Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent timeout in traceroute

Hey there!

I'm using a router (WRT54GL) for a couple days now and beside the problem that my BC2 doesn't work (I do not think that it's a problem on my end since I've changed hw/sw configs several times) I keep getting a timed out unknown host in my traceroutes.
    It's always the second hop. First one's my router of course...

What could that be? I don't think I got that timeout when I didn't use the router.

The rest is working fine, internet is okay, gaming is okay (Except for BC2 -_-)

Thanks in advance guys n girls :]
    sigpic

Re: Permanent timeout in traceroute

It looks as if the second hop via your ISP and maybe has to do with IP routing tables not updated on the ISP routers?? Or could it be that there is a lot of traffic running on that hop and just rerouted to hop 3??

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I have no idea D:

I don't even know what the second hop could be x]
      (I'll call my provider and ask those guys)
      sigpic

Comment

ya man, I would try google, there my life line alot of time :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Wait is your router on a static IP behind your modem? If so that's your second hop: your modem. I'd say something's wrong with your modem if you can't get a ping or IP resolve out of it. Try power cycling the thing (turning it off for 30 secs and turning it back on).

It should resolve to an internal network IP (like 192.198.0.1) and should be less than 3 ms latency time (assuming it's not over 150 feet away).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's a static IP and yep the router is behind the modem.

After a bit of research the timed out second hop seems to be both common and nothing to worry about.
            My provider just said that it's propably the second and extern network card of the router... Maybe my router blocks the trace on that hop... I have no idea :D
            sigpic

Comment

Traceroute works using ICMP protocol. A low level way to query network equipment about its status. You can turn this off (sometimes for very good reason) in most network stuff. Your modem/router probably has ICMP support turned off. It doesn't mean anything, most people are just used to seeing it on all the time because most ISPs and backbones leave it on for troubleshooting.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Thanks a lot :]
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement