Configuring an AV receiver to hear dialog better

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring an AV receiver to hear dialog better

I like my movies loud but when little asch or the wife is sleeping I have to crank the volume down. I'm finding that it is quite often hard to hear dialog in movies. If I turn the volume up to a point I can easily understand the dialog then I get hit with an action sequence that wakes everyone in the house up (slightly exaggerated but you get the point).

I have a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver setup with a couple (center/left/right) of Klipsch speakers. What I'd like to do is configure (equalizer??) the receiver so that it normalizes the sounds a big so I can hear the dialog easier when I have to keep the volume at lower levels.

Any suggestions?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Configuring an AV receiver to hear dialog better

None here, although I had no trouble my wife never could make out dialog and no balance was found. She talked me out of keeping the speaker setup when we redid the entertainment center yesterday because I had no luck.

I know there was at one time a limiter on some sets that capped out volume at a certain level for that exact situation, but I don't remember what it was called and you might see if you have it on your set or receiver.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I suggest that you turn up the volume on your center channel. The majority of voices come out of that speaker, and the action is usually focused on your front left/right speakers. If it's still not clear enough, sometimes an upgrade in a center channel speaker can make a HUGE difference. However, you have a great receiver and good speakers, so that's probably not the issue. I had a similar issue as you, and turning up the center channel +5 db did the trick. I could use a new center, though. My center channel speaker blows. Haha.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I had a stereo setup as I never really found the additional surround features to my liking. A good balanced stereo setup gave left and right directional features and I find sounds behind distracting as I know I'm looking at a screen. Even setting the sound to stereo did not resolve the muted voices although dropping the high and lows a little helped but if watching on TV the mid range frequencies will be the basis of the increased volume and I still had the issues asch was trying to resolve.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

EQ is really the only solution. It may vary based on program, but basically, boost the mids and drop the rest. The bass is most likely what is causing complaints. Here is a handy guide.
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I noticed in your receiver's specs that it has Adaptive Dynamic Range Control.
            Is that something you can tweak ?? Or is it an automatic thing.

|

Comment

I though the Yamaha's come with a built in utility that sets this up for you...I think it comes with a mic or something that you setup in the middle of the room. Also, in the settings, make sure you are choosing the right size of speaker...and if the power has gone out and come back in the house, yamaha receivers will reset with speakers a and b off so you need to turn either a or b back on(whichever one your mains are hooked up.) I own and used to sell Yamaha equipment so you can pm me any questions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X