Uh oh... Computer broke. Need help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh... Computer broke. Need help.

So does anyone remember my new computer i made?

Well theres a problem, IT SUCKS!

(HSF)Ultra Heatpipe
    (PSU)MGE 500-Watt ATX
    (MoBo)Chaintech S1689 ATX 2000Mhz FSB
    (CPU)AMD64 3200+ skt 939 2000Mhz FSB at 2.0Ghz
    (Case)MGE Black-Viper ATX Case With LCD Temp Display
    (GPU)GeForce 6800 (AGP8X) Couldnt afford the extra for PCI-e
    (RAM)Geil UltraFast Low Lat Dual Channel (2x512) PC3200 DDR400
    (ROM)52x CD-ROM Drive[Int] Dual-Layer DVD Burner[Ext] Black Floppy[Int]
    (FANS)7 80mm Fans(One Front[In];One Side[In];Two CPU[Flow];Two PSU[Flow/Out];One uninstalled)| 1 120mm Exaust

Playing BF2 lags on low settings, and its not the internet connection, i lag even on single player. It Freezes (Still; Though not as often), restarts for no aparnt reason, idels at 45*C and with a load hits 60+*C. How it gets so hot ill never know.

Ive tryed contacting the Mobo tech suport, but they didnt really help me because it still sucks. The processer was OEM and has no tech support besides the forums.

What ive done to make things work better:

Removed hardware that make it freeze, Re-installed 8 or 9 times the HSF, took off the some of the fans(Only to have my computer warn me of overheating), and many other things.

Can anyone apoint me to something that may help me? I need a godsend. My dad once again is once again travling and working in i think washington.

I think the motherboard is the problem, but im not sure, i dont have anything that will allow me to test it, and i dont want to, i want a different motherboard (Chaintech Sucks).

When my dad returns, in a few days hopefully, we'll take a look at it, try to get it to work(I gave up), if nothing we'll talk about my options with what ive got now.
    Oyee

Re: Uh oh... Computer broke. Need help.

First thing to check is the memory. I recommend memtest86. You can google it. It will help you make a bootable disk, that will scan your memory bars for errors.

I had a memory problem when I first put my comp together. Sent the memory for a replacement, tested the new ones with memtest. New ones showed no errors. System was then stable.

Hope this helps

ABPositive

Comment

In my experience this is just an overheating problem. Random restarts... lag... freeze... Too hot and CPU is suffering. Your whole system looks really good. Nearly identical to mine. I went with the MSI K8T Neo 2 series mobo but I have a Chaintech in another comp and it works fine.
      The heatsink I use is a BEAST. Thermaltake 120.

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=254

Perhaps this is the answer... only my opinion.
      Meat Drapes
      -[OIJ]-
      Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

It sounds like a heat issue to me as well. (Although testing the memory won't hurt especially since Memtest86 is free.)

Originally posted by Black_V!per
        Re-installed 8 or 9 times the HSF
        Careful that you don't crack your CPU there. Was there thermal paste on it? Did you clean it off and replace it? If there was a thermal pad (glued on instead of just paste) then you'll have to scrape it off the CPU and heatsink then clean both with high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone first.

Comment

This actually sounds like a power supply issue more than a heat issue. 60C is much hotter than it should be running with your setup, but AMD runs extremely hot anyway. My guess is that your 500W doesn't have enough 12V power. That generic 500W might really be only as good as a quality 300-350W, which might not be enough power for your needs.

The only two times I've had PC's randomly restart on me, when the temp set off the bios' heat alert shut downs, and when the PSU was crapping out on me.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I have a 3200 939, and I use the stock heatsink/fan, and I idle at 31 and never get past 40.

Are you sure the HS/Fan is working?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

heh... ONLY 60C? Mine idles at friggin 63-64C... Mine is hooooooot. It sometimes makes me lag. Try this: Get an external fan (just a small cheap one like this: http://www.irc-junkie.net/buzz/20%20electric%20fan.jpg ) and take the cover off and turn the fan on high pointing near your CPU. I do that, and it reduces the temp of my CPU a ton. Try this and see if it helps your overheating issues and see if you still lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                This actually sounds like a power supply issue more than a heat issue. 60C is much hotter than it should be running with your setup, but AMD runs extremely hot anyway. My guess is that your 500W doesn't have enough 12V power. That generic 500W might really be only as good as a quality 300-350W, which might not be enough power for your needs.

The only two times I've had PC's randomly restart on me, when the temp set off the bios' heat alert shut downs, and when the PSU was crapping out on me.
                I'm thinking the same thing... MGE isn't known for their quality...

Read here for some basics on choosing a PSU: http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=101151
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My processer isnt retail, so it didnt come with a stock HSF. But im going to go over some options with my dad when he returns tonight(Ill let him sleep ill ask tomorrow)

Its not the RAM, maybe the DIMM, but i had some Corsair Value RAM and it checked out great with Memtest86, and so did this RAM. Why i returned it ill never know.

It wont boot into Windows, it freezes before it finishes loading. But sometimes it will load, but ill have a black screen with just the mouse. It'll sit there untill i restart it. And when i was able to restart it, a few days ago now, id go to load Everest Home Edition, and the System would lock up when it says "Scaning PCI Devices" I dont have any PCI devices at the moment.

