7 ultimate 64bit, Dell, & drivers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 ultimate 64bit, Dell, & drivers...

Guys, I am looking into installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my Dell Inspiron 6400. I have a copy of 7 sitting around and I am going to use it. The hardware meets requirements for 7, but I am concerned about the ability for the laptop to run the hardware properly.

Will I be able to find drivers for my laptop's hardware?

Will the drivers from the hardware manufacturers work for the laptop's hardware now that the computer has a new OS installed?

Note: for any of you who have never dealt with Dell before, Dell tends to make Dell specific drivers for the hardware installed inside their computers and they also tend to neglect updating the drivers.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: 7 ultimate 64bit, Dell, & drivers...

Check Dell's support website to see if they have Win7 specific drivers for your laptop. If not, then see if they have Vista drivers. Failing that, you could try to force XP drivers to work in Win7, but that's a hit-or-miss as some just crap out just on the install.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey, could I just use the hardware manufacture's drivers like the ATI drivers that I can download from AMD's site?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
        Hey, could I just use the hardware manufacture's drivers like the ATI drivers that I can download from AMD's site?
        For Dell components you cannot (often times causes a range of weird problems). For components you purchased separately, yes.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Microsoft did such massive and extensive beta testing, that the support for older computers is actually pretty outstanding. I put Win 7 64-bit on my 3+ year old HP laptop. My dad put Win 7 32-bit on his ancient 7+ year old Sony Vaio laptop. All is well, and both computers are running beautifully. It really breathed new life into his old Sony, and Windows 7 automatically located all necessary drivers upon installation. Been running like a champ since it's release last November.

I'd say it's a safe bet your Dell will be just fine with it.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

My wife has/had a Vista os on her toshiba, I went to the site and they actually had a program that you installed once windows 7 was up and running that put all the Toshiba features onto the new OS. It was pretty cool and basically made the laptop like it was purchased with win 7 minus the bloatware. One note you should make is that I had to do a bios update PRIOR to the windows 7 install. The dell site should have any and all notices about your particular laptop and what is necessary to make the move to WIN7
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

This is awesome to hear, because I was concerned that I would have problems running things correctly.

Comment

a 6400 should have come with vista installed, and as such, if there is something that 7 misses a driver for, you can easily download the vista driver and use it - as 7 is running on the same core as vista. I know there is an unknown device that is a pita to find a driver for on the 6400... I think it winds up being the smb controller.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Dog, my 6400 came with XP and I am now using a 64 bit OS. Does this mean I could use a gfx card driver meant to be used with a 32 bit OS?

Comment

the support site should have drivers in x64... also search an e1505. same laptop. do you have the x1300, or the x1400? actually, either way, you can use the omega drivers. I used them when I had that laptop. worked great.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have the X1400, and the omega drivers are 3rd party drivers not made by ATI, no?

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                        I have the X1400, and the omega drivers are 3rd party drivers not made by ATI, no?
                        Omega drivers are NOT made by ATI. They are actually tweaked and hacked ATI drivers provided by the community as a "performance" boost for the various Radeons out there in gamer rigs.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I found that they do not have them yet...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X