No announcement yet.

Do CPU temperatures go down over time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do CPU temperatures go down over time?

I got a new CPU/motherboard.

Initially the CPU temp hovered around 36-40 at idle. Loads kicked it up to about 44-48.

After about 5 days the idle has gone down to about 31-33 and loads are more typically in the 40-44 area. (Will go to 48 under extreme load).

I can maintain these temperatures even when I take the CPU fan down to 75% normal speed.

Is this normal? I never really monitored CPU temps this close before and have found it interesting.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Do CPU temperatures go down over time?

It depends on what kind of thermal paste you used. Some pastes like Arctic Silver 5 need a week or so to cure and will drop a few degrees off of your temps.
    sigpic

Comment

Have your house temperatures or air flow changed? Increasing airflow or a cooler environment can have a huge impact on temperatures. Heck, moving the box a few inches closer or farther from a wall can change it several degrees.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
        It depends on what kind of thermal paste you used. Some pastes like Arctic Silver 5 need a week or so to cure and will drop a few degrees off of your temps.
        Some aftermarket coolers also do have a little break-in time where they perform a little better.

Normally, CPU temps don't drop over time (not after the thermal paste as cured and the HSF is broken in). Usually they tend to rise as dust accumulates in the heatsink fins blocking airflow or as the bearings on the HSF fan start to wear out and the fans speed drops. Otherwise, if everything is in working order, you shouldn't see a rise in temperatures at all over the course of it's life (not rise as in difference between idle and load temps).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I used the artcicsilver 5 so that probably explains it. That is some good stuff.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            I used the artcicsilver 5 so that probably explains it. That is some good stuff.
            Most likely it just cured and stabilized. Takes anywhere from a few days to a week and some.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X