Bit Torrenting and ISPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit Torrenting and ISPs

Hello everyone. I've got some questions. In short I am very pissed off with my ISP. Around where I live there is only one Cable company offered (a monopoly regardless of whether DSL is considered a competitor or not). Time Warner Cable is the bane of my existence but if I am to subscribe to an internet provider I must go with them. I've regarly had problems with them, argued with their supposed award winning customer service (repeatedly talked to idiots on the other line who didn't know what they were talking about). But this is all just a preface to the real issue I wish to discuss.

Time Warner Cable has seen fit to reset my internet connection when I am bit torrenting. Now before anyone responds, "Hey isn't that illegal?". No it is not, and you might want to educate yourself on the matter with this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorr...)#Legal_issues

In short it's only illegal if I am sharing files which are copyrighted and I do not own the copy right to. However bit torrenting covers everything, often legitimate needs. There is copyright free music in which I am allowed to share with others as well as software, movies, etc. Blizzard Entertainment updates it's game with bit torrenting technology.

So what's my problem? Time Warner Cable resets my connection when they see that I am bit torrenting. So I ask, any suggestions? I use uTorrent and have found that randomizing my port every time I download helps as well as encrypting my upload. Time Warner Cable only seems to be checking in on my upload if that helps. In short I'm tired of constantly being screwed over by a service I pay for but can't use.

Re: Bit Torrenting and ISPs

I know that using Azereus Vuze, there used to be a way to totally randomise your settings so nothing could be traced to you, so you could download all you want. Maybe consider trying it? However, I don't know enough about it sorry! :(

Comment

Try utorrent... it makes it possible to encrypt the data to prevent exactly that ;)

http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/connection-setup
      No 2~

:]
      sigpic

Comment

Encryption will only work if the people giving you the file are also running encrypted, and won't work if the ISP is running Deep Packet Inspection software like comcast was with Sandvine. There may be hope in getting a good firewall to drop/ignore the RST packet in the TCP headers.

there may be something in here to help?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

It does seem that in uTorrent randomizing the port and encrypting data has kept them at bay so far. Thanks for the suggestions! :) I don't understand why ISPs can't mind their own business especially when you call to find out and they all claim they're not messing with P2P and treat you like a criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
            Around where I live there is only one Cable company offered (a monopoly regardless of whether DSL is considered a competitor or not).
            I know that ATT uVerse is offered in some parts of Orange County, I switched to them from a cable provider and service is 10x better, I get solid upload and download speeds and I can max out torrents like any other traffic. It is fiber to the alley, copper (coax actually) to the house here. 1 Mb up and 6 Mb down isn't too badly priced and is accurate speeds ion practice, around 50 bucks, and it can handle the up and down at the same time where cable crapped out if I had over 30k up at the same time I was downloading.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I might double check on ATT uVerse snoogums :) I know they were trying to reach my area before but at the time their service was new, not up to snuff, and didn't quite reach my exact location. I've heard a lot of good things so if it's now available I'll likely switch over. Thanks!

Comment

I know this is kinda off-topic, but I don't want to open a new thread for such a simple question.

What speeds are usually available in the states? And for how much money?
                sigpic

Comment

There are lots of speeds Voulk, anywhere from 3mbps down 1mbps up (DSL) to 50mbps down and 30mbps up (fiber/cable). There are even some connections that are faster now. Personally I have 30 down and 25 up it costs me around $50 a month.
                  |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                  |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Vouk, the best I can get is 5down/1.5 up, but this is in rural SW VA. I'd be paying around $50 for that.

Sirus, Azureus offers IC4 encryption and has the option to default to TOR (or I2P) connections exclusively.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                    --BlackMirror
                    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

Thanks guys :]

I knew those providers here are cheap with the upstream =/
                      Sittin on a 25/1,5 cable here... Somehow those numbers don't really fit do they?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vouk View Post
                        Thanks guys :]

I knew those providers here are cheap with the upstream =/
                        Sittin on a 25/1,5 cable here... Somehow those numbers don't really fit do they?
                        That's typical. Usually down is quite a bit faster than up unless you switched over to a fiber-optic connection like Verizon's FIOS or had a T1/T3 line.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Same as in the UK, I get 10mbs and 0.5mb up, and thats on Fibre............

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                            Vouk, the best I can get is 5down/1.5 up, but this is in rural SW VA. I'd be paying around $50 for that.

Sirus, Azureus offers IC4 encryption and has the option to default to TOR (or I2P) connections exclusively.
                            We get 6/1 here in midstate Pennsylvania, about 60 dollars. I was gettiing 1.5/384 DSL for 80 dollars/month.

Also, I'd highly recommend NOT EVER using TOR proxies to do your bittorrenting with. It wreaks havoc on the network as it isn't built for that, and there's a lot of legitimate international stuff you could be screwing over. Had way too many issues back last year...

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Time Warner Cable offers 2/1 in my area :( That's after they tried to convince me that twisted copper pair was fiber. *sigh*

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X