Can i haz adapter pls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i haz adapter pls?

Alright, since I'm a HUGE nerd, and have an affinity to computers and all things tech, I've become the go-to guy when in comes to anything related to computers. This includes hooking up projectors to laptops whenever some person (Student, teacher, or otherwise) wants to do a presentation.

A friend of mine was presenting a PowerPoint on a MAC (crazy i know), and i was called to hook it up to one of the smart boards we have in the history classroom. She had a Macbook that was around 5 years old. The VGA - Mac plug requires this kind of adapter.

I make a trip to the back room of the library, where we keep all the computer related things. The only adapter that I could find was one that looked like this.

Catch the subtle difference? After showing the teacher that the adapters are incompatible with my friend's mac, he tries using his instead. He has a Macbook from this year, which requires an adapter that looks like this. (far left)

After showing that none of the adapters used what i had available. I went into the storage closet of the library and pulled out a Mac from 2008, and I found that it used the one I had found. I hooked that up (after finding a charger that worked for it) to the projector and we got the presentation going after 20 minutes of searching.

Notice how all of these adapters hook up to the same VGA plug. People use VGA because it still works, isn't a huge outlet, and has been the standard for around 25 years. Although it's slowly being phased out by DVI, the Smartboards we have that were made this year come with VGA standard. Why can't Mac use VGA, the size of the plug isn't that big, my Samsung Q1 tablet has one. If they must be "different" then at least stick to one form of an adapter.

That's my rant for now.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Can i haz adapter pls?

Yes but, then you wouldn't have to buy the new dongle.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I was going to say something snarky about Apple products but Namebot nailed it so perfectly and succinctly that there is no need.

It was kind of painful to see one of my old instructors forget his Macbook's charging brick. 40 students in the class. 15 Macbooks of various ages among them (some the same year as the instructor's). ALL incompatible, even if they had the same voltage supply and what-not. After the third time, he bought himself a spare and kept it in his bag, subsequently never forgetting the primary charger for the rest of the semester.

Almost makes me feel bad that all I have to do for my VAIO is find a rectifier with the proper voltage and it's just about guaranteed to plug into the laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
        Almost makes me feel bad that all I have to do for my VAIO is find a rectifier with the proper voltage and it's just about guaranteed to plug into the laptop.
        "The problem has been rectified."

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

It is amazing how un-standardized Macs are from one another, for all being from the same company. I forget to bring the adapter to work for my HP laptop earlier this year. No problem. Somebody else had 3 year newer, completely different model HP, and it worked just fine for mine. :)

As stated above, Apple does this so you are forced to buy accessories. That would frustrate me.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Apple does this so you are forced to buy incredibly overpriced accessories. That would frustrate me.
            fix't.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
              Apple does this so you are forced to buy Apple does this so you are forced to buy incredibly overpriced accessories. That would frustrate me. accessories. That would frustrate me.
              fix't.
              But then you've already overpaid for their computers anyways. What's some extra overpriced accessories to you after that?

Probably along the lines of "chump change" if you can afford to throw a few grand on a Mac.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                But then you've already overpaid for their computers anyways. What's some extra overpriced accessories to you after that?

Probably along the lines of "chump change" if you can afford to throw a few grand on a Mac.
                Indeed true. Although most mac users that I know are at the lower end of what would be considered "tech savvy" and often made the initial purchase because it was hip/trendy/different thing to do, and end up paying for that later when they go to buy an accessory/upgrade/repair. It's tough to explain to a friend that no, the widely available $12 generic cable won't work, we need to buy the $60 branded cable.

It's good business sense on Apple's end, and if people find value in what they're getting, more power to them.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                  Indeed true. Although most mac users that I know are at the lower end of what would be considered "tech savvy" and often made the initial purchase because it was hip/trendy/different thing to do, and end up paying for that later when they go to buy an accessory/upgrade/repair.
                  Generally, it's because Apple offers some absurd discounts on their hardware if you buy them with a college/high school student discount. When I started college, the store had something called the "Freshmen College Starter Pack" that took the current $1000 Macbook and made it like $400 after the initial and mail-in/online registration rebates. There was even an interest-free financing plan for Macbooks available at the time.

Honestly, I looked at it like the tobacco industry's old unofficial slogan of "get 'em when they're young" (and don't know better).

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                    Generally, it's because Apple offers some absurd discounts on their hardware if you buy them with a college/high school student discount. When I started college, the store had something called the "Freshmen College Starter Pack" that took the current $1000 Macbook and made it like $400 after the initial and mail-in/online registration rebates. There was even an interest-free financing plan for Macbooks available at the time.

Honestly, I looked at it like the tobacco industry's old unofficial slogan of "get 'em when they're young" (and don't know better).
                    Few schools have such a "premier" agreement with Apple that they can offer you a highly-discounted Apple product. For example, none of the schools I've visited or attended have ever had such discounts on Apple products much less offer to sell you a Apple product.

Which college did you attend?
                    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Which college did you attend?
                      Honestly, I don't want to admit it. It was a short term affair with them and I don't want to get into it (they had...issues, so I'm highly skeptical that they were really getting more than a $100 discount on what was probably a $500 Macbook--I'm just going on what the guy in the store was trying to claim).
                      That said, when I went to an actual state University, the discount was maybe 10-20%. However, it was still "better" than the 0% discount from Toshiba and Sony at the bookstore. I always figured the popularity had something to do with the uninformed looking at a $800 Macbook getting a 10% discount as being better than the equivalent $5-600 from another manufacturer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X