Android 2.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 2.2

So how is this different? I'm seeing dots at bottom left/right of the screen for navigating to adjacent virtual desktops, and a different icon to pop up the app menu. What am I missing?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Android 2.2

Here are the basics from the Developers http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html but I think the main thing is the JIT engine makes the phone a bit quicker...
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Think of Android 1.6 as Windows XP, now think of Android 2.2 as Windows 7. It has been optimized, new features added and so on.

Comment

Call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to get my phone on completely silent (no vibrate). I'll need this for when school starts. Anyone know how to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
          Call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to get my phone on completely silent (no vibrate). I'll need this for when school starts. Anyone know how to do this?
          Go to settings then sound and display. There should be a phone vibrate option.
          We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

Do what retro says, but you'll have to make a choice between silent and vibrate. There is no way to get the rocker from [audible]-[vibrate]-[silent], just [audible]-[silent] or [audible]-[vibrate].
            Its pretty annoying to say the least.

Comment

Uh, it entirely depends on what phone you have anospa. I can put mine on completely silent, vibrate or any increment up to full volume with my volume rocker, could on my G1 and N1 beofre the vibrant too. But my recommendation isnt to use the volume rocker anyway. Get extended controls or beautiful widgets and use one of them to set up an airplane mode widget on your desktop. saves battery, especially in a school-type scenario where you know you're going to be out of service for most of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                Uh, it entirely depends on what phone you have anospa. I can put mine on completely silent, vibrate or any increment up to full volume with my volume rocker, could on my G1 and N1 beofre the vibrant too. But my recommendation isnt to use the volume rocker anyway. Get extended controls or beautiful widgets and use one of them to set up an airplane mode widget on your desktop. saves battery, especially in a school-type scenario where you know you're going to be out of service for most of the day.
                I was under the impression it was how things were across the board (or for most phones at least) for 2.2; that's the way I've been hearing it at any rate. I'd rather not have to pay for a set of widgets to do something my phone was previously capable of doing.

As for school, setting it to airplane mode is a definite way to take care of it. One-click widgets were good for when I was still in class; widgets look decent enough and they worked.

Comment

Ferris' idea is good, I do that in work, as any alarms or reminders you set will still be audible in aeroplane mode. I use the audiomanager widget, it's free (ad driven) and you can control all the vibrate and volume levels from one screen.

On my Hero the rocker switch is still active in some applications even when the screen is in standby so be careful on some phones to make sure no apps are left open. An app killer is good for this.
                  We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

The release notes say that there's been work done to make Android work better with Exchange. Is anyone using their Droid with Exchange? My brother is still using a Blackberry because he believes it integrates better with Exchange than Android does. Is this still true?
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      The release notes say that there's been work done to make Android work better with Exchange. Is anyone using their Droid with Exchange? My brother is still using a Blackberry because he believes it integrates better with Exchange than Android does. Is this still true?
                      Other than not syncing my todo list I have had no issues with exchange on my device. If anything it's better than the imap account I also use and just as easy to set up.

I'm using a Hero (G2 version).
                      Last edited by retrokill; 08-29-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Being a teacher, I can tell you that when you push the power and it goes off it will be completely silent.

You can go in to settings, sound, then on the vibrate option choose never.

There might be a shortcut, but I do not know it.

Comment

So Galaxy S has not received 2.2, anyone know when? Also, I'm hearing stuff about 2.3 Gingerbread now, is it possible we'll get that update as well? I just heard most phones get one update, then they won't release anymore for your model after that.

Comment

Not sure about official 2.2 ROMs for the Galaxy S phones but I bet a quick google search could find you a custom ROM that has 2.2

My Droid has gone from 2.0 -> 2.0.1 -> 2.1 -> 2.2 so I bet companies are going to upgrade their devices if it reasonable. If nothing else some awesome developer will make a custom ROM.
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I read a blurb stating that Samsung will roll out 2.2 on the Galaxy S by the end of September.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...ptember-708120

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X