Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good program for mounting virtual drives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good program for mounting virtual drives?

Well, I wanna mount some .iso file but I don't know which program to use. I was thinking of Daemon Tools Lite but people have been saying that it's spyware. What do you guys recommend? By the way...just WHAT is an .iso?! >_<

Re: What's a good program for mounting virtual drives?

Daemon Tools spyware? Hm, I've been using Lite for a long time now and never had any trouble. If you think the complaints are credible, you could try Alcohol 120%. I've never used it myself, but I've heard good things.

Comment

Daemon tools can be considered spyware since it likes to see where you've visited to suggest sites and other places for ISO's, dont worry about it. It's a good program.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

A bunch of AV packages have been mis-identifying Daemon Tools as anything from worm to rootkit to spyware. None of which has actually been shown to be true, though some classifications are *technically* not utter lies.

There's also Alcohol 52% and WinISO, but neither is free. If you just need to mount an ISO once, Alcohol 52% offers a 15-day trial.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

Personally I use Magic ISO its simple and free http://magiciso.com/
          |TG-73rd|Socomseal
          |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

I prefer Slysoft's Virtual Clone Drive (freeware) over DaemonTools or any other program that might offer a virtual drive emulator (like PowerISO <- extreme memory leak or even MagicISO's).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

so couldn't you use this to basically run pc games without the disk in the drive?
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I prefer Slysoft's Virtual Clone Drive (freeware) over DaemonTools or any other program that might offer a virtual drive emulator (like PowerISO <- extreme memory leak or even MagicISO's).
                I second this. Virtual Clone Drive runs discreetly in the background, seems to have almost no noticeable cpu or memory usage. Super duper easy to use too. It's definitely the most simple one I've ever used, and works great.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Ven, you could. It worked with 2142, for example. Note that most games have a CD-check built in as an anti-piracy "feature", so you have to find a cracked executable that disables that.

Of course with 2142, there was *nothing* the game actually read from disk -- it was purely to ease EA's mind about those nasty thieving hobbitses. You didn't need to mount an ISO.

For the record, I'm not advocating pirating games, but I had a malfunctioning CD drive, and got really fed up with EA telling me a game I bought in good faith was unplayable until I proved I didn't pirate it.
                  Last edited by Cheburash; 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

I use PowerIso myself, but for no particular reason.

|

Comment

Originally posted by warlab View Post
                      I use PowerIso myself, but for no particular reason.
                      Can't trust it for mounting images anymore. They still have not fixed their memory leak (after knowing about it for over 6+ years). Try mounting a large 3+ GB image sometime. More than likely, that whole image will reside in internal RAM and completely slow your system if it doesn't cause it to hang right after mounting.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                        so couldn't you use this to basically run pc games without the disk in the drive?
                        Yes, which saves unnecessary wear and tear on the disc drive for those that have a legal copy of the game but don't want to have to work their disc drive just to play it. It also lets you keep the disc safe in the case for future use. I used Daemon tools in the past but I haven't reinstalled since my last upgrade as all the games I currently play have either updated to a no-CD requirement through a patch or have online verification for regular play instead (BC2, BF2, WoW, steam games, etc).

For those concerned about piracy issues, most of those are going to include a no-CD modification since the player won't have a disc to start with.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X