Gaming Laptop Advice Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Laptop Advice Required

For the past four years (ish) I have been struggling with a perpetually broken HP laptop as my sole computer/gaming machine. I was able to manage decently for the first three years because despite the constant problems it was still covered by my warranty, but now, nearing the end of the fourth year the machine is dead (fried motherboard methinks), and I am on the search for a new gaming machine. I've done a bit of research, and know for sure I don't want either HP or Dell as in my experience they both have pitiful customer service, but beyond that I am rather open. I do want a gaming machine, I can use a pen and paper or a netbook or something for classes, so size is no real concern, this will spend most of it's life sitting on my desk, or being moved around (really carefully) my house. I would like it to last at least until I am out of school as my only serious computer, so though it doesn't have to be future proof, I do want to play games for the next few years just sliding the graphics down a bit each time.

I have been looking pretty seriously at the Qosmio X505-Q890, and I guess that is what I would get if I had the money right now, but given that I have a week or two I thought I might ask you all first. I don't have any definite price range, but I liked the 2200 shipped and warrantied for the next four years from Toshiba, so lets say under 2500? I've looked at some of the "boutique" manufacturers (like Origin), but I have yet to see a setup where I could get the same kind of performance for the price (to build approximately the same machine from origin would have been around 3-3500). Any advice you all could offer would be greatly appreciated, my experiences with my last laptop were disastrous, so I would like to make sure I make a good choice from the beginning this time. :)

Re: Gaming Laptop Advice Required

My Asus G51J is treating me quite well, and it is not to expensive either.

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

If you haven't considered it, your budget would allow you to build a killer desktop and ALSO buy a cheaper laptop. Much better gaming performance and durability on the desktop and you retain the mobile computing with the laptop. Of course if you found yourself gaming in different locations with the laptop the 2 machine option becomes less attractive.

If you do end up going with the gaming laptop and you don't have an additional cooler pad for it, I would look into that to keep it from burning up.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
        If you haven't considered it, your budget would allow you to build a killer desktop and ALSO buy a cheaper laptop. Much better gaming performance and durability on the desktop and you retain the mobile computing with the laptop. Of course if you found yourself gaming in different locations with the laptop the 2 machine option becomes less attractive.

If you do end up going with the gaming laptop and you don't have an additional cooler pad for it, I would look into that to keep it from burning up.
        I have considered building a desktop and having a separate, lower end laptop, but from my musings it wouldn't quite fit my needs. You nailed issue of 2 machines on the head, the basic problem is that I spend most of my time in an apartment where I don't actually have the room to setup a desktop, beyond that I move around enough that a gaming laptop would be more appropriate.

I will definately be getting a cooler pad to go with it, but I have had some trouble in the past finding options that fit the 17-18-18.4" laptops. Any advice on that subject would be appreciated as well.

Comment

I agree with MacLeod on this one, I just ordered an ASUS G51JX-X1 from NewEgg (Intel i7 720QM, 15.6" (1080) LCD, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M). Spec wise it is one of the best I've found for the price after almost a month of reading reviews and looking at various benchmarks.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
            For the past four years (ish) I have been struggling with a perpetually broken HP laptop as my sole computer/gaming machine. I was able to manage decently for the first three years because despite the constant problems it was still covered by my warranty, but now, nearing the end of the fourth year the machine is dead (fried motherboard methinks), and I am on the search for a new gaming machine. I've done a bit of research, and know for sure I don't want either HP or Dell as in my experience they both have pitiful customer service, but beyond that I am rather open. I do want a gaming machine, I can use a pen and paper or a netbook or something for classes, so size is no real concern, this will spend most of it's life sitting on my desk, or being moved around (really carefully) my house. I would like it to last at least until I am out of school as my only serious computer, so though it doesn't have to be future proof, I do want to play games for the next few years just sliding the graphics down a bit each time.

