Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs to arrive ahead of schedule, could be with us this year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs to arrive ahead of schedule, could be with us this year

This is pretty big news that I think deserved it's own post. I have noticed a lot of threads here lately about upgrading, and being informed on what is about to be out can help you decided.

Lin k: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/i...edule-could-b/

The big thing to know is that it will require a completely new socket, so that means a new motherboard. That is pretty annoying since i7/i5 hasn't been out anywhere near as long as 775 was around. So no easy upgrade for current folks. And I'm really interested in seeing some real world numbers. I don't see this as being as big a jump as i7 was, since this is the Tock part of the Intel Tick Tock strategy.

Crazy thing is right now I'm still out of town helping take care of my grandparents, and typing this on a Pentium 2 laptop. It is so buggy I really want to go Office Space on it. It has 128mb of RAM, and the trackpad is buggy as hell so when the computer heats up, the pointer gets possessed and gets a mind of it's own. So I can only use it for about 3-4 mins. at a time. It's my mom's, so no taking an ax to it. I'm actually thinking of going to buy an Ipad. I miss my home PC so much right now I could give it a hug. :row__633::row__682::row__629:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs to arrive ahead of schedule, could be with us this year

I'll be a bit pissed if they don't keep supporting the 1156 socket.

Comment

Re: Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs to arrive ahead of schedule, could be with us this year

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      The big thing to know is that it will require a completely new socket, so that means a new motherboard.
      To quote the Internet:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...!

Oh well. I'm highly skeptical I'll need anything more powerful than my i7-930 for quite some time. Still kind of makes me feel like I invested into a high quality AGP motherboard 6 months before PCI-e released early.

Comment

And the revival of LGA 775? Come on Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
          And the revival of LGA 775? Come on Intel.
          Did I miss something?

By the way, does this have anything to do with some of the price changes?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yes, apparently I mis-read another article on techspot.

Comment

upgrade every 3 years is my motto now and sometimes 4. No way am i getting caught up in mid step sockets again. Try to gauge what the cpu makers are doing.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                upgrade every 3 years is my motto now and sometimes 4. No way am i getting caught up in mid step sockets again. Try to gauge what the cpu makers are doing.
                That's the thing, Intel is capitalizing on the high-end/enthusiast portion of the market by pushing out new sockets every 2 years (maybe even sooner in the future). AMD seems to be settling into the mainstream and budget ends of the market and is trying its best squeeze as much life out of the current AM3 socket as it can be promising the future Bulldozer platform to support the socket.

Intel sees that people are willing to dish out extra extra cash for that 1-10% performance gain and seeing how that's a lot of dollars attached, they're being greedy and smart about it.

At this point, Intel has dropped from my list for any future desktop rig builds. Their platforms are getting significantly costlier and harder to maintain as sockets become obsolete much sooner (looks like 2 years now). So if I invest in a $1500 rig with this new socket (or rather 2 sockets), then 2-3 years later if I wanted to buy a new CPU, I'd have to invest in a whole new system as no new chips would be out or available for my rig.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                  Yep yep!
                  My almost 4 year old Q6600 is still running strong.
                  I do have to say though the same can't be said for GFX cards. My 8800gts should have already been replaced more than a year ago.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Yep yep!
                    My almost 4 year old Q6600 is still running strong.
                    I do have to say though the same can't be said for GFX cards. My 8800gts should have already been replaced more than a year ago.
                    I smell a GTX460 in your future
                    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I'm going to assume my i7-930 will last me for at least a few years. I can live with Crysis 2 not running at the absolute maximum (although allegedly, they're going to actually try and optimize their coding this time, lol). Hell, I still don't maximize BC2 because of my graphics card. Thankfully, I don't think the PCI-e socket is going away anytime soon.

**("August 1, 2010. This just in: AGP-XtremeScowlEdition sockets have just been announced for September of this year, along with DX12 cards that require it and all support has been dropped for that obsolete, smelly PCI-e!")**

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                        I'm going to assume my i7-930 will last me for at least a few years. I can live with Crysis 2 not running at the absolute maximum (although allegedly, they're going to actually try and optimize their coding this time, lol). Hell, I still don't maximize BC2 because of my graphics card. Thankfully, I don't think the PCI-e socket is going away anytime soon.

**("August 1, 2010. This just in: AGP-XtremeScowlEdition sockets have just been announced for September of this year, along with DX12 cards that require it and all support has been dropped for that obsolete, smelly PCI-e!")**
                        Dude, wait, say that again... that last part, yes, can you run that by me again? Am I to understand that they are going to try to use AGP again and suddenly start making Dx12 cards already?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                          I can't tell if you're joking or serious.

I didn't know AGP was being revived...
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

he's joking lol

dx12 is not around yet though i'm sure ms is working on it and dx13.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                              I smell a GTX460 in your future
                              Not no but HELL no!
                              Nvidia is so far off my list it's amazing I can even remember how to spell their name.
                              For those that forget, Nvidia has their cards set so that if you run a dual monitor setup, the card will run at load, but without turning up the cooling fan. I posted an article about it when the new 400 gen first came out. The guys card was running at 85+ degrees even though he was just sitting with a blank desktop. I don't need any more of a space heater than I already have from their 8800.
                              They really screwed this gen up completely.

Unless by some magic they release the 500 gen in the next couple of months, ATI will be in my system. And since we are starting to get close to a year since ATI released their 5000 gen, I'm expecting we will be hearing about their next gen pretty soon. Though due to the lack of rumors I would have expected by now, I'm starting to wonder if ATI is just sitting back happy considering their sales. I read a few months ago the new stuff was expected towards the end of summer. Nvidia shares are at like a 52 week low I read the other day which is pretty crazy since a year ago they were flying so high.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X