Thin vertical lines on the monitor...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin vertical lines on the monitor...

So during the last 2 weeks, 3 cyanide-coloured vertical lines appeared on my 21" Samsung 215TW monitor. I tried safe mode, changing resolutions and updated video drivers to the latest ones. They also appear on my netbook as well.

Is this caused by the monitor itself or maybe the cable that connects it to the video card?

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Thin vertical lines on the monitor...

Oh yeah, I remember you freaking out when it happened on Steam IM.

My guess would be dead pixels. I would send it in if you still have the warranty.

Comment

Image artifacts that appear on different displays points towards a dying video card. Yeah, it could be a damaged cable but unless you can see bent pins or punctured insulation, I wouldn't really blame a cable.

Side note: "Cyanide"-colored? I assume you mean cyan. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
        Image artifacts that appear on different displays points towards a dying video card. Yeah, it could be a damaged cable but unless you can see bent pins or punctured insulation, I wouldn't really blame a cable.

Side note: "Cyanide"-colored? I assume you mean cyan. :P
        Not sure the video card is dying...I mentioned I get the exact same display issues when I plug the cable into my netbook. The exact same lines appear as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
          Not sure the video card is dying...I mentioned I get the exact same display issues when I plug the cable into my netbook. The exact same lines appear as well.
          Probably dead pixels or perhaps the display controller in the monitor itself is having problems. I'd probably try and RMA the monitor if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, probably go out and get a new monitor.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah most likely I will have to get a new monitor soon. Probably not a Samsung this time...

Comment

Yeah most likely I will have to get a new monitor soon. Probably not a Samsung this time...
              Can't let one bad experience push you towards avoiding the brand all together. Besides, there are some nice Sammys out there...
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Can't let one bad experience push you towards avoiding the brand all together. Besides, there are some nice Sammys out there...
                I actually bought the same monitor back in 2007 for my old pc. Dead pixel line appeared 2 weeks later. I RMA'ed that monitor and the replacement Samsung works in my dad's office to this day. I just think if keep getting a same problem on the same Samsung line...I may start looking into different models/companies.

Comment

Well, I can tell you the AL2216W Acer monitor I am currently staring at has served me quite well these three years.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Oh. I misread what your problem is. You're talking about using the cable coming from the same monitor, receiving input from two different sources. Yeah, dead pixels or some other issue with the monitor.

I've been happy with my Samsung monitor, I wouldn't necessarily blame the entire brand.

Comment

I actually bought the same monitor back in 2007 for my old pc. Dead pixel line appeared 2 weeks later. I RMA'ed that monitor and the replacement Samsung works in my dad's office to this day. I just think if keep getting a same problem on the same Samsung line...I may start looking into different models/companies.
                      I just looked up your silver monitor. It can be viewed in landscape and portrait mode. You're gonna have to fork up a lot more if you want a monitor that'll do portrait mode nowadays. Just a heads up if you wanted something comparable to your 215TW.

I can also recommend Acer monitors as well as ASUS monitors. I've got 2 19" Acers in the back and my current 25.5" monitor is the ASUS VW266H.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X