An internal HDD for backups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An internal HDD for backups

So, right now i have a RAID 0 array running 2x500GB seagate platters.

all is well and effin fast. didn't have a problem with them.

YET.

and that's the point/reason why i want to get another 1TB internal HDD (internal because it's cheaper and because i already have an external HDD, just not big enough).

Now that HDD won't be used for anything but backups, so i figured one of these Green Eco friendly low-rpm HDD's will do the job, here's the one i had in mind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490

there was a sale on this last week, but i'm currently overseas so i can't get any packages. I bet that sale will come again sometime after august.

Well anyways, does that look good? Do you also agree that choosing another manufacturer for the backup HDD is a good idea? Will i be able to recreate my RAID0 array with this solution (if one of the seagates breaks?)

I just want to be sure, and i know TG has a lot of smart hardware boffins around (I'm looking at you Bamboo!!) :icon_razz

Life's too short to live it fast.

Re: An internal HDD for backups

Will i be able to recreate my RAID0 array with this solution (if one of the seagates breaks?)
    Your RAID array will only be as effective as the slowest component and heterogeneous RAID arrays are inherently inferior to homogeneous arrays. Will it really matter? Well, no, not unless you're doing a lot of read/write work on your computer all the time. It will be slower, just how much that matters to you depends on your needs (as a note, just going off of a Toms Hardware article I looked up, their arrangements showed a 20-25% difference in performance). I haven't personally made heterogeneous arrays but most controllers are pretty standardized among the major manufacturers, so you shouldn't (not saying won't) run into issues with that if you were to ever take that step. I wouldn't use that 1TB drive in the event of a failure as a permanent solution, just as a last option stop-gap so your computer can function if you're unable to repair it for an extended period of time.

If you're talking about data recovery with your "recreate" condition...that isn't Raid0's purpose. If a drive fails in Raid0, your data is gone.

Comment

what i meant by that is, if one seagate breaks, i buy another one, and then recreate the original condition.

you know, get the data from the WD back to the 2 seagates, that would be possible right?

Comment

Yes you should be able to back up your array and rebuild it with a replacement drive.

I actually just purchased that exact drive for media and general back up of my current drive.
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

What you're describing is, I believe, a Raid0+1 (always forget the exact designations) array. Yes, you should be able to do it with that equipment, depending on the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
            What you're describing is, I believe, a Raid0+1 (always forget the exact designations) array. Yes, you should be able to do it with that equipment, depending on the controller.
            hmm, Raid 01, looked it up on wikipedia.

honestly i didn't think of that yet, but i might consider it (If my Asus P6T can do it)

what thought was just having that thing as an extra HDD and using windows Backup once in a while...

Comment

You just missed the 2TB version of that drive yesterday on Newegg for $99.99. It was also that same price last week at Dell. That's when I picked one up. So if you want an even bigger drive for a few bucks more I would keep my eye out.

Comment

Originally posted by creepin View Post
                hmm, Raid 01, looked it up on wikipedia.

honestly i didn't think of that yet, but i might consider it (If my Asus P6T can do it)

what thought was just having that thing as an extra HDD and using windows Backup once in a while...
                Well, it just depends on how you want the backup to go.

Key files: Software backup such as provided by Windows (or some other dedicated-purpose program) would be sufficient. Heck, you can even set Windows (or the aforementioned program) to update the backup on a schedule. Drawbacks to this is that if you're doing something on the computer and it starts going working its backup duties, it's going to take system resources to do it.

System failure recovery: Automatic hardware mirroring is much more reliable and less likely to run into an issue of "Oh crap, my drive died...and I haven't backed up in 3 months!" Additionally, while it will still use resources to do what it does, it's not having to go through Windows to do it and the majority of the resources used are relegated to the hardware controller itself. That said, mirroring runs into the issue that everything you do is recorded, so user-based system ****-uppery isn't covered by the security policy.

Comment

Honestly given my troubles with Seagate drives recently, I'd trust the WD drives now. I've had my 500 GB external WD MyBook for 2 years and still going strong. I also have the WD15EARS internal (1.5 TB, Caviar Green) for just over two months now and haven't heard any clicking/click-of-death noises from the drive. Been super quiet and though it spins at 5,900 RPM, it's still a good 2-3x faster than my old primary 320GB 7200.11 Seagate HDD.