I have been looking pretty seriously at the Qosmio X505-Q890, and I guess that is what I would get if I had the money right now, but given that I have a week or two I thought I might ask you all first. I don't have any definite price range, but I liked the 2200 shipped and warrantied for the next four years from Toshiba, so lets say under 2500? I've looked at some of the "boutique" manufacturers (like Origin), but I have yet to see a setup where I could get the same kind of performance for the price (to build approximately the same machine from origin would have been around 3-3500). Any advice you all could offer would be greatly appreciated, my experiences with my last laptop were disastrous, so I would like to make sure I make a good choice from the beginning this time. :)
            DUDE!!!! Better yet, get an Asus G73-Jh. If you want all of the features, get the A1 model. I am going to get one soon. In fact, you get an i7- 720QM and 8Gb DDR3 ram, 2x 500 GB HDD, ATI 5870 1GB GDDR5, and it has 2 fans that run this 17.3 inch at very low temps.

I just finished up posting threads concerning laptops and made my choice not long ago.

I really suggest you look into the G73-Jh if a 17 inch is ok with you, but if you want a 15 inch, then the G51 is better. Warning though, not all G51 model laptops are the same. Some have Nvidia 260s, some 360s, and probably there will have a 460 too... Remember though ATI's mobile cards run closer to desktops...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

So, you've all just about sold me on the G73-JH, but I still have a few reservations. Primarily, I find the Asus warranty a bit disheartening, it's significantly shorter than the Toshiba one, and even with the "extended warranty" the accidental damage part is rather limited. Beyond that I am a bit disappointed by the configuration of drives (I was really jiving on the SSD for the OS and programs that the Qosmio had), and the lack of Bluray. I assume I could handle the drives either by myself, or at a tech shop, but only in a totally warranty voiding manner? Lastly I would like USB 3.0, but that seems only available in a few less intensive laptops so it's not really a major issue.

I figure the savings over the Toshiba would probably actually make up for the warranty, since I can use the extra to buy a "commuter laptop" of sorts, something to take to class, take notes on, and browse the web with. With that in mind, a bit of advice on a small laptop, or netbook, or tablet would be great. Also, as was mentioned before, I've had no real luck finding 17" cooling pads, so if you have any positive experiences in that regard I would appreciate any input you may have.

Comment

Adi, this one here is the laptop you want. It's currently out of stock but i wouldn't expect that to last to long. It says august 16th for restock.

- -

Comment

You could make something like this for your laptop cooler.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...op-cooler.html
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                    Adi, this one here is the laptop you want. It's currently out of stock but i wouldn't expect that to last to long. It says august 16th for restock.

Thanks for the link Vulcan. I've looked at the A3 a bit, but from what I can tell the only difference is the Bluray, and that raises the price by 250. For that much I might just as well go out and get a nice player to hookup to my TV. It's not actually like I have a collection of Bluray discs to watch (actually I don't own a one), so I could also just wait out the warranty and install one then.

I like the cooler namebot, I may well build one like that (I think I have most of the supplies sitting around anyway). Any advice though on a slightly more portable option though? I've seen some really cool DiY stationary ones, but not all that much that could be picked up and shoved in a bag with the laptop.

Comment

I can't edit anymore, soo.

I was searching around and I stumbled on xoticpc.com. I hadn't heard of them before, but after a bit of searching they seemed quite reliable. The really interesting thing I found was that they have the A1 and the A2 both listed (and customizable), the A1 listed starting with Bluray for 1645. The A2 starts at 1549 with no Bluray, it would be 1672 with the same bluray as the A1. Is there an actual technical difference in the models? My understanding was that the A1 was normally the base system, the A2 added in some extras, and the A3 had Bluray, but Xoticpc seems to disagree with me.

Given that xoticpc has customization options (in the not voiding of the warranty sense), what would you recommend assuming I started with what they call the A1 http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-...wconfigure=yes ? I was thinking probably swapping the HDDs for either 160GB Intel G2 X25-M Solid State Drive ( + 455 ) or 256GB Crucial C300 Solid State Drive (SSD Serial-ATA III) ( + 649 ) and a 1,000GB (1TB) 5200RPM (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) ( + 169 ). I would also probably throw in their upgraded wireless card -Intel® Advanced-N 6200 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module ( + 35 ), but that was about it. That would bring the total after rebate to 2282.20, which is a bit steep, but seemed pretty reasonable given that it would likely last well into the future. I assume their 75$ thermal compound is mostly sales talk, and most of the other upgrades get really expensive (specifically the processor, I've never had trouble with 4g of memory, so I don't think 8 will pose an issue). Does that sound reasonable? Are the SSD options good? or would it be better to wait out cheaper ones in the future?

