Need help on upgrading my desktop computer, HP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on upgrading my desktop computer, HP

Okay I need help with my computer. Should I upgrade it? Or just get a new one? I am specifically planning to upgrade the graphics card since it's only Nvidia Geforce 7100, but if you find anything else that you think could use some improvement, please feel free to tell me! Here are two links. If you need more information, don't hesitate to ask. I bought this computer almost two years ago I think.

Edit: For the graphics card, my price range is $0 - 100, 150 max if really necessary.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3794733

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3794733

Re: Need help on upgrading my desktop computer, HP

A word of warning based on the photo of the motherboard: I don't think you will be able to fit some of the larger cards into that PCI Express slot, as I highly suspect that they will intersect with the ram slots. (Granted, this concern is largely moot because of the following one.)

In all honesty, I don't know what to suggest because I don't know what a 160w power supply will be able to run that's "better" than what is already in that box.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102874

Something like that may work. It might still be cutting it close with your power supply. It would be a strong upgrade to what you currently have, however it would still be lacking in current games.

In order to get a stronger upgrade upgrade you would need a more powerful power supply. That may be difficult to find as I imagine it is a smaller than standard form. You would then still be limited by the physical space inside you box.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

That card is recommended a 400w PSU, much the same problem a lot of cards better than the 7100 would be.

Comment

You just can't get a graphics card and plop it in. That PSU was designed specifically for a low-power PC. If you want to add-in another graphics card, consider getting a new standard PSU and have it sit outside your case (with the wires leading into the case through the PSU mounting hole where the previous PSU sat).

That's the cheapest upgrade you have.

Next best option is to save up, buy a new case, transfer everything over and upgrade as your please.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
            That card is recommended a 400w PSU, much the same problem a lot of cards better than the 7100 would be.
            Recommended wattage for graphics cards is ALWAYS overkill. They suggest that minimum with a poor PSU and the most power hungry CPU/hardrive/multiple active disc drives.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

You'll also need a low profile card with that slim case, unless you're going to leave the side of the case off.

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                Recommended wattage for graphics cards is ALWAYS overkill. They suggest that minimum with a poor PSU and the most power hungry CPU/hardrive/multiple active disc drives.
                Yeah, but this is a 190w PSU already powering the rest of the box. A ready-built computer, particularly of the SlimLine's design philosophy, is not going to have a lot of leeway and you're still looking at an extra 20-60w of potential consumption with an added card of that size. Even if you assume the PSU is over twice as large as it currently needs to be (half full or half empty, if you will), you're still getting pretty close to your upper limit.

Unfortunately, upgrading the PSU in these boxes is always a pain because even if the box will fit a normal ATX or µATX PSU, I've had bad experiences in the past of having to fight with customized brackets that seem curiously designed to prevent equipment changes (a friend of a friend in high school had a case with rivets holding the bracket....that was a lost cause for my patience).

Comment

Yeah, but this is a 190w PSU already powering the rest of the box. A ready-built computer, particularly of the SlimLine's design philosophy, is not going to have a lot of leeway and you're still looking at an extra 20-60w of potential consumption with an added card of that size. Even if you assume the PSU is over twice as large as it currently needs to be (half full or half empty, if you will), you're still getting pretty close to your upper limit.

Unfortunately, upgrading the PSU in these boxes is always a pain because even if the box will fit a normal ATX or µATX PSU, I've had bad experiences in the past of having to fight with customized brackets that seem curiously designed to prevent equipment changes (a friend of a friend in high school had a case with rivets holding the bracket....that was a lost cause for my patience).
                  Like I said, buy a new standard mATX case and move all the components over. Get a new PSU and the graphics card and he's good to go.

That way you don't have to worry about buying a Flex-ATX or mini-ITX PSU for the case or any other proprietary features in the case itself.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Are any of you familiar with the power supply unit that was designed specifically for the purpose of powering a GPU? I remember seeing them a couple of years ago. They were small and slim, and they could easily power the whole machine.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                      They were small and slim, and they could easily power the whole machine.
                      What? I have not seen any small form factor PSUs with enough output to power anything even close to a modern gaming rig. Sure some do exist that power whole systems, but those are usually mini-ITX builds that in itself are very low power rigs (typically less than 160W). As for powering just a graphics card, I have not seen any dedicated "graphics card PSUs". How power hungry of a graphics card are we talking about here? A high-end one, like a HD5870, or a low-end one like a HD4350?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

His computer is small if I remember, but as far as I could find within 5 minutes, here is a PSU made just for a Graphics Card:
                        http://reviews.cnet.com/search-resul...0.html#manDesc
                        http://www.geek.com/articles/xyzcomp...cards-2006038/

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I tried to make this clear in my first post, sorry if it wasn't.
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                            His computer is small if I remember, but as far as I could find within 5 minutes, here is a PSU made just for a Graphics Card:
                            http://reviews.cnet.com/search-resul...0.html#manDesc
                            http://www.geek.com/articles/xyzcomp...cards-2006038/
                            That is really cool! The second link especially illustrates it well. If you can buy one of these, it certainly seems like the easiest solution!
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I just realized something, but we may be talking like Data out of Star Trek. We might need to explain our posts...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X