PC fried?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC fried?

Okay so I got home from vacation to find my blu-ray player, 2 lcd tvs and desktop fried. I believe it came through the cable (oh yeah cable modem is not working)

When I press the power button on the PC I can hear the power supply startup for a few seconds, then it restarts, over and over again. I assume the MB is toast. What can I do to check it and to check the other components? I don't have a spare PC which has compatible slots for video or RAM (It's an older Dell)

Here are the spec for the PC in question:

ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80580Q9300

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8004GK

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D3S-08

Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-215DBK - OEM

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Thanks in advance!

Re: PC fried?

Try popping out your RAM and putting it back in. Hopefully it's just a RAM glitch.

If that doesn't work, I'd probably swap out the PSU for another that you know works.

Something to keep in mind:

When you decide on another break/getaway, flip the PSU switch to off and unplug your computer before you leave the house for your trip. That way if any surge goes through your home's electrical system, it won't go straight through your PC as well. Might also be advisable to plug the rest of your electronics into a power strip. That way, you can flip the power strip off and plug it out from the outlet when you go on trips.

At least that's what I do when I know I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Exact same thing happened to mine a little while back. The PSU was toast. I replaced it and it fixed everything. I would try that.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

This happened to a friend of mine, a lightning bolt struck a tree close to his house, and fried 2 TV's and his computer. He said that the PSU to the brunt of the surge, so the rest was salvageable. Swap the PSU out, if that doesn't help, then the motherboard is probably fried, just hope the rest of the parts didn't go with it.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

As Acero said, try a fresh PSU you know works. A lot of current PSUs tend to support some level of surge resistance so that they'll burn out before the computer itself receives too much damage (though a surge on the magnitude of a direct lightning strike will pretty much total anything in its path unless you're lucky).

For future reference:
          Many modern surge protectors have ports for ethernet and coaxial cable. They're there for a reason and won't cause a noticeable defect in performance. (Though be careful, surge protector insurance coverage may not cover damage through those particular ports, depending on how reputable a manufacturer you're buying from.) But as stated above, the best security is simply to remove the sensitive equipment from the potential danger when you're away and it's a good habit to get into.

Comment

If it keeps restarting it sounds like a short somewhere could be the issue.

The paper clip trick is a much cheaper solution to find out if your PSU is indeed burnt out instead of going out and purchasing or dragging out another one (Because I know I don't have spare PSU's laying around)

Also, try booting up with just 1 memory stick, and try each one.

Check all of your connections, and check to make sure your motherboard is still properly seated and secure.

A PSU spinning up and down constantly makes me think there's a short somewhere.

Comment

Well here is what I have done to diagnosis it so far (in order):
              Reset RAM: No
              Removed Video Card: No
              Removed 1 Stick RAM: No
              Switched PSU: No (It did the start up, shutdown, restart thing too)

Here is the motherboard I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131295
              Here is the one I was thinking about replacing it with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128447

Is this an okay swap? Also, what will it take to get the PC back up and running once I replace the MB? Will there be any OS malfunctions? I'm running Vista64.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Before you buy a new MOBO, reset your BIOS for your current one. I remember awhile back my bios had somehow set themselves up in a quad core config when I only have a dual core (thats what you get when you spill beer on your keyboard.) It caused my PC to boot up and shutdown/restart until I saw that that the mobo load screen displayed the quadcore set up image thingy.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
                  Well here is what I have done to diagnosis it so far (in order):
                  Reset RAM: No
                  Removed Video Card: No
                  Removed 1 Stick RAM: No
                  Switched PSU: No (It did the start up, shutdown, restart thing too)

Here is the motherboard I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131295
                  Here is the one I was thinking about replacing it with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128447

Is this an okay swap? Also, what will it take to get the PC back up and running once I replace the MB? Will there be any OS malfunctions? I'm running Vista64.

Thanks for the help so far!
                  Why not go with the ASUS P5Q SE? If you change up to the Gigabyte, you're gonna have to reinstall Windows and everything because of the chipset change.

Here's the P5Q SE Plus @ Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7&Tpk=p5q%20se

SE = Second Edition; Plus adds some extra little features in BIOS from what I remember.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Why not go with the ASUS P5Q SE? If you change up to the Gigabyte, you're gonna have to reinstall Windows and everything because of the chipset change.
                    Is that something specific to Vista? I just ripped out most of my computer's guts, and aside from the motherboard drivers have not needed to make any changes to my OS (Win7 64 bit).

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                    --BlackMirror
                    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                      Is that something specific to Vista? I just ripped out most of my computer's guts, and aside from the motherboard drivers have not needed to make any changes to my OS (Win7 64 bit).
                      No, it's not specific to any OS. When you change a major board like the motherboard, usually a chipset change would require you to reinstall everything as the drivers you installed for your last motherboard would not work for the new one.

However, with that said, sometimes it's not needed if it's the same chipset or if the new chipset is a derivative of the previous board's chipset. In your case, the P43 is a slightly hampered version of the P45 chipset. Since they are in the same family, I'd assume there's a single driver set that covers the entire P4x family of chipsets.

So you may not need to reinstall everything for the new Gigabyte board, but don't quote me as Intel might still pack a separate driver for each subset chipset (P43, G41, etc).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

However, with that said, sometimes it's not needed if it's the same chipset or if the new chipset is a derivative of the previous board's chipset. In your case, the P43 is a slightly hampered version of the P45 chipset. Since they are in the same family, I'd assume there's a single driver set that covers the entire P4x family of chipsets.
                        You're thinking of Global.Cooling. I went from an Intel P35 to an AMD 870.

--BlackMirror
                        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                        --Blackraven93

Comment

Here's the P5Q SE Plus @ Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7&Tpk=p5q%20se

SE = Second Edition; Plus adds some extra little features in BIOS from what I remember.
                          Thanks, I didn't see that. The only problem I see is my ram is DDR2 800. The SE board says DDR2 1200(O.C)/1066.

Comment

That's just sloppy data entry on NE's part. The full specs from Asus list DDR2 800 as compatible. NewEgg just listed the maximum the board will support, omitting everything else.

--BlackMirror
                            --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                              Before you buy a new MOBO, reset your BIOS for your current one.
                              I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work I'll order the new MOBO (Thanks Cheburash for the specs).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X