Sound Cards -- Do I Need One?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Cards -- Do I Need One?

I do not have 5.1 speakers -- just two 20w systems running a total of 4 speakers.

I ask this question as I am always having trouble getting TWO output jacks for two sets of speakers running as well as a headphone/mic (two more jacks). And my new build does not recognize my old UBS headphones.

So would a soundcard give me more flexibility here and enable two output jacks for my old stereo and my old desktop computer speakers as well as a functioning headset, without having to mess around with connections everytime I plug in my head set?

Six years on, the on board MoB sound jacks and software appears as crappy as it ever was...

Thanks for any comments,
    sigpic

Re: Sound Cards -- Do I Need One?

I use a 3.5mm splittler between my stereo headphones (I have always used stereo) and my 2.1 Logitech Z4 system.

I tend to only use my headphones when my roomates are trying to sleep downstairs, since my subwoofer is a monster in this house's construction...

BTW, not gonna lie, while there are newer and "better" systems, this system has put up with a ton of heavy metal....

Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
      I use a 3.5mm splittler between my stereo headphones (I have always used stereo) and my 2.1 Logitech Z4 system.
      My goodness, they have a widget for everything!

I will run out and get that today. Then its time to crank this up . . .

sigpic

Comment

I have the Z4 system and like them. If you want a Sound Card I have one for sale: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/buy-sel...remegamer.html

Comment

I would suggest yes. I went for years without one, but being able to turn settings up in games like BF2 PR, BC2, and Company of Heroes makes it worthwhile. Also, it has saved my virtual life many times, where I hear people sneak up on me, or enables me to sneak up on them, or hear vehicles before most people in my squad.

I have a X-Fi Titanium, but the X-Fi Gamer is just as good.

Comment

I also have the Z4 2.1 speakers as shown above. I LOVE them. Super good bang for the buck. I've been shocked at how good they sound for the price. And YES, get a sound card. I put in a Razer Barracuda AC-1 soundcard. Holyyyy crap, what a difference....even with 2.1 sound. The clarity increased so much. Plus, albeit minor, it takes a small load off the cpu. It seems to be much more clear at lower volumes, which is key for me being in an apartment. Although mobo onboard sound has come leaps and bounds over what it was in years past, sound cards still seem worth it to the discriminating ear. As stated above, just get a cheap 3.5mm splitter. That will do the trick. Sadly, I bought a USB headset, which switches the entire sound over from the speakers to the headset. I can't do both at the same time for some reason.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

This has been discussed a few times in this forum, but if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will not gain any FPS improvements with a sound card. The audio architecture changes for those system no longer allow audio mixing in-hardware, which was the #1 reason to have an external sound card. Audio mixing is the bulk of the processing overhead. You will gain improvements to the quality of the audio, however.

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
              I would suggest yes. I went for years without one, but being able to turn settings up in games like BF2 PR, BC2, and Company of Heroes makes it worthwhile. Also, it has saved my virtual life many times, where I hear people sneak up on me, or enables me to sneak up on them, or hear vehicles before most people in my squad.

I have a X-Fi Titanium, but the X-Fi Gamer is just as good.
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

Good. I am not looking for improved CPU performance.

The consenus appears to be a sound card is indeed worth it.

Thank you,
                sigpic

Comment

some integrated cards can be good just saying but for the most part dedicated cards will be better.

Messing with the equalizer settings can at least in my case make up for some of the short comings of any sound cards sound quality.
                  |TG-Irr|CrazyDengoru
                  Yes i watch and read mlp:fim related videos and fanfics. Problem?
                  sigpic
                  Steam ID: CrazyDengoru

Comment

Jeepo, I am looking at your X-Fi Titanium, and see this report from one owner: "There are NO options when using win 7 x64 to record from the WAV or the what you hear."

Can you record your own in-game voice? ANY recording problems with this card?
                    sigpic

Comment

Here are my settings for FRAPS emale, which I believe is what you mean? It works for me, I get in game sound, in game comms and my comms all in one:

Last edited by Jeepo; 09-03-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Just to get this straight, you're basically looking for 3 output connections, correct? One for each speaker set and another one for a headset? Like Skud noted above, I as well use a splitter on my sound card output jack to get a signal going to my headset and my speaker set. Maybe you can find a 3-way splitter? Personally, I don't really think buying a discrete sound card is worth it unless you have a discerning ear for high quality audio in music, movies or sound effects in games. The on-board audio solution in most motherboards, particularly in top of the line motherboards like the Rampage you bought, is typically quite adequate. They also usually feature 5.1/7.1 audio connections as well as optical digital connections. Also, you have to consider whether your current speakers are even capable of showcasing what a better, discrete sound card can do. Just some food for thought.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Your settings reminded me to buy my wife some flowers . . .
                          sigpic

Comment

Wait..now I feel like I want a sound card...

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                            Twisted Firestarter
                            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed