ROuter Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROuter Issues

I recently moved and switched my ISP. I have netgear router that worked perfectly at my old place. At my new place, the internet works fine when I plug my comp directly into the modem, but when I go through the router, the interent slows way down. Any reason for this? And suggestions?

Re: ROuter Issues

Try doing a full factory reset on the router and setting it up from scratch..

Who is your new broadband ISP?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Charter communications......I forgot how do set up the router

Comment

What is the Make/Model of the router? There should be a "reset" switch on the back. In some cases you just need to push it. In others you may have to hold it for 10 seconds or so. Some routers require you to hold the reset switch and power-cycle it to revert back to factory default.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

ok I reset.....setting up network now. By the way what are MUT settings?

Comment

Many ISPs have their modems configured to "remember" the MAC address of connected computers/routers, allowing only the first address to show up to function at full speed, or function at all. They do this so they can restrict you to one IP address, and make you pay for more IPs if you want them.

So, if you had your computer plugged into the modem, then swapped cables and had your router plugged into the modem, the modem probably remembers the MAC address of the computer. Power off the router, wait a good 30 seconds for the memory to clear, then power it back in with your router connected.

If that doesn't solve it, you may have a speed or duplex mismatch between your router and your modem. If your router allows you to, try forcing the WAN port to be 10Mbps/full-duplex. Test. Try 100Mbps/full-duplex. I doubt the modem is half-duplex, but you could try setting that as well.

If you're still getting nowhere, it may be that MAC-learning is implemented further upstream at the ISP, perhaps at their DHCP server or elsewhere. Make a support call. You'll probably get the "we won't support your router" line, but many techs will still try and help you anyways.
            "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

....Or you need to just clone your MAC address from your PC to your Router. I know my router has a tab in it's firmware for doing that. I forget how to get it in XP, but in older OS you could get it from ipconfig. I had to do that, because my ISP ID's my MAC
              address to my internet account. If it doesn't match, no internet.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I would appreciate it if you would use the english language when speaking to me about networking ;-) .....My comp works fine now and so does the wireless lap top. The problem now is that I cant get my wifes computer to work on the router. THe router light for her ethernet cable does not even light. SO her comp is not allowing anything out or the router is not allowing her comp in. No firewalls are active on her comp. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by verbose

If you're still getting nowhere, it may be that MAC-learning is implemented further upstream at the ISP, perhaps at their DHCP server or elsewhere. Make a support call. You'll probably get the "we won't support your router" line, but many techs will still try and help you anyways.
                  Got that line the other day and almost hit the roof.....i cant stand customer support. They told me to call netgear so i did and they told me that since I bot the router so long ago I was SOL. That really sent me off the deep end....

Comment

Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
                    I would appreciate it if you would use the english language when speaking to me about networking ;-) .....My comp works fine now and so does the wireless lap top. The problem now is that I cant get my wifes computer to work on the router. THe router light for her ethernet cable does not even light. SO her comp is not allowing anything out or the router is not allowing her comp in. No firewalls are active on her comp. Anyone have any suggestions?
                    If you're not getting a network light on the port your wife's computer is connected to, the port is not sensing a connection (either because the port is dead, the network card on the computer is not active, or a bad cable). Try another port if you haven't already, then try another cable, then try and verify that your wife's computer is actually talking to it's network card (what OS?).

Comment

Router is ok, cable is ok...using xp.....I cant for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

Comment

Go to Start, Connect to, Show All connections. Look for the network card, you probably only have one. Right click and see if the first item is Enable or Disable. If it is Enable, then click it. Also check to see if there is a red X on the network card prior to right clicking.

Also, if you haven't tried already try plugging another computer into the same port that you are having problems with. If that works, take the same cable and plug into your wife's computer to see if you get any better results.

Also, check the port on the router to make sure it is actually has a number. Sometimes there are uplink ports that look like regular ports but aren't.

[volun]

Comment

yes yes yes....I have set up a network before, but for some reason the router and the wifes comp refuse to cooperate.

Thanks for your help

Killer i have not seen you on the bf2 server or is it that you ahve not seen me

Comment

if there's no light there's no connection. My guess here would be a bad (or installed improperly) network card. Especially if you've tested everything else (cable works, router port works) The lights turn on when they have a connection, (ie: are plugged into a computer that is on) for most of this hardware, it doesn't have anything to do with the computer actually using the connection.
                            Try re-installing the network card, or swapping it if you happen to have a spare.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

This used to be a very useful and accessible site for home netowrking (though I haven't checked it in a while):

http://practicallynetworked.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X