Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading My PC (Motherboard, CPU , and VGA Upgrade )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading My PC (Motherboard, CPU , and VGA Upgrade )

Ok, so I have been thinking about upgrading my PC for a while and I am going to be getting some money to do so come the end of august.

I am on a budget of 400.00
    Here is my Current System build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHZ

PSU: Thermal Take 600 Watts Purepower

Video Card: ATI 5750 1 GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital 700 GB Hard Drives

Now Here is my Proposed System uprgade -

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard)
    Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3
    Video Cards: 2x ATI 5750 1 GB in Crossfire X

Should I go with the build that i suggested or a different Build?
    and will this build work with my current power supply?
    And when he get to heaven,
    To Saint Peter he will tell;
    One more soldier reporting sir
    I've serve my time in hell

Re: Upgrading My PC (Motherboard, CPU , and VGA Upgrade )

At this point, you already have a pretty nice rig and I think you could just save the $400 and wait for the upcoming Bulldozer platform from AMD to release, before deciding on any upgrade plans. You could even save up and build a completely new rig based on Bulldozer in a year's time (maybe less).

If you really really wanted a quad core, you could consider a low-end Core 2 Quad Q8300 CPU for $150 @ NewEgg. Then just couple it with a good aftermarket cooler and OC it. I can't hardily recommend the Q9550 for $265 @ eWiz since it would be quite costly dip out of your $400 budget.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey,

Just an FYI i am Getting 700.00 at the end of this coming Month. I am just setting aside 400.00 for upgrades.

I plan on buying a few games and I want to run them at Max Settings or close to that.

For the Games i have Pre-Ordered (Just to Give you a system Spec Range)

They are

Crysis 2
      Medal of Honor
      CIV 5
      Fallout New Vegas
      Mafia 2

I personally really want to play my games at max settings.

So I guess the Question is what Part would give me the most performance for the Buck? I cannot fit another Graphics card on my PC due to it only has one PCI-E port.

The Only Logical Route is to get a More powerful CPU or Get a New Motherboard/CPU and Upgrade from there.

EDIT: Found a AMD x6 Combo Going for a really good price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.436096

It is in my price range and I can get some 1 GB DDR3 ram for 38.00 a piece.
      Last edited by Benjamin385; 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM.
      And when he get to heaven,
      To Saint Peter he will tell;
      One more soldier reporting sir
      I've serve my time in hell

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin385
        Just an FYI i am Getting 700.00 at the end of this coming Month. I am just setting aside 400.00 for upgrades.

I plan on buying a few games and I want to run them at Max Settings or close to that.

For the Games i have Pre-Ordered (Just to Give you a system Spec Range)

They are

Crysis 2
        Medal of Honor
        CIV 5
        Fallout New Vegas
        Mafia 2

I personally really want to play my games at max settings.
        Okay, what resolution will you be gaming at?

Off hand, I'd say you won't be able to get max settings on Crysis 2 nor on Fallout New Vegas with a resolution of 1680 x 1050 or higher. I don't think even with a HD5750 CF setup. As history tells us, both are going to be gauntlet runs for any gaming system and will likely be used as future benchmark apps.

So I guess the Question is what Part would give me the most performance for the Buck? I cannot fit another Graphics card on my PC due to it only has one PCI-E port.

The Only Logical Route is to get a More powerful CPU or Get a New Motherboard/CPU and Upgrade from there.

EDIT: Found a AMD x6 Combo Going for a really good price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.436096

It is in my price range and I can get some 1 GB DDR3 ram for 38.00 a piece.
        I would not suggest getting single 1 GB DDR3 modules and pairing them up. You'd have to get dual-channel or triple-channel kits or face the real possibility of memory errors due to the unmatched pairing of RAM.

That's not a bad combo deal. You'd probably have to invest in an aftermarket cooler as I don't think the stock AMD cooler will handle the hexacore that well on full load (or it might and be as loud as a jet engine from far away).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X