RFC, ThirdSin's PC Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFC, ThirdSin's PC Build

So. Here is what i think will keep me happy for the next several years. My original goal was around $1500. I then decided against using my current case and against moving over (rebuilding) an existing RAID 0. So that put me over, but i'm ok with that.
    The only real uncertainty i have are with the cooler and memory. I do plan to OC some, not crazy, but some.
    The memory should be what i need, again i may try to OC it to squeeze out a little more performance. I know memory is a bit overpriced lately, but i'm ready to go....I think.
    Power supply was already purchased, it is the CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
    Item=N82E16817139011

The plan is critical files on the SSD, storage in the Raid 0. I have an existing backup solution. I acknowledge the Intel SSDs are the pricier of the group, but I trust the controller and this one will have a firmware upgrade soon and will support TRIM.

Am i missing or overlooking something critical or even trivial? Please, suggest away. I want to make sure i'm making good on a significant investment. (Oh, and i have a great surge protector before you ask ;) )

[email protected] $19 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    Model #: DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
    Item #:N82E16827135204

[email protected] $80 CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
    Model #:CWCH50-1
    Item #:N82E16835181010

[email protected] $130 COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Model #:RC-932-KKN1-GP
    Item #:N82E16811119160

[email protected] $290 ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Model #:P6X58D Premium
    Item #:N82E16813131614

[email protected] $440 GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    Model #:GV-N460OC-1GI
    Item #:N82E16814125333

[email protected] $299 Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
    Model #:BX80601950
    Item #:N82E16819115211

[email protected] $200 Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Model #:SSDSA2MH080G2R5
    Item #:N82E16820167023

[email protected] $155 G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
    Model #:F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
    Item #:N82E16820231335

[email protected] $130 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Model #:WD6401AALS
    Item #:N82E16822136319

[email protected] $100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    Model #:GFC-00599
    Item #:N82E16832116754
    1843 + 170(PSU): 2013
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Re: RFC, ThirdSin's PC Build

I'm still not that big a fan of nVidia's current generation of high performance cards but the 460s should do you fine. Otherwise, no real obvious problems I see on a cursory glance.

Comment

Looks fine to me. Like Flar, I'm not a fan of nVidia's current cards, but the 460 at it's current price point makes it a best buy given the lowered temps and noise.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The GF104 is a great chip and I'm an AMD fanboy. I wouldn't touch the GF100 with a ten foot pole, though. However, if it was me, I'd wait for a month and buy one of ATI's new Southern Islands cards that are coming out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
          The GF104 is a great chip and I'm an AMD fanboy. I wouldn't touch the GF100 with a ten foot pole, though. However, if it was me, I'd wait for a month and buy one of ATI's new Southern Islands cards that are coming out.
          Yeah, I have to agree with Buckets. Just wait a bit until the cards come out, but overall the build looks great.

Comment

Gents, can't thank you enough for the input.

@ Those recommending cases.
            All look beautiful. The HAF ended up being the balance of space, PRICE, and functionality. I have filters in my current rig, so i'll be monitoring the dust issue.

@ The cooler suggestions.
            I almost went with a NH-U12P, i'm it would fit fine with the case and board. I'll end up with the h50 bc i've never had a water cooling solution, and its too damn intriguing (read 'shiny') to pass up.

@ Proc suggestions
            Completely hear you on the i5 worthiness. I almost went with a 1156 build with an i5. But the price differential after all was said and done was just too close not to go with the 1366 i7. My future videoediting plans also factored in.

@ GPU suggestions
            I concur, the nvidias are a bit toasty. The non reference cooler on it sold me. Broke my heart not going with EVGA, i really like them, but they just dont have a close alternative cooler solution for the 460s (not on Newegg at least!).

@ HD suggestions
            Single drive wouldn't have enough performance unless i went with an (IMO) overpriced Velociraptor. RAID 0 performance increase is worth it. And i have a networked backup solution already, so data is secure.

I look forward to seeing and shooting you first on the battlefield
            Also plan on picking up ARMA once this beaut is assembled, should be fun.
            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Saw this combo on a deals forum if you want to save some money. I don't see much difference between the boards....
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.505979
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Hope I am not too late TS. Here is the Graphics cards specs on the new ATI range:

If true, a nice step up. Will make current stuff cheaper too. That rig will eat up ArmA 2! :)
                (Particularly the SSD)

Comment

Decisions decisions... I wish ATI sent out a few reference cards for some sites to review! Might make the decision easier.

Comment

I would at least 2x the ram if you are planning on using this rig for 3 years. I currently have 12 gigs in my i7-960 setup... any intense data usage will eat through 6 gigs really quickly. I routinely have 9 to 10 gigs of usage. (I do not use a page file) - but the boost in performance from being able to stop the disk read/writes is worth the $$$. - not to mention the future proofing.

When I started at network42.com (tacticalgamer.com to you younger ones), I built a custom rig that had everyone drooling. AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 1gig DDR 333, radeon 9700pro, 2 120gig WD SE drives (8meg cache). I spent 1200.00 on it - 8 years ago, and it could play Ghost Recon at 60+ FPS with everything on high at 1600x1200. I would now throw that computer out unless it was a laptop... and then, it would be a web surfer. (my wife's netbook has 2x the ram and hdd)

I know 8 years is forever, but my point is - I would not consider a laptop with less than 4 gigs of ram, and a desktop with less than 8 gigs. It makes that much difference.

I have a c2q 8200 at home with 8gigs, and an identical computer at work with 6gigs. the difference is so noticable when working in photoshop and premiere, I stopped using my work computer for anything but dreamweaver / websurfing / publisher / LIGHT photoshop work (smaller than 3000x3000px). When I got my i7, I turned off my c2q and haven't powered it up since (I have all but parted it out at this point). the 12gigs makes more difference than the cpu with what I do.... and I would almost bet loading a DVD worth of game would benefit the same way.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Very good point. My experience; current rig started with 2GB (and Vista). Yea, I know... Upgraded later to it's current 6GB DDR800 (Win 7) and it was an amazing change. I also moved from a 3 disk RAID 5 to a 2 disk RAID 0, so i'm sure that didnt hurt (mobo controller, not indy - yea, i know...).
                      I think i got a little caught up on CAS timings and not simple quantity. I guess the concept of RAM being a bottleneck is still a very foreign concept. I guess it's time to reset my thinking now that SSDs are here to stay.

Speaking of new technology, WHERE IS MY FLYING CAR!?

Comment

Ehhhh. More than 6gigs on a gaming machine at this stage is meaningless. If you're doing a lot of actual work that requires it, then yes, more is better.

Comment

key words... at this point ...future proofing a machine you want to last means overkill on the ram first... they don't come out with newer, fast ram every 12 - 18 months like cpu's and gpu's... DDR3 is here for awhile... just stock up and be done with it.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

As for hard drive, I would not go with WD since they use plastic ball bearings that break quickly. I have had 4 WD break within 2 years. I would go with 2 Samsung spinpoint F3 1000gbs in raid 0. I have that combination and I get 200mb read/write speeds and I've had them for 2 years without any issues. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
                            |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Agree with Socom regards the Samsungs. I took his advice and ordered 2 x F3 1TB drives and get over 200mb/s read/write. Still get the SSD if you can afford it but use the Samsungs as your main storage. I never trusted Samsung, never been a fan of their stuff, but these things are FAST and quiet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X