Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a backup solution for mail server

Hi all,

My company runs a Kerio outlook mail server in our office, recently we had a storm that not only kicked the power in and out several times.....but I think we may have taken a lightning strike as well.....long story short it Fubar'd just about everyone's email accounts and lost tons of data. We are turning it in for insurance of course but my question is are there any truly good means of doing data backup and server power protection? What we have right now is a daily backup to data tape, as well as a dedicated small UPS for the mail server......what other options are out there? does anyone have a company with something different? I am all ears as I was the one that lost the most data. Thanks in advance IT guru's
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Need a backup solution for mail server

I'm not sure of the specifics of it, but my company replicates the whole volume for our Exchange server (and all other servers for that matter) to an offsite data center. It takes awhile (the first time you do it) and a bunch of bandwith but you have an up to the minute backup should something happen.

Didn't your UPS keep the server up? How long were you without power?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The ups does keep it up....I guess I am wondering how to power surge proof it?....the ups has built in 420 joules of protection and it still corrupted the server
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I'm not sure how Kerio works to be honest. Does it act like Exchange where the user's mail is stored on the server unless archived? If the users where downloading their mail from the server and storing them in a local .OST file, and individual user's machines where going up/down and weren't surge protected, that could be where the corruption is coming from.

Just throwing ideas out there, I'm not really sure. I'm just a helpdesk guy.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

yes kerio is an exchange server

Comment

I use SBS2k3 - well, kinda.

I use Google for my email servers, and everyone sends / receives through that. Everyone uses .OST files to keep a local cache file of their outlook. I have the SBS2k3 set up basically as a sync server. (I personally have 6 computers / devices that sync email.) when one device sends or receives an email, it syncs to the server, then that propagates to all the others. If I need to reinstall, all I do is set up exchange, and calendars, notes, contacts, todo's, email, etc - all come back within minutes.

I have SBS replicate itself in entirety every Friday to a NAS, and I do an incremental backup every night.

That, along with everyone's computers makes it bulletproof enough for my needs. In a catastrophe, Google holds everyone's email in archive at least, and we have a global calendar as well as .CSV's of everyone's contacts emailed to ourselves through google once a month as disaster insurance.

I am sure none of that helps you.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Are you running this on Windows or Linux?
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...