Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam to offer automatic driver updates for AMD graphics cards, 10.9 driver released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam to offer automatic driver updates for AMD graphics cards, 10.9 driver released

This is pretty interesting news.

Steam to offer automatic driver updates for AMD graphics cards

You have to admit it can be an annoyance sometimes to update your drivers, so you just keep using the old ones. But if the drivers updated themselves in the background and you just needed to reboot at some point, would help keep people more up to date.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Steam to offer automatic driver updates for AMD graphics cards, 10.9 driver relea

Nice play by ATI......I really see them making an effort to dominate the GFX market with not only a great product....but user friendly programs such as this.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: Steam to offer automatic driver updates for AMD graphics cards, 10.9 driver relea

If they install correctly with no problems this will make my world.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Could be a pain if the drivers cause problems though

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

But I don't want them to auto update my drivers. Sometimes new ones introduce big problems so I like to wait to see how stable new drivers are being I even upgrade.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

They do not auto update. You have to manually select to upgrade them in the menu.

Comment

I wonder what happens if you have beta drivers installed? Does it overwrite them?

Also, I just tested this. For some reason the 10.9 drivers are 115MB. Yet, when I look on the ATI website the full catalyst suite is 42MB. What is in the other 73MB?
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

I tried it out last night and so far, so good. I'm used to doing it manually but it was certainly a lot easier doing it through Steam.
                sigpic

Comment

A bit of googling and I saw this:

Have a look at your C:\ATI\Support directory, if that's where you let previous ATI driver packages uncompress before installing. Look at their size. Yep. The same. The 40-50MB download from ATI is because it is a compressed exectuable archive - like a zip file.
                  So that answers that question. But I also saw this:

Installing through Steam skips ATI's setup installation options panel you'd normally see, so you do not have the option to deselect the AMD/ATI crapware from being installed. This includes the registration reminder/auto-prompter/scheduler. If you install from the ATI site, you can deselect that prior to install (as well as uncheck the option to install whatever adware they're currently sponsoring, e.g., the LotRO game client.)
                  Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                  I wonder what happens if you have beta drivers installed? Does it overwrite them?

Also, I just tested this. For some reason the 10.9 drivers are 115MB. Yet, when I look on the ATI website the full catalyst suite is 42MB. What is in the other 73MB?
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

Best news from AMD I've seen all year. God they've always made driver updates a pain. This is just one more reason why I <3 Steam! :)
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Ah well, in that case, I will stick with downloading EXEs from AMD's site and going through the custom installs. :)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just updated my drivers in a few easy clicks! No crapware either. What a snap. Now I'll actually be better about updating drivers.
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

To roll back will be easy if you do find a conflict with a game you have. Old drivers are easy to find, so you just uninstall the steam ones like normal and reinstall the old ones. Same thing happens when you download like normal and have a conflict.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

No crapware on mine either.
                            sigpic

Comment

Do steam have a quality control process that they follow before releasing any updates or patches to games and cards? :row__637:
                              Last edited by MrMojay; 09-17-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X