Laptop to LCD TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop to LCD TV

My wife bought a 60" Sony LCD and HTIB for the showroom at her office. The question now is how to hook up her laptop so that the image goes to the screen and sound to the speakers?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Laptop to LCD TV

Well it all depends on what outputs the laptop has.

Ideally, an HDMI cable would be best as it is capable of carrying both the video and audio(if your video card is capable of transmitting audio). This requires an HDMI port on your laptop and an HDMI cable.

If you have a DVI output on your laptop then you can get an adapter that will allow you to go from a DVI cable coming from the laptop to the HDMI port on your TV. DVI doesn't have the ability to carry your audio, so you will have to run a cable that goes from your 3.5mm headphone jack on your laptop to your RCA audio in ports on your TV. This requires a DVI port on your laptop, DVI cable, female DVI to male HDMI adapter, and a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

If you have a S-Video output on your laptop then you can run an S-video cable from you laptop to the tv and the same audio cable as the DVI setup required. This requires a S-video output on your laptop, S-Video cable, and a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

And if by some far out chance your laptop does not have any of those ports than they make a variety of usb video adapters that allow you to plug into a usb port on your laptop and it can provide you with RCA, S-Video, DVI, or HDMI ports depending on what adapter you get. Example

Comment

Or a VGA output on computer and VGA input on TV. My laptop (compaq) also has a <Fn> F4 command that sends the video to the output.

Comment

I originally posted the question from my phone so I didn't include all of the details that I should have. Her laptop is about 4 years old and doesn't have DVI, HDMI or S-video outputs. She's currently good-to-go with the video using VGA to VGA as Global.Cooling suggested, but the audio was jury rigged with a combination of cords from the laptop's headphone jack to an input on the blu-ray player. It appears that is still the best solution, but with a single long cord.

Thanks for the suggestions!
        |TG|Melee
        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse