Switching from nVidia to ATI -- problems? 5870 vs GTX480

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from nVidia to ATI -- problems? 5870 vs GTX480

My much beloved nVidia 8800GTX died yesterday, so I'm in the market for a new card. I've heard good things about the Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 and it seems to stack up well against the nVidia GTX 480 and the price point is better.

My one concern is that I've read numerous posts by people who have switched from nVidia to ATI and run into a lot of issues -- whether it's from the nVidia drivers not being completely cleaned out, or Windows specific drivers that get installed for one card and causes problems with the other, or some other issue. Has anyone here had any major issues switching between nVidia & ATI? Keep in mind that since my GPU is hosed I can't uninstall my current drivers and clean everything out until I install the new card.

Any other comments on the 5870 in general or vs the GTX480?
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Switching from nVidia to ATI -- problems? 5870 vs GTX480

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
    My much beloved nVidia 8800GTX died yesterday, so I'm in the market for a new card. I've heard good things about the Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 and it seems to stack up well against the nVidia GTX 480 and the price point is better.

My one concern is that I've read numerous posts by people who have switched from nVidia to ATI and run into a lot of issues -- whether it's from the nVidia drivers not being completely cleaned out, or Windows specific drivers that get installed for one card and causes problems with the other, or some other issue. Has anyone here had any major issues switching between nVidia & ATI? Keep in mind that since my GPU is hosed I can't uninstall my current drivers and clean everything out until I install the new card.

Those that have issues are the ones that never properly clean out the drivers, I have switched back and forth many times between the 2 manufacturers and have never had an issue on Xp or win 7. Ads for not being able to uninstall the Nvidia drivers ....that's not an issue, as a matter of fact I have ran Nvidia drivers on an ATI card before....the performance isn't great, but it will boot fine so you can uninstall the Nvidia
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Just make sure you run Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode after you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and you should be fine. I switched from Nvidia to ATI in my wife's computer over the summer and it works well.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
        Just make sure you run Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode after you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and you should be fine.
        Exactly!
        I also switched from an 8800GTS to a 5870 and have been fine. Ran driver sweeper of course and no problems.
        I still wouldn't even consider an Nvidia 470 or 480, even if it was cheaper than the ATI.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll grab driver sweeper and clean everything out before installing the new drivers. The card should be here today, so I'll post an update after it's installed and tested.
          Twisted Firestarter
          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post

Almost all of those issues that I've seen are because people have crap Dell or HP machines that came with HD5870s and used their own build of drivers or are because people never bother to properly clean out their previous driver installs.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X