New monitor time!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor time!

It's that time again! Or some people may say, finally.

Earlier today my trusty CRT finally popped something, and the electron beam went out of control. Severe overscan and beam width issues. Turn it off, turn it back on, it fires up the transformers and whatnot, but right when it sets to screen resolution and turns the gun on, it pops, makes a zap noise, a thing reminescent of the Ribbons screensaver shows up very briefly, and then it turns off, only to recycle the transformer and do it all over again.

So, I'm looking for a decent gaming and general purpose monitor.

LCD just really isn't my thing. I sit relaxed in my seat and off center usually, so I'd probably get major problems with TN displays. But then, IPS is super-expensive and slow, maybe not good for games.

I've been looking at XBit's reviews for the Samsung XL2370 and it doesn't seem too bad (except for the white/black balance) compared to several other monitors. Then again, that 3D glasses capable Viewsonic is available on tigerdirect for around 226 dollars..

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: New monitor time!

The thing with TN panels is that color only starts distorting greatly when you view it from the bottom-up angle. It's normally pretty consistent and fine viewed at moderate angles from the sides and top.

As for the GTG response rate of IPS vs. TN panels, they are not that far apart (only by about 10-12 ms). Considering that, 99% of people out there cannot tell the difference in response times between a 2 ms GTG TN and a 16 ms GTG IPS panel LCD (and most of those response times are greatly exaggerated by the manufacturer). So then applied to games, you won't notice a response delay going from a TN to a IPS unless you happen to be that rare 1% of people.

With that said, the SyncMaster you linked to also uses a TN panel. Honestly, you won't find a cheap IPS for anything less than $450 a pop and that's usually if you can find one on sale (like at the Dell Outlet Store).

Some questions for ya:

What's your budget?
    What resolution do you want to game at?
    What's the minimum and maximum screen size?
    Do you have a preference for any particular brand names?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For the pointed questions:
      I'm looking for something 300 dollars or less. I'm still on unemployment, but i cashed a 1600 tax return just recently.

I've had a 5:4 CRT for about 10 years, an NEC Multisync. I normally have a desktop res of 1280x1024 or 1024x768 and game at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. (the SXGA scales well to 4:3, but not the other way around)

I don't know much about the screen sizes. Mine was a flat screen 19". My desk can probably handle something on the order of 24-25" wide.

No real brand loyalty. Just one with a decent warrenty and not-horrible quality control (so i don't end up with wierd tints and dead pixels)

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Another thing to consider is that you should buy a monitor that has a native resolution your computer can play at. LCD's sometimes do a very crappy job at scaling down from what they are natively set at. So if you go with a monitor that displays 1280*1024 natively, make sure your rig can handle the games you play at that resolution and so forth.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I've never played at higher than 1600x1200 so i can't comment on 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolutions. I have a BFGTech GTX 260 superclock but i've been a bit bottlenecked by my E8400 Wolfram dual core lately in arma 2. BC2 seems to mostly play good (except in zoomed view in an APC for some reason..)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
            I've never played at higher than 1600x1200 so i can't comment on 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolutions. I have a BFGTech GTX 260 superclock but i've been a bit bottlenecked by my E8400 Wolfram dual core lately in arma 2. BC2 seems to mostly play good (except in zoomed view in an APC for some reason..)
            Yep, the dual-core's a bit of a bottleneck. You could alleviate it some by OCing your E8400 or upgrade to a C2Q (like the Q9550).

Other than that, your GTX260 will more than handle a 1920 x 1200/1080 screen without much of any hiccups as long as you're not demanding maximum details and all the eye gore.

I recommend these TN panels if you're not looking to spend much:

ASUS 25.5" (1920 x 1200): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236047 << I and Vulcan have this and we both love it (it's big and melts our hearts)
            ASUS 23.6" (1920 x 1080): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236052 << Almost a 24". Some a bit larger than the typical 21.5" HD monitors out there, in case you think 21.5" is a bit too small.
            ASUS 21.5" (1920 x 1080): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236053 << Typical 21.5" and "Full HD" resolution.

All three have DVI inputs and the first two have HDMI inputs as well. As far as I've read online and personally, there are very few rare occurences where people have received monitors with dead pixels from any of the major brands, including ASUS.

There might be some cheaper displays out there, but I'm not exactly one to throw money at a display brand like Hanns-G or Spectre given their past performance and reliability.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X