..sorry I forgot to put that in there..

I was just noticing that a demo PC setup at fry's running BC2 seemed to look a HECKUVA lot BETTER than my rig did running it on virtually the same monitor..so I was thinking that I was kind of way out of things..

I did some looking, and the exact card I have, which is a Radeon from Diamond is just nowhere to be found..but it does not matter, I do not think my P5NE is a crossfire board
                anyways...

As for upgrading..after spending more time and thought..there is really no reason at all..I wish I had been able to find out just what that machine at Fry's was using that made the game look SO much different! I don't understand it, but I am going to try and get back out there and see if the machine is still there and in the same configuration..

Comment

You guys keep your eyes peeled..if you find one just like this..please let me know..

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-4870PE...N%3DB001FB6SIG

Comment

Looking at your specs, the closest thing I can see to a bottleneck in your system is the Q8200 with its small cache. I think you might have a driver issue if you're having trouble with BFBC2. Either that or you have HBAO turned on...
                    sigpic

Comment

What is HBAO..?

What annoys me the most is how long it takes to load in..without the timer, there are times when objectives have already been blown up by the time I can get into game..! grrrr...

Comment

birdie it's been discontinued so you'll only find it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-Radeon-H...item3caf10db2a

If you get this in time you can try to get it there.

- -

Comment

So I googled this HBAO thingy and I have no idea still, but at least I know where to look for whether to turn it off, and I am going to check tonite and see if I have mine turned on and if so, then I will turn it off and see..

Comment

Thanks Vulcan..I am blocked from ebay here at work, so I cannot even look to see..

I will check when I get home..

Thanks again sir.. :)

Comment

This machine was not even supposed to be mine..

A "friend" asked me to get him a bunch of good stuff and put it together and he would pay me..well, he paid me about 1/2 of it, and then said he couldn't afford it and then the REALLY funny thing was, he wanted the money he had paid me back..!

He ain't much my buddy no more..but I did get that rig out of it for a decent discount if you look at it in a positive sort of "I got screwed, but at least I got the machine" type of perspective..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X