Just the Fax, Ma'am

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just the Fax, Ma'am

I'm finding the need to send and receive faxes lately, mostly to exchange signed legal documents, and I've not had a modem in my machine since forever. What does TG recommend for fax implementations?

I'm independently looking for a good scanner for photographs so that should serve as the input end of a fax system. I'm more interested in what PC-based software and modems are available. Or in possible alternatives like Internet fax services. In the latter, I'm wondering how privacy is handled.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Just the Fax, Ma'am

internet faxes are usually encrypted on the pay services. they email you the fax as a pdf.

popping a modem in your computer and getting fax software is a better option - IF you have an analog home phone & you never use it. xp (and most likely vista and 7) have the software built in. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...october21.mspx
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
      I'm independently looking for a good scanner for photographs so that should serve as the input end of a fax system. I'm more interested in what PC-based software and modems are available. Or in possible alternatives like Internet fax services. In the latter, I'm wondering how privacy is handled.
      Well, while it's not PC-based, I recently replaced my mother's old POS printer for a newer multifunction one that was on sale for about $80 from Best Buy: Canon Pixma MX340. It has fax and scan built into it (though the scanner is obviously not going to be highly prestigious in its quality). Just mentioning it.

Comment

My old Epson 14" flatbed scanner has been pretty reliable. I took it to the office (a startup) and it's turned into a workhorse for archiving all kinds of documents, from checks to P/Os to invoices.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I had used a fax machine for some years and itís so uncomfortable. Then I have tried PopFax.com internet fax service and itís so reliable. It lets me to save money on fax machine, potential repairs, and it is environmentally friendly, because it doesnít require consume of paper and toner. Also I can receive and send faxes while traveling, as long as I can get an internet connection.

Comment

I've got the scanner side covered now. I just got a huge Epson flatbed:

http://www.largedocuments.com/scanne...n10000XL.shtml

I'm currently working on the phone side of things. I've installed Hylafax on my Linux server and I have a Zoomtel 3095 fax modem (about the size of a DSL filter) plugged into a USB port, with the Linux driver installed. http://www.zoomtel.com/techsupport/dial_up/3095F.shtml

My server is some distance from where my phone line enters the house so I have to run the line across the house next before it's all working.

Once it's all set up, incoming faxes will go to a shared Samba folder on the server and an email notification will be broadcast to all the users in the house. Outgoing faxes will be sent to a Samba shared printer.

Comment

I also recently gained the need to send and receive faxes. I just bought a $59 all-in-one, an HP 4500, works great.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X