Comment

Here is a website with a whole bunch of info on the G73jh, AND it explains the difference between the X1/2/3 and A1/2/3.
                        http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...tup-guide.html

I just bought myself a G73JH-X3 from TigerDirect. It has a slightly smaller HD, no BluRay, and no backpack or mouse. But it's only $1500. I'm on vacation right now, but I'm getting home tomorrow and I'm gonna open the package as soon as I get through the door.

Comment

I just bought a G73-jh and it was an A1 model from Xoticpc. I did not keep it stock. The biggest things I chose to upgrade were the OS and the wireless. I got some backup software, some external drives, an extra power cord, and some other goodies. I like how you get a razor mouse and a backpack that can hold the batmobile.

Ya, it is kind of expensive, but it's final cost was $2142 and 59 cents. I did not catch that until afterwards.

Looking at the machine, I am not shocked that they can stick an i7 extreme and 16 Gb of DDR3 ram into the laptop. The only gripe I know I have with it is the fact that if I am insane enough to try to replace ram in that thing, I will need to lift the keyboard in order to get to the 4th ram slot.

By the way, this is a page to look at it:
                          http://rog.asus.com/Product.aspx?PId=32
                          Last edited by BeSiege82; 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I completely agree with Namebot's first post about being able to buy an awesome desktop and a cheaper laptop for the same budget. Man, I'm looking at these prices you have to pay for a gaming laptop and I cringe because I know how much machine you can get for that money if you build your own desktop. You sound like you are 100% set on going with a laptop, but I'm still going to toss my opinion out there for whatever it's worth (2 cents) because hey, it's the internet.

To me, the "gaming laptop" is such a weird creature. Laptops are supposed to be portable. I don't think I would ever want to carry a 17" laptop with me on the go. They're heavy, unwieldy and not to mention really expensive which means the thought of damaging it while out and about is truly scary. Even the fastest gaming laptops are still rather underpowered compared to the corresponding desktop class. For even half your budget, you could build a gaming oriented desktop that could still easily outpace the gaming laptop you're looking at.

If space is the only real obstacle, then my question to you is: have you considered Micro ATX or even Mini ITX desktop form factors? Micro ATX computers are generally the size of either half-size towers or bulky stereo equipment. Mini ITX computers can be the size of a shoe box. You can actually put together some impressive Mini ITX builds: My friend recently threw together a system built around a Core i5 750 processor and a full size GeForce GTX 460 in a Silverstone SG07 case.

Anyways, good luck with your purchase!
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I completely get the point, value for the money wise it's not the right thing, but I need the semblance of portability that it provides. Its not what I will take to classes, but I can bring it around my apartment or to a friends or off on vacation without too much trouble.

I think I've about decided on the specs, which I'll postup tomorrow. They will match the staring price down to 1619 (iirc),and in the end it comes out to like 2200 with all the goodies.

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                              I completely agree with Namebot's first post about being able to buy an awesome desktop and a cheaper laptop for the same budget. Man, I'm looking at these prices you have to pay for a gaming laptop and I cringe because I know how much machine you can get for that money if you build your own desktop. You sound like you are 100% set on going with a laptop, but I'm still going to toss my opinion out there for whatever it's worth (2 cents) because hey, it's the internet.

To me, the "gaming laptop" is such a weird creature. Laptops are supposed to be portable. I don't think I would ever want to carry a 17" laptop with me on the go. They're heavy, unwieldy and not to mention really expensive which means the thought of damaging it while out and about is truly scary. Even the fastest gaming laptops are still rather underpowered compared to the corresponding desktop class. For even half your budget, you could build a gaming oriented desktop that could still easily outpace the gaming laptop you're looking at.

If space is the only real obstacle, then my question to you is: have you considered Micro ATX or even Mini ITX desktop form factors? Micro ATX computers are generally the size of either half-size towers or bulky stereo equipment. Mini ITX computers can be the size of a shoe box. You can actually put together some impressive Mini ITX builds: My friend recently threw together a system built around a Core i5 750 processor and a full size GeForce GTX 460 in a Silverstone SG07 case.

Anyways, good luck with your purchase!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X