Need a portable Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a portable Hard Drive

Ok, I need a portable hard drive for my laptop. I really like the WD passports because they have no external power requirements, but they are limited on size.

Here is what I am looking for:
    1.5tb+ storage
    No external power cord
    USB2 is fine, but eSATA is better
    The smaller the better, the MyBooks and the like are huge
    Speed is not issue, used for set storage versus copying.

If you guys have any experience or ideas, I really appreciate the help.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Need a portable Hard Drive

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
    Ok, I need a portable hard drive for my laptop. I really like the WD passports because they have no external power requirements, but they are limited on size.

Here is what I am looking for:
    1.5tb+ storage
    No external power cord
    USB2 is fine, but eSATA is better
    The smaller the better, the MyBooks and the like are huge
    Speed is not issue, used for set storage versus copying.

If you guys have any experience or ideas, I really appreciate the help.
    Not possible. The 2.5" HDDs only go up to 1 GB right now. The 3.5"s draw too much power for it to be USB2 powered. So you will need a separate power adapter.

At 1.5 TBs, your only choice really is a MyBook, FreeAgent, etc. eSATA will cost you extra. Otherwise, probably look into getting your own enclosure and a internal 3.5" 1.5 TB drive. Either way, you're gonna need a external power cable.

Otherwise, here's a 1 TB 2.5" WD Passport SE that's USB powered ($129): http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B002OB49SM
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, going over 1TB seems to be the issue. I have several MyBooks and they are huge... I can roll with a 1TB if I have to but, the external power is not a good option for me.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

What i did was i bought 6 of the same type of external SATA enclosures. As the years went by i just upgraded the disks inside of them, and i'm doing that still. And if you buy the same type of enclosure you can use all those six power supplies wherever, like two stationary and one portable, that solved it for me. So do that long term planning and you should be covered for years!!! And 3.5" disks are cheap, but offcourse size might be an issue for you. If so i would go with small 2.5" USB2/SATA enclosures and do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
          Yeah, going over 1TB seems to be the issue. I have several MyBooks and they are huge... I can roll with a 1TB if I have to but, the external power is not a good option for me.
          Then buy two of the 1 TB 2.5" Passports. Then you'd have the "2 TB" worth (techincally about 1.72 GBs).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had 250GB WD Passport Essential range. It was always transported with care.
            One day the PC failed to recognize the Passport and lost all my work.

Just something to note before committing...figured you'd need to hear some negatives before being drowned in the positive reviews or suggestions.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

the cases on the WD are great. I cracked the two 250's I got almost 3 years ago and put them in my laptop, then took the 160 's out of my laptop to fill the enclosures. still have both enclosures. upgraded one of the 160's to a 500... great little drives.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X