I also have the exact same HDD sitting in my HTPC in the living room. Quiet, fairly speedy, and runs cool (even after copying files back and forth for 3 hours straight).

Now a bit of a warning. If you're only going to purchase a HDD, don't get it through NewEgg. I'd advise getting it from ZipZoomFly for reasons below:

1. ZZF usually have rebate deals and discounts when NewEgg makes no mention of such (especially on hard drives)
                  2. NewEgg does a piss poor job of packaging their HDDs for shipping. So you may end up with a DOA drive and you start to worry when you see the bubble wrap (or crumpled/balled-up newspaper) surrounding the drive completely flattened and your HDD bouncing around in the box.
                  3. ZZF's delivery times are just as fast as NewEgg. Plus they do a over-the-top packaging job that protects your hard drive.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just a word of caution, I have a 1tb seagate as my second drive, it failed on me after 10 months or so, I was fortunate enough that is was just a firmware bug and seagate actually sent a courier to my house and shipped it to amsterdam for repair, it came back with all the data still on it, I think they replaced the board, the firmware on it was SD15, you will not be able to fix this yourself as the drive becomes "firmware locked" and needs to be sent to a lab for fixing, which is free if it is found to be faulty firmware.

Here is an article about it, it is old but still relevant, google will also throw up some more info on it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...date,6867.html

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                      Just a word of caution, I have a 1tb seagate as my second drive, it failed on me after 10 months or so, I was fortunate enough that is was just a firmware bug and seagate actually sent a courier to my house and shipped it to amsterdam for repair, it came back with all the data still on it, I think they replaced the board, the firmware on it was SD15, you will not be able to fix this yourself as the drive becomes "firmware locked" and needs to be sent to a lab for fixing, which is free if it is found to be faulty firmware.

Here is an article about it, it is old but still relevant, google will also throw up some more info on it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...date,6867.html
                      From what I can tell (researched thoroughly, my problems with the last few Seagate drives had nothing to do with the old firmware bugs. Seek/Read/Write slowed to a crawl (or stopped all togther) at random intervals. The drives became essentially unusable. That's another potential you could look forward to if you happen to buy a 7200.11 series Seagate nowadays. (The 7200.12s seem to be fine.)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Honestly given my troubles with Seagate drives recently, I'd trust the WD drives now.
                        Wait, how recently are you talking? My 4xSeagate drives haven't given me any issue and they're 3.5 years old at this point.

Comment

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lickdeals&ses=

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                            Wait, how recently are you talking? My 4xSeagate drives haven't given me any issue and they're 3.5 years old at this point.
                            Recent as in within the last 12-15 months. It seems all the others who have the problem I had all bought new drives within the same time frame as me.

Don't know what they changed in the 11 series, but the new ones seem to have this problem and my old one from 2-3 years ago is completely fine (as are yours).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by creepin View Post
                              idea? Will i be able to recreate my RAID0 array with this solution (if one of the seagates breaks?)

I just want to be sure, and i know TG has a lot of smart hardware boffins around (I'm looking at you Bamboo!!) :icon_razz
                              Well, no, not if you are ADDING the HD to your RAID 0 array. If you keep it seperate to your array, you should be able to do it. IE, if you don't build the array onto that HD and keep it as a seperate partition.

A RAID 0 array works by "striping" or "layering" data between HD's in easily readable chunks. Basically..

You take a file 1234.

On a normal HD, 1234 shows up in consecutive blocks. On a RAID 0:

HD1 HD2
                              12 34

Then, with one read operation, the computer is able to read the file 1234, instead of several as on a regular HD.

This is a reason RAID 0 has such a performance increase, but also why RAID 0 is such a risk, because no HD has all the data. In the above scenario, if HD 1 crashes or fails, HD2 only has 1/2 the file data, which is useless. The entire contents are lost.

You can add as many HDs as you like to a RAID 0, it will continue splitting up the data between them, but every HD will only have part of the data, not the whole thing.

Also, Ick, Bleck. 7200.11s. thats what my RAID 0 was on. worked great. for about 8 months. then HD1's spindle motor blew out and HD2 had a SMART reliability rating of 62% because of numerous high fly writes.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X