Setting up a HD5550 for a HDTV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a HD5550 for a HDTV

I recently got a HD5550 for my HTPC to replace a 9800GT that didn't have SPDIF pass through. The new card is in but I'm having a heck of a time getting everything working properly.

HD 5550 is connected to my Vizio XVT472SV through HDMI. I have the 10.6 drivers and I've selected the 1080p resolution from the HD section through CCC, which so far seems like junk compared to the nvidia software. The main issue so far is that The image is not fully using the screen space despite what resolution I run it at.

HDTV with 9800GT:

HDTV with HD 5550:

The audio was acting up a bit earlier but that has somehow fixed itself.

Are there any ATI secrets to know about or am I going to have wipe the driver and reinstall it?
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Setting up a HD5550 for a HDTV

Have you checked in the control interface for either the card or the tv for an "overscanning" setting. ATI sometimes auto crops the screen....not sure why. You might also look for a scaling setting to scale the image up to the size of the tv.

Comment

Seems like that was the issue, auto unscaling what an odd decision.

Comment

Seems I have a new issue. The driver install got messed up somehow I've run driver sweeper several times and now no matter what driver I try to install it says that all the drivers are already up to date. Any suggestions on getting a driver installed or am I looking at a new windows install.

Comment

Go to Device Manager, expand Display, right-click your video card and click Uninstall. Reboot, try reinstalling 10.6 again.

With Driver Sweeper/Cleaner, you are supposed to run it AFTER you've uninstalled the drivers, not before. It removes leftovers left behind by the uninstall process and does not actually remove the drivers for you.

As for HTPC through HDMI on ATI, I rather like that then nVidia. With nVidia on my living room HTPC, it overscans and I have to compensate each time I change the resolution.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Done but I'm still getting video corruption to complete loss of image, I guess at this point I'm going to call and get a RMA. I might try and test the card on my main rig tonight but only if I have time.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
              Done but I'm still getting video corruption to complete loss of image, I guess at this point I'm going to call and get a RMA. I might try and test the card on my main rig tonight but only if I have time.
              Tell us how it goes if you do test it in your main rig.

Something else to consider, is it overheating?

I know for me, the cabinet my HTPC resides in causes more heat buildup because of the limited airflow and the hot living room ambient temperature. (So far it hasn't overheated but with a regular desktop, it would have by now.)
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The card is warm to hot but not overheating. Even set up a fan on it to test it out with no luck.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X