All the Apple news from the press conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the Apple news from the press conference

I just got home and have been trying to catch up on all the stuff Apple announced today. I'm a bit :row__529:

I was really hoping to see something cool from a new Apple TV, but instead they stick it with a max 720p and lots of other apple limits. I'll post all the good links from Engadget, but this first one shows why I will be sticking with my PS3 for now, and maybe a Boxee in the near future.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Apple TV vs. the competition -- how does it stack up?

The new Apple TV for $99

Apple TV (2010) first look / hands-on!

And of course there is a whole new lineup of Ipods:

iPod nano vs touch vs shuffle... fight!

iPod touch (2010) first hands-on! (update: video!)

iPod nano (2010) first hands-on! (update: video!)

iPod shuffle (2010) first hands-on!

iPod touch gets revamped: retina display, FaceTime, HD video recording

iPod nano redesigned: smaller, lighter, better and costing $149 for 8GB or $179 for 16GB

Other stuff:

Apple's AirPlay music streaming coming to third party speaker docks, receivers, and stereos

Boxee Box priced at $199, Avner Ronen says it'll give users 'freedom to watch what you want'

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: All the Apple news from the press conference

I'm actually intrigued by the new Nano. Love how tiny it is! I might actually purchase a shuffle for working out, though.

Apple TV seems like a complete ripoff, though. 720p max? What garbage is that? Especially when there's a huge variety of equally cheap set-top media players currently on the market with 1080p output, and the freedom to play whatever the heck you want. It won't hold a candle to the Boxee. Heck, Apple TV doesn't even compare to my current Western Digital TV Live.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm wondering why the hell they dont update the ipod classic? I mean really, the nano and the touch are nice and all, but I have freaking 63 GB of music. Aside from the ipod classic (of which the smallest size is 80 gb), apple doesnt have another device that can hold even 1/4 of my mp3s.

Comment

The 720p is really all about streaming. Thats the business model. They don't want you to put your own 1080p rips on it (which you shouldn't technically have, only protected BD should deliver 1080p). Its not really cost effective to up streaming quality from iTunes to 1080, and most movie studios won't let them either.

I guess Youtube does deliver some 1080p content, but I guess Apple figured the more expensive components required for that stuff (which brings them no revenue) wasn't worth it.
        Do or do not, there is no try....
        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
          The 720p is really all about streaming. Thats the business model. They don't want you to put your own 1080p rips on it (which you shouldn't technically have, only protected BD should deliver 1080p). Its not really cost effective to up streaming quality from iTunes to 1080, and most movie studios won't let them either.

I guess Youtube does deliver some 1080p content, but I guess Apple figured the more expensive components required for that stuff (which brings them no revenue) wasn't worth it.
          Then how do the competitors deliver streaming 1080p content with devices that are every bit as cheap? And what's wrong with my 1080p rips? I don't download movies. I only rip blu-rays I've purchased. Fair use, baby! It's awesome going diskless. Apple TV just doesn't offer the flexibility that the competition does. Heck, it seems quite inferior in many ways. Not the Apple model I'm used to. Although they do typically limit the usage of their products, they at least usually offer high end hardware. I don't see how this is high end in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            Then how do the competitors deliver streaming 1080p content with devices that are every bit as cheap? And what's wrong with my 1080p rips? I don't download movies. I only rip blu-rays I've purchased. Fair use, baby! It's awesome going diskless. Apple TV just doesn't offer the flexibility that the competition does. Heck, it seems quite inferior in many ways. Not the Apple model I'm used to. Although they do typically limit the usage of their products, they at least usually offer high end hardware. I don't see how this is high end in any way.
            Lol, I'm not disagreeing with you about the fair use, all I'm saying is that if you asked the movie studios, they would claim that playing 1080p content on anything other than a blueray that you purchased (and repurchased, if it broke) is equivalent to eating babies or something. I guess my point is that is the business environment that Apple have to deal with to get the content onto iTunes. I'll also wager that the other 1080p streaming box providers don't have to serve their own content. Quite a bit more bandwidth to deliver 1080p across the network. I'm not just talking about home use here, but rather delivering content from the internet. Pretty much seems the point of iTV (heh) is to serve as an iTunes storefront so you can rent stuff from them, so why bother with the extra cost and engineering 1080p needs. They are still going to sell a lot of them. The netflix integration is probably the "killer" feature in terms of 90% of the people who will buy them. Case in point, my wife saw it, saw it had netflix and said, we're getting one. I don't care, it's 99 bux and I can finally reclaim my PS3 (currently the netflix portal, so I get practically 0 game time on it) :)
            Do or do not, there is no try....
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Just bought me a new 8 GB silver Nano today. I must admit, it's everything I always wanted the Nano to be. I have a 120 GB Classic to use as my jukebox, so storage wasn't an issue. I really didn't want a video camera on my mp3 player. I can't believe how tiny this thing is! The touch screen is intuitive and works flawlessly. The FM radio's fantastic, which is perfect for tuning into the tv's at the gym. It has a clip like the shuffle. As usual, the headphones that come with it (and every other apple product) completely blow, so I'll be throwing those out immediately.

My biggest concern? That I might lose this thing! It's teeny! This thing is going to perfect for the gym. That's pretty much the only reason I wanted it. It is definitely not a replacement for your Zune/Classic/iPod touch or whatever you use. If you're in the market for a nano anyway, I highly recommend it.

Comment

War, have you seen the straps that let you turn the nano into a watch?
                Link:
                iLoveHandles turns nano iPods into oversized watches

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Once again a bunch of outdated, mostly useless or mediocre tech in somewhat nice design...
                  People are gonna strangle each other in the apple stores to get some of those toys yet again.

I really don't know what it is with apple... It's just... white stuff with less features.
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X