opinion on possible gaming rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on possible gaming rig

ok, so I'm building a new computer with the hope that my grandma will get it for me for Christmas, and I would like an opinion on what I'm looking at for the base components, such as the GPU, Hard Drive, Power supply, memory, motherboard, and CPU.
    What I have:
    Power supply: Diablotek DA Series 500w ATX Power Supply - 500W, Dual 80mm Fan, ATX Power Supply
    GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi
    Motherboard/CPU bundle: Asus M4A785-M Motherboard & AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core Processor Bundle
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM - - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB (2x 2048MB), 240 Pin, Dual-Channel
    Hard drive: Seagate 7200.11 ST31500341AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1.5TB, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G (OEM)
    (Note: I am recycling all of the other components, such as the monitor, case, and optical drive)
    I can get all of this for $629.25 USD on biz.tigerdirect.com, not counting the magic 8% discount my step dad can get me.
    Is this good? or can I do better than this for under $600?
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    sigpic

Re: opinion on possible gaming rig

Dump the PSU. I've taken a look at the item (@ MicroCenter). The label may say 500W but looking at amperage makes me very suspiscious it won't do more than 380W/400W.

I'd spend the money on a Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Zippy, or a Thermaltake.

Dump the Seagate 7200.11 1.5 TB drive too. I've already gone through 2 of those things and they both went crackly bust in a few months or less. Go with a 7200.12 drive or stick with a WD (Caviar Blue, Green, Black or Scorpio).

As for GPU, I wouldn't touch the nV GTX 4xx line due to excessive heat, noise, and high power usage. The HD5850 would be a far better deal in my opinion. Given that, the GTX460's pretty good card if you don't mind noise, heat, or sucking more watts down the line.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

hmmm... no wonder why my step dad didn't like the seagate, switched out for a WD caviar green 1tb HD. As for the PSU, I would guess that's the reason it's dirt cheap, switched for a Ultra lsp550. GPU-wise, I don't care if it's loud, I just want the performance.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        As for GPU, I wouldn't touch the nV GTX 4xx line due to excessive heat, noise, and high power usage. The HD5850 would be a far better deal in my opinion. Given that, the GTX460's pretty good card if you don't mind noise, heat, or sucking more watts down the line.
        The new GTX 460s have resolved the issues you mentioned. The card should be great blackraven.
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
          The new GTX 460s have resolved the issues you mentioned. The card should be great blackraven.
          Hmm: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...x_460_review/8

Again, noise, temp, and heat is going to vary based on the cooler implemented by the manufacturer. Though I must say, even if nVidia's reference cooler is "great", my Sapphire's HD5830 cooler is even better (and far better than the reference cooler from AMD) as my HD5830 hits around 64/65 C on full load and idles around 38-43 C.

So maybe eVGA's cooler is as effective as nV's reference design or better? If so, then great, it's not the scorching 95 C of the GTX480 but rather 75 C or less on full load, which is way better than the 480s. Hopefully it's as good as my Sapphire's, 'cus 75 C is still pretty hot.

Power draw at idle is where a gap is. Maybe this affects your buying decision and maybe not.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Are you running Furmark to achieve your load temp Acreo? If so then ya thats impressive. If not then keep in mind that is what hardocp is doing.
            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I'm going to agree with Acreo on the power supply and hard drive (the PSU you've chosen is garbage and I've learned the hard and expensive way that it is a really bad idea to cheap out on a PSU and the 7200.11 series of HDDs is notoriously flaky. I'm very happy with my Samsung F3 1TB drive) and with Mantis on the video card. Keep in mind that I generally prefer ATI cards but at the price point, I think the 1GB GTX460 is the best card on the market. If you can spend a bit more, a 5850 would be a nice upgrade but looking at your parts list, it seems that you're on a pretty serious budget. That is an awesome rig for the money and other than the PSU, I think you did a great job of picking out components.
              sigpic

Comment

@Buckets, oh yea, a VERY serious budget. Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blackraven93 View Post
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  Sigged.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Lol. also, change of plans, I'm most likely getting a $400 used PC from my Step Dad's friend now...
                    all I know at the moment for specs is:
                    GPU: dual geforce 8600 GTs in sli
                    CPU: Intel i7 2.7 Ghz
                    MOBO: sli mobo
                    HD: 1tb
                    Step dad says hes gunna ask his friend for full specs tomorrow
                    sigpic

Comment

Lol. also, change of plans, I'm most likely getting a $400 used PC from my Step Dad's friend now...
                      GPU: dual geforce 8600 GTs in sli
                      CPU: Intel i7 2.7 Ghz
                      MOBO: sli mobo
                      HD: 1tb
                      Step dad says hes gunna ask his friend for full specs tomorrow
                      i7, 8600GTs SLI, and a SLI board. No way that's a "$400" PC. Just the chip alone is $280 most places (exception is $200 at Micro Center). The LGA1366 SLI boards typically cost $100+. Add on another $100 for the two 8600GTs. Tack on the HDD and everything else, and you're looking at close to $600/$700 rig.

Given that, it's a current gen PC with current gen hardware except for the graphics cards. You could easily swap out the 8600s for a GTX460 or a HD5850 (or a more affordable mainstream card like the HD5770).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Only $400 for that equipment? Is he trying to launder money or fence that through you or something?

Comment

ahem, USED. Plus my step dad has known the guy for 16 years. Besides, from what my step dad told me he barely uses it and just wants to get rid of it.
                          sigpic

Comment

ok, my Step Dad just emailed me the specs.
                            they are:
                            GPU: 2 XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256mb PCI Express w/Dual Link DVI running in SLI mode

MOBO: XFX nForce 6801 LT SLI socket 775 motherboard

CPU: Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4ghz Q6600 processor

Memory: 4GB Corsair TWINX PC6400 DDR2 8oomhz E.P.P. Ram

Sound Card: Creative Labs Fatality X-Finity Sound Card

PSU: 650w power supply

HTPC case

DVD burner with Lightscribe
                            Should this run Arma 2 and Arma 2: OA on max?
                            sigpic

Comment

No, the video cards are garbage. The rest of the system is decent but a bit outdated.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X