Options as i see them:
                  -Sell my HSF and try to get a better one(Im looking into the Zelman? 7700c or XP-90c)
                  -Return My motherboard and get a different/new one.(Return to Tigerdirect.com will give me about 70 bucks to play with, plus the 70 i returned for my other RAM plus i just got 100 bucks, meaning one badayas mobo).
                  -Try to return my whole PC, go back to my old dell, and but parts for my truck with the money i get back(Not really an option, just thought id say i got a new truck!)
                  -Look into a new PowerSupply, but i dont see how a this one isnt good enough.(Id like to see if theres a way to test it first).
                  -Try to send back CPU(But i dont wanna), HSF(I dont mind, it sucks), Mobo, and get Intel, because i know Intel, and i like Intel.
                  Oyee

Comment

Did you try updating your BIOS?

Whatever you do, it has to be systematic to narrow down your hardware failure.

I would remove all hardware except videocard,1 HD, and 1 CD/DVD drive. Try using an old video card that you know works well for your testing. Reset the BIOS to default settings. Install a fresh copy of winXP. Run all kinds of benchmarks and burn in tools to test the stability. Install BF2, play it for a while. If everything is go, try the new videocard and test again. Slowly add devices until your run into a failure.

If you run into problems with the minimal hardware, i say blame the motherboard.(unless it is actually overheating)
                    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
                      Did you try updating your BIOS?

Whatever you do, it has to be systematic to narrow down your hardware failure.

I would remove all hardware except videocard,1 HD, and 1 CD/DVD drive. Try using an old video card that you know works well for your testing. Reset the BIOS to default settings. Install a fresh copy of winXP. Run all kinds of benchmarks and burn in tools to test the stability. Install BF2, play it for a while. If everything is go, try the new videocard and test again. Slowly add devices until your run into a failure.

If you run into problems with the minimal hardware, i say blame the motherboard.(unless it is actually overheating)
                      Uh i already did all that(Incuding Bios), started with my old Geforce MX 400, then did what you said, then when to my FX-5500, redid everything, then i just got my 6800, which worked okay, untill the computer restarted for no reason, and now it wont work at all. I was playing BF2 after getting everthing back in and working again, when it restarted. I hope its not overheating, but i dont think it could. Or at least it shouldnt, ive got a pretty nice amout of Fans, and a pretty good HSF(I might get a better one, XP-90c or Zelman 7700c).
                      Oyee

Comment

My processer isnt retail, so it didnt come with a stock HSF. But im going to go over some options with my dad when he returns tonight(Ill let him sleep ill ask tomorrow)

Its not the RAM, maybe the DIMM, but i had some Corsair Value RAM and it checked out great with Memtest86, and so did this RAM. Why i returned it ill never know.

It wont boot into Windows, it freezes before it finishes loading. But sometimes it will load, but ill have a black screen with just the mouse. It'll sit there untill i restart it. And when i was able to restart it, a few days ago now, id go to load Everest Home Edition, and the System would lock up when it says "Scaning PCI Devices" I dont have any PCI devices at the moment.

Options as i see them:
                        -Sell my HSF and try to get a better one(Im looking into the Zelman? 7700c or XP-90c)
                        -Return My motherboard and get a different/new one.(Return to Tigerdirect.com will give me about 70 bucks to play with, plus the 70 i returned for my other RAM plus i just got 100 bucks, meaning one badayas mobo).
                        -Try to return my whole PC, go back to my old dell, and but parts for my truck with the money i get back(Not really an option, just thought id say i got a new truck!)
                        -Look into a new PowerSupply, but i dont see how a this one isnt good enough.(Id like to see if theres a way to test it first).
                        -Try to send back CPU(But i dont wanna), HSF(I dont mind, it sucks), Mobo, and get Intel, because i know Intel, and i like Intel.
                        See if you can load Bart PE on it and use the chkdisk utility. Bart PE = Windows XP on a normal CD, but it loads entirly from CD so hard-drives can be blank when you load it.
                        more info: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Comment

Instead of making a new thread ill ask here.

Ive got a AMD 64 3200+ Skt 939 CPU with 2000Mhz FSB (1000Mhz HT)
                          Dual Channel Low Lat DDR400 RAM
                          GeForce 6800 AGP8X
                          /SoundBlaser Live!
                          /Chaintech 7.1 Sound card

What i want to know is, what Mobo listed is best?
                          This is what ive got now
                          Option 1
                          Option 2
                          Option 3*
                          Option 4

I like option 4 the most, but im not sure if Dual Channel is supported.
                          Option 3 is a little bit pricy, but im sure i can get my dad to help me with that.

What one do you guys like?
                          Oyee

Comment

Check some of the established review sites for specific mobo information. Tomshardware usually has some really nice stuff. Otherwise I can only recommend by brand. I've had good luck with the Asus line mobo's, and my neighbor swears by MSI.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Instead of making a new thread ill ask here.

Ive got a AMD 64 3200+ Skt 939 CPU with 2000Mhz FSB (1000Mhz HT)
                              Dual Channel Low Lat DDR400 RAM
                              GeForce 6800 AGP8X
                              /SoundBlaser Live!
                              /Chaintech 7.1 Sound card

What i want to know is, what Mobo listed is best?
                              This is what ive got now
                              Option 1
                              Option 2
                              Option 3*
                              Option 4

I like option 4 the most, but im not sure if Dual Channel is supported.
                              Option 3 is a little bit pricy, but im sure i can get my dad to help me with that.

What one do you guys like?
                              Why do you like #4 the most? Price? Jetway is super generic. I strongly suggest against that one.

You have to remember that the MB connects EVERYTHING... you cant skimp on this part. Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus are all good brands... but that doesnt mean those models arent lemons.

Based on the fact that the gigabyte (#1) uses the nForce3 chipset I would choose that.
                              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X