Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ueli

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11430069

Ran across this article and thought it was news worthy. New boards should be utilizing this technology by next year (just in time for my new build).

Title should be all caps but isn't posting properly.
    Last edited by LpBronco; 10-11-2010, 01:16 PM.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Re: Ueli

UEFI, not UELI.

I said this on FB to another friend:

We're not likely to see it even next year, maybe the year after since they've been making the same promise the last 5-6 years that it's going to roll out on the "next year's boards".
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Re:UEFI

Sorry, in trying to get it to title in caps I last track of the initials. Thanks for clarifying, post edited.
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

There are already BIOS options out there that boot fast? Hell, the ASUS board I used to use in this machine could boot in 4 seconds if I optimized it to do so. The other parts of UEFI? Nice, if they come as-promised and with just as much stability as we're used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
          There are already BIOS options out there that boot fast? Hell, the ASUS board I used to use in this machine could boot in 4 seconds if I optimized it to do so. The other parts of UEFI? Nice, if they come as-promised and with just as much stability as we're used to.
          Aye, but those parts aren't really "optimized" parts. All these modified BIOSes does is simply turn on the "quick boot" option which disables POST, initial RAM tests (aka memory check), and in most cases skips the print out of connected components. That's why it's a "4 second" boot time since it immediately jumps to load Windows.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

isn't that all that anyone cares about though. making the phone ring for all the components. most vendors hide the bios output, and the ram check on 12 gigs could take 10 seconds. if bios can make the cpu see a hdd, cdrom, usb, nic, video, and input... score. that should be able to be accomplished in a microsecond (other than the hdd maybe) it is the configuration settings that hit the brakes.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
              isn't that all that anyone cares about though. making the phone ring for all the components. most vendors hide the bios output, and the ram check on 12 gigs could take 10 seconds. if bios can make the cpu see a hdd, cdrom, usb, nic, video, and input... score. that should be able to be accomplished in a microsecond (other than the hdd maybe) it is the configuration settings that hit the brakes.
              No (for most consumers yes, but what about the other 10% that build for those consumers? Or those like us who build our own rigs?). Read Wikipedia's article on UEFI. It highlights all the major points and is something system builders have been looking forward to for many years (especially those who build boxes for server rooms and whatnot).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Like I said, if it comes as-promised and just as stable, if not moreso as BIOS has been (for the most part that is--yes, I am aware of the issues that a BIOS can and does have), then I'll be pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                  Like I said, if it comes as-promised and just as stable, if not moreso as BIOS has been (for the most part that is--yes, I am aware of the issues that a BIOS can and does have), then I'll be pleased.
                  Well some boards have implemented portions of the Framework (such as those Intel chipset based boards since the 945), but it's just that none of them have totally implemented EFI/UEFI 2.1.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As Acreo said, they have been promising this for years.
                    But looks like it might actually happen.....
                    This was just posted yesterday:
                    Swedish website tries out Sandy Bridge motherboard with BIOS-replacing UEFI
                    Can't wait for my "bios" to start looking like this:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      As Acreo said, they have been promising this for years.
                      But looks like it might actually happen.....
                      This was just posted yesterday:
                      Swedish website tries out Sandy Bridge motherboard with BIOS-replacing UEFI
                      Can't wait for my "bios" to start looking like this:

Wow...that's the most complete UEFI (and beyond) implementation I've seen yet (if that's even real functioning